LG Spectrum Vs. Galaxy Nexus Vs. Droid RAZR

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I will be getting one of these devices next month.

Does anybody know if the LG has NFC and "beaming"? Are there other features that are missing from the LG that the GN has?

From my novice perspective the only significant difference is the camera.

Any thoughts or ideas given that the LG is still a few days away from being field tested?

Thanks,
David

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I will be getting one of these devices next month.

Does anybody know if the LG has NFC and "beaming"? Are there other features that are missing from the LG that the GN has?

From my novice perspective the only significant difference is the camera.

Any thoughts or ideas given that the LG is still a few days away from being field tested?

Thanks,
David

Slower updates, lg has a history with phones with a lot of issues and never issuing fixes for them(g2x, revolution) Other than that it does not have ICS but looks like a nice phone. I just can't get past the cartoonish UI that lg uses.

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
My issues with the Nexus that I returned yesterday (bought it on launch day) were with dropped signals and calls, very poor camera and no VZW support for Samsung accessories. Neither the desk or car docks made for the GSM model are or will be available from Verizon. I also don't like the power and headphone jacks on the bottom of the phone. Wouldn't be an issue if the screen rotated 180 degrees. But on ICS, it only rotates 90 degrees. So it's portrait with the cables out of the bottom or landscape. Forget about putting it in a car's cup holder.

Nice device but the hardware (other than the screen) is early 2011.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My issues with the Nexus that I returned yesterday (bought it on launch day) were with dropped signals and calls, very poor camera and no VZW support for Samsung accessories. Neither the desk or car docks made for the GSM model are or will be available from Verizon. I also don't like the power and headphone jacks on the bottom of the phone. Wouldn't be an issue if the screen rotated 180 degress like it does on Gingerbread. But on ICS, it only rotates 90 degrees. So it's portrait with the cables out of the bottom or landscape. Forget about putting it in a car's cup holder.

Nice device but the hardware (other than the screen) is early 2011.

No, it most certainly is not.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
i played with one at the store yesterday. nice screen for sure. very laggy though, not sure it was vzw's demo software...

the camera was impressive.

not liking LG's skin. the app drawer is idiotic and unintuitive. you have to memorize what category the apps are in to quickly find them instead of having an alphabetically organized widget selection like every other phone on earth.

tazcordo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
You can uninstall all the categories other than apps preinstalled or downloads. you can also make your own categories. There is some lag but not more than rezound. the store demo creates lag in all phones

Last edited:

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I played w/ this and the Galaxy Nexus at a Verizon store yesterday. I'm amazed the screen looks better (blacker blacks, and more contrast) than the Nexus screen. I thought SAMOLED was supposed to be one of the best screens?
I was just floored w/ the LG screen...the Nexus one looked washed out by comparison :-(

The LG is physically longer by at least 1/4" though...and it's not as rounded on the corners so it feels bigger :-(
LG has had a history of slowwwww updates. Not sure if they decided to unlock their bootloader so you can install CM9 on it.
And the lag is probably because the LG didn't have ICS on it...

RAZR isn't even in the same class as the other two IMHO...unless you want something that's thinner than both and it still bulges for part of it. Screen isn't nearly as good (my priority is a nice screen in case you haven't noticed :)
My app doesn't work on the LG or Nexus...damn high res screens...icons are too small so you can't even drag them properly :p This probably means there will be some app compatibility w/ these HD screens for a while until app developers iron out the kinks...

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I too found the LG to have a nicer screen than the GN. I played with the LG at a local store that didn't have the demo software installed and browsing the web was a bit more laggier than even the Rezound(which it is pretty much identical to spec wise) and of course the GN. But, on the other hand the GN right now has its own lag issue when the screen rotates and the colors were less accurate imho even vs the AMOLED display of the Razr. I am told AMOLED is suppose to offer better viewing ability in direct sunlight, even vs the brighter IPS display of the LG. It is a touch choice if you value screen quality and timely updates/latest software.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
amoled just oversaturates the colors, which is what people like as evidenced by it's popularity.

screens like the rezound and spectrum have will offer more accurate colors.

i like my GN screen. honestly couldn't tell if the lg was better or not. didn't play with it that long.

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I knew that was the case, but the odd part was the Razr, which is also AMOLED, had more accurate colors imho vs the Rezound, and was only bested by the Spectrum. I would more than like go with the the Galaxy Nexus because I think on my phone I value better software/faster updates than a better screen. Plus, the LG interface is really bad, and I could not stand the odd way of how they group things in the launcher. Not to mention how laggy the phone can be because of the extra bloat(I think).
I am not sure if it's locked or not, and people would be stuck with certain kernels and roms like many of the recent owners of phones from the Moto Droid line(I'm included). Now if a full root was certain then the LG in many ways has the potential to be a better device than the Galaxy Nexus(call quality or battery life are the only real question)?

On a side note, based on the AT&T version the Nitro, how is the battery life? And between the TI cpu in the Galaxy Nexus vs the S3 Snapdragon in the LGs, which is the better cpu when it comes to performance and real world usage?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The screen is incredible. I won one of the first ones on eBay in an auction, but I'm still debating whether to actually get it. The skin wasn't as offensive as I thought and the build quality was actually quite good, but I'm worried about being able to sell it quickly if I decide not to keep it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The screen is incredible. I won one of the first ones on eBay in an auction, but I'm still debating whether to actually get it. The skin wasn't as offensive as I thought and the build quality was actually quite good, but I'm worried about being able to sell it quickly if I decide not to keep it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

check out androidforums.com

people are complaining of extreme lag and returning it.

tazcordo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I only saw that one person returned it. I guess I have the only good spectrum. Not experiencing the "extreme lag" supposedly everyone else is. After owning the Rezound, GNex, and now this one, I really feel this is the best so far. The Rezound is a close second.

bloodycape77

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
How would your rate them screen wise in terms of color accuracy. I only used them all a bit in store, but I thought the Rezound was a bit muted in colors on the Coke site, but accurate. I liked the color accuracy, but the brightness seemed to be lacking a bit vs the other two. LG was the best. How is the outside usability on all three? What about battery life? Thanks.

DarwinsFolly

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine Sat the 14th and with moderate to heavy use (avg 5 games of words with friends at a time) I just make it through a 8 hr day with standard battery. Will be getting the extended.

Got ride of LG skin and running Go Launcher like it much better, but will root when avalible can't stand the bloat ware.

I had some lag and poor touch input at first. Watched the verizon rep remove shipping screen protector and just today notice that there was a second one on it (puckered from rubbing on case ) took it off and still ocasional lag but the touch is much more accurate. will be leaving it naked as I did on my DINC work in maintenace and constiantly but in pocket with keys and never had a scratch. Gorilla glass definatly a plus for me.

The screen is gorgeous and I had the Razr and returned it because I really noticed the tinting of the pentile but only 2/3 of my co-workers could see it.

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
When a new phone comes out that looks remotely interesting I head over to Verizon and spend an hour with it to see what it's like.

Mainly I'm looking forward to finding something that makes my Incredible look like the worst piece of tech imaginable and it'll make me go "wow, I need this right this second!"

So far...nothing yet

The LG Spectrum has the best screen of any phone...I watched 3 videos on Youtube in HD on all 3 phones and was floored when the Avengers trailer started its explosions and it almost looked like a window I was looking through. Second, LG