Trying to Root

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. Im new here, I'm switching to the Revo from my HTC Thunderbolt and am trying to understand how to root. Im on a mac and i don't see a method for me. Am i screwed? I read the root install stickied but it was for windows. Anyone know what i need? Thank you.

CarbonRink

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
You can do it from the mac. i did. the one thing though is make sure you are running version 4 on version 6. If you have downloaded the update you will not be able to root.

Check XDA forums for more help.

DM

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
You can do it from the mac. i did. the one thing though is make sure you are running version 4 on version 6. If you have downloaded the update you will not be able to root.

Check XDA forums for more help.

DM

I checked XDA. Doesn't seem to be a lot of Dev support like with my Thunderbolt. But at least i know its possible. Do i use the SuperOneClick? Because i downloaded it but couldn't get it to launch.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
If it is brand new, then it will almost certainly have ver 6 software. That version is unrootable at the present.

To check when you get the phone, go to Settings-About Phone scroll down to SW Version. If it says VS910ZV6 then you will not be able to root at this point. If you have version VS910ZV4 you can use Super 1 Click to root.

The only way to root V6 is to downgrade to V4 then root. There are instructions for downgrading on xDa in the Revolution section.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. Are there any instructions on how to use S1C on a mac though? I tried it and downloaded mono but it won't work. It won't open.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea I've read that thread. Im pretty familiar with everything seeing as i have a rooted Thunderbolt and have ran tons of Roms. My main thing is finding a root method for my mac. I can worry about CWR and such later. But i don't have a PC so i need a mac method. Or else I'm gonna have to run this thing stock. So if anyone finds a method, i will greatly appreciate it.

Im not too worried seeing as from what I've been hearing, the Dev community is very small at the moment. So i know I'm not missing much, but nevertheless i still would like to root. Thanks for all you guys help!

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Could you use something like Parallels to run Windows? You could use Boot Camp which is what I do on my Macbook to dual boot Windows.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Thats possible but wouldn't that require me purchasing windows? Because i don't have the disk. So if i do that, ill probably wait until Windows 8 is released so ill at least be buying the latest version of windows lol.