Compatible mounts and cases

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I remember seeing a thread on the main V forum talking about cases and car mounts.

Since it hasn't made its way here I figured better get something going.

I'm using the LG Vortex car mount from Verizon. It works perfectly and is the best looking mount Ive seen for any of the phones. It doesn't look like a universal mount half arsed modified to work with the phone. My Droid X mount looked like a universal mount modified for the Droid X.

OEM Verizon LGVS660MNT Navigational Car Mount for LG Vortex VS660
lg_vs660_mnt_1.jpg

I couldnt get it to pull up on Verizon's site. Maybe somebody else can.

Add your favorite mount or case below.

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Bicycle Mount

I spend alot of time on my electric bike, and I think I've finally found a couple of good mounts, though they are expensive, and requires a small bit of modding to get the functionality I desire. The first is cheaper than the second price wise, no idea which is better, they both seem to be pretty much the same. Search on YouTube and you can find several videos for both.

Tigra Technologies Bike Console for iPhone 3G/3GS
1001988_IPH1010_A_600.jpg

You Tube Video
Google Shopping Search for "tigra iphone bike mount"

Biologic Bike Mount™ for iPhone 3G/3GS
BioLogic-BikeMount-1-vert.jpg

You Tube Review with water poured over it
Biologic Bike Mount™ for iPhone 3G/3GS (Biologic website with video)
Amazon listing (best price about $52, not cheap)

These both appear to be pretty much the same, though there are a couple of different models of each. I'm just looking at the 3GS versions, since that's the closest in dimensions to the V.

The case is waterproof (resistant? probably), and has a very sleek and minimalistic design. You can use the touchscreen through the case's cover screen. The charger port is supposed to be accessible. There is an opening for the iPhone 3GS's camera, but the V is in a different position, so no taking videos while riding without modding. Not sure if the headpone jack will be accessible, but there's always BT. It has 360 rotation, and a small mounting bracket. It has an iPhone home button mechanism, not sure if it will activate any of the V's buttons. (For the functionality of the buttons, there are apps such as SwipePad that can give access to all button functions from any screen.)

If you read the reviews, 90% of the negative ones report the cover latch is not secure enough allowing the phone to pop out if you go over a bump, and that you need to use a rubber band or some other solution to keep the cover closed. This is a major issue, but if it can be solved with something as simple as a rubber band as posted by reviewers, I'm sure a simple and elegant solution can be achieved relatively easily. I'm thinking a small piece of velcro should do the trick.

It's pricey, and needs some modding, but I love the sleek look as opposed to the ones that look like a frankenstein/terminator hand. Not sure if I'm going to order one yet, still looking for options, but the sleek design and water protection do have me interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetskiMark

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You mention took some modding. Was it just to fit your bike or the case in general?

is it pretty rugged mounted or soso? Im looking to find something similar for when Im on my atv. I dont see the need for another gps device since this one works pretty good.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one yet, am ordering one tonite, will post more info when it arrives. There shouldn't be any modding necessary out of the box. There are several reviews on youtube and Amazon. I especially like the video review I posted a link to above where the guy pours a bottle of water over the case and the phone comes out dry. I've viewed video of the side latched version of this mount that shows water getting inside (the video was of the side latched Tigra model, which I have not posted about here). There are also youtube video reviews showing it attached to a motorcycle, so I'm sure mounting on your atv shouldn't be too difficult, though I would reinforce the latch with a strap or rubber band for safety.

There's really no modding necessary, I just like to mess up perfectly good things for no apparent reason! ;)
By modding, I was referring mainly to three things:
--The home button on the case is in the center ala iPhone's. I'm hoping I can sand/dremel off a portion of this button's interior mechanism and have it work to activate the home button on the V.
--The reviews I've read indicate some have had their phone come out of these types of cases when hitting a big bump. The simple solution they have posted is a rubber band, but I was thinking of adding a 1/4" velcro strap, since rubber bands dry out pretty fast here in Vegas.
--The camera opening is in the wrong spot for our phones. Careful work with a dremel could make it possible to video on the road. However, after watching some of the youtube video, the image is pretty distorted when taking video through the lens opening on these cases, so I may not even bother.

I just used Google Shopping to search for the Biologic brand, and found that Amazon appears to be having a close out. Marked down from $59.99 to $17.23. I can't pass it up at that price, and there are only 7 left, 6 as soon as I click to buy! Will let you know how it works when I receive it.

BioLogic Bike Mount for iPhone (fits 3, 3G, 3GS)
List Price: $59.99
Price: $17.23 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $42.76 (71%)

Edit: Just purchased, with shipping came to under $23.
Edit: Checking on my order, noticed it now says "In Stock" and now at $16.59, might pick up another ;)
Edit: Now it says ships in 1 to 3 weeks, still at the lower price, but I bet that's all they have.
Edit: Now it says 4 left in stock, I think they may be cleaning a warehouse out

Last edited:
Reactions: JetskiMark

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Took my first ride to work with the new mount, and I'm very happy so far. Here are some pics unboxing and mounting, important notes (and unimportant ones ;)) are below the images:

img20110401102336.jpg
img20110401102428.jpg

img20110401102550.jpg
img20110401102626.jpg

img20110401103216.jpg
img20110401103840.jpg

img20110401103909.jpg
img20110401103917.jpg

img20110401103931.jpg
img20110401103944.jpg

A few things to note:

--Notice in pic 4 the cover screen is not very well adhered. It may be water resistant, but until I find some way to seal it better without affecting the fit, I won't be pouring any water over it! I'm also concerned with how it will handle the Vegas sunshine and heat, it's brutal here, especially on plastics. I probably won't leave it outside too much when not using it.

