[HOW TO] Root the LG Revolution

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
READ THIS POST, THEN >>CLICK HERE<<

Zennmaster has refined this since it was written. Be sure to thank him.

***********************************************************************************************************************
Courtesy Rootzwiki

You're going to need to use adb. Don't fret, it's easy and it's always good to learn :)

Set up the Android SDK.

Turn on USB debugging on your phone.

Download the attached files, and extract them out of their zips. Place them in your SDK/platform-tools folder.

Open your command line utility (this works on Windows, Linux or Mac) and navigate to the SDK/Platform-tools folder.

Enter the following, one line at a time:
Code:
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
adb shell 
./data/local/temp/rage
exit 
adb push su /system/bin 
adb shell 
chmod 755 /system/bin/su

You're rooted. Hit the market and install superuser, and busybox
Superuser
Busybox

Reactions: kibblebits

navycow

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Wait, what about drivers? I tried the drivers on the Verizon Mobile cdrom that gets installed when I plug it in and the drivers from LGs website. I still get usb device not recognized and nothing in adb devices. Should I be looking somewhere else, or is my computer not happy?

Reactions: sean mayers

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Wait, what about drivers? I tried the drivers on the Verizon Mobile cdrom that gets installed when I plug it in and the drivers from LGs website. I still get usb device not recognized and nothing in adb devices. Should I be looking somewhere else, or is my computer not happy?

Put it in Internet Connection mode first.

ufkal

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
OK, I still can't get it to recognize. either in window or adb. Any specific help? I'm not new to rooting, this is just messing with me.

ufkal

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
./data/local/temp/rage: permission denied

did u install the LG bootstrapper ufkal?

I believe I did...silly software ran, and then tried to install the auto update software. So do I try to install again? or should I have not installed it?

S.Meezy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
That's what i did to get it to recognize in adb. Ur sure ur in debug and internet connect?

Used the rootzwiki instructions but can't get permission to push su : read only.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

ufkal

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what i did to get it to recognize in adb. Ur sure ur in debug and internet connect?

Used the rootzwiki instructions but can't get permission to push su : read only.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

got it to finally recognize in adb, (Still showing unknown in device manager) and get the permission to push su :read only as well

Zennmaster

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
got it to finally recognize in adb, (Still showing unknown in device manager) and get the permission to push su :read only as well

Type thusly:

adb shell

if you get "$" for a prompt, then:

su

When you get a "#" prompt, then:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system

You can then exit the shell and push su.

However, I can't seem to get the root to persist through a reboot.

Let me know how it goes!

-Z

Zennmaster

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Alternate rooting method that worked for me!

Following the method in the OP achieved root for me, but would not persist through a reboot. Here is a revised procedure that seems to be working great!

Just like the original method, get ADB working (I'm using Linux, BTW, so I can't really help with Windows issues).

Make sure you have "Internet Connection" selected as your USB connection mode, and USB Debugging selected in Menu -> Applications -> Development (as previously discussed, USB debugging will remain greyed out until Internet Connection is selected).

Grab SU and Rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, linked in the OP, and busybox, which I have attached below.

Place all three files in a convenient location for pushing with adb (your /[Path-To-SDK]/platform-tools directory would be a great idea)

From your terminal, type:

adb push su /data/local/temp
adb push rageagainsthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
adb push busybox /data/local/temp

Now enter adb shell:

adb shell

You will now see a "$" prompt.

Type:

./data/local/temp/rage

Now wait until you get kicked all the way back to your terminal prompt. If you see the "$", don't do anything, just keep waiting! When it's done you'll be all the way out of ADB, which you will now need to restart.

Get back to the adb shell:

adb shell

Now you need to remount your /system directory as read/write, so type:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
cd /system/bin
cat /data/local/temp/su > su
cat /data/local/temp/busybox > busybox
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

At this point, you may way to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp:

(optional)
rm /data/local/temp/su
rm /data/local/temp/busybox
rm /data/local/temp/rage

Then reboot:

reboot

When your phone reboots, go to the market and download Superuser.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!

Last edited:

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
Thanks dude, gonna give this a go tonight. Been fighting with windows like it's cool. same problem as everyone else with not being able to push su.

For those having trouble getting ADB access:

-Connect phone to computer in Charge Only mode
-Install the LG Bootstrapper that comes up (this will install ALL Drivers)
-Change your USB connection to Internet Connection (after it registers with the drivers, you will see the ADB icon in your status bar (looks like an android bug/ladybug)
-open your terminal or command prompt, navigate to your adb folder like in the above post
-type adb devices, if you see a device id there (think it's S/N but not sure), you're good to proceed.

Kalvinl

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Superone click method

Superone click worked for me. Download the latest version with gingerbreak support and make sure you use that instead of psneuter or whatever it's called. Keep usb debugging off until after you press root then when it says waiting for device turn on usb debugging and it should work properly because that's what I did. Most of you probably know that being in Internet connection mode is the right one to be in for this process. Let me know if you have problems and sorry it's not in step by step format I'm typing this from my revolution

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
Would've used S1c, but...

S1C application opens on my laptop, but it bluescreens when I connect the phone.
Phone connects to Desktop just fine, but S1C won't open (well, "Force Closes")

Both running Win7x64. :/

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
Question for ya, when you take a screenshot with ShootMe or drocap2, do they come out off colored, mine are coming out purple and red.

Oh, and i got the windows method figured out :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non