--Notice in pic 5 how the strap that goes around the handlebars is going into it's slot. Don't try to bring it down from above like I did the first time, that will only remove some of the adhesive that holds the rubber gripper to the strap! (lesson learned, no harm done) The rubber gripper gives it a good firm grip without tightening to the point of fearing you will strip it out. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN! Once the screw mechanism is snug, try to wiggle the bracket around, and tighten it slowly till it is firm.

--Excuse the messy garage in pic 6, but I wanted to show a backside view of the mounting strap attached. (spring cleaning is just around the corner)

--It is a shiny screen, so angle is important for good viewing, and screen on full brightness. The button works fine to activate the home button so long as you press it towards the home button. The screen is responsive enough through the protective screen to use, just have to press down harder. Swiping and gestures are more difficult, but icon/button presses are easy. With a headset and google voice commands, plus a couple of other apps, you have complete control over your phone inside it's protective case.

--The Optimus V is a snug fit by depth and height, but has a bit of side-side sliding room, a couple of thin strips of foam on either side takes care of that. Depth may be just a bit off, not certain if it is fully waterproof with the V inside as the edges don't appear fully closed with the phone in it (looks may be deceiving here), and I don't intend to test (I'm in Vegas, hardly ever rains anyway)

--It does rotate 360, forgot to snap a pic showing that

--The clasp was secure enough to hold it tight for the 2 miles ride to work and back. Minimal bumps along the way, but I was still nervous the entire time. Just for piece of mind, I'm going to put a rubber band around it, gotta find a small fat black one.

My final thought: If you can get it for the cheap price, I got it for $23 including shipping from Amazon, I highly recommend it. If you have to pay more than $50, I would consider looking for something better.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was just thinking about this today.

Would you recommend this for a atv?
I would like to find something "water resistant" and durable enough to take some abuse from the trails. I plan on modifying a car charger to be able to plug my phone in so I have constant power and no worry with the battery dieing from gps use.

I like keeping it open and with the ability to trace your route it makes planing rides easy later.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the Biologic case would be fine for an ATV, so long as you do something to insure it doesn't come open (a rubber band or velcro strap will do fine). I've been riding with it for about two weeks now, and haven't had any issues, even when hitting good bumps. But I haven't taken it off-road yet.

I looked at the case you refer to, but I didn't like the idea of it bouncing around inside the soft case. The Biologic case keeps it steady with little to no vibrations.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the Biologic case would be fine for an ATV, so long as you do something to insure it doesn't come open (a rubber band or velcro strap will do fine). I've been riding with it for about two weeks now, and haven't had any issues, even when hitting good bumps. But I haven't taken it off-road yet.

I looked at the case you refer to, but I didn't like the idea of it bouncing around inside the soft case. The Biologic case keeps it steady with little to no vibrations.

yeah not sure if it comes with all those spacers or not.
Looking at how it mounts scares me as in my experience they tend to be easily bumped loose.

I think Imma pick one of them up and try it. For 20ish bucks I can always slap my ipod touch in it. lol I also liked how it looks like I can modify it to accept a charger cord without interfering with the lock mechanism.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the LG Vortex car mount from Verizon. It works perfectly and is the best looking mount Ive seen for any of the phones. It doesn't look like a universal mount half arsed modified to work with the phone. My Droid X mount looked like a universal mount modified for the Droid X.

lg_vs660_mnt_1.jpg

I just picked one of these up on eBay. Thanks for the recommendation...

And its absolutely perfect! Even a hole for the camera and speaker on the back. I hadn't even thought of that.

Last edited:

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I remember seeing a thread on the main V forum talking about cases and car mounts.

Since it hasn't made its way here I figured better get something going.

Click to view quoted image

I couldnt get it to pull up on Verizon's site. Maybe somebody else can.

Add your favorite mount or case below.

so i'm curious about getting this product. how high and where do you normally mount it? right under the rearview mirror or closer to the dashboard. i was just looking in my car this morning, and i'm worried that it would be a little out of reach because the pictures make it look like it doesn't stick out very far. also, does it affect your driving?

briangig

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I am looking for a mount for my Optimus V for my bicycle. I was hoping you could answer some questions about the Vortex navigation mount for me. I want to use just the holder part, not going to use the suction cup or the arm.

I see the phone holder part that holds the phone itself comes apart/needs to be attached to the suction mount when purchased correct?

Are there screw holes or other mounting points on the back of the holder that I could use to somehow modify the holder for bike mount?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I am looking for a mount for my Optimus V for my bicycle. I was hoping you could answer some questions about the Vortex navigation mount for me. I want to use just the holder part, not going to use the suction cup or the arm.

I see the phone holder part that holds the phone itself comes apart/needs to be attached to the suction mount when purchased correct?

Are there screw holes or other mounting points on the back of the holder that I could use to somehow modify the holder for bike mount?
The vortex mount is not good for bikes. I actually dont recommend it for auto use either anymore. The little clip piece is very fragile if you use the mount daily it will break in no time at all. The mounts Jerry posted about would be better for bikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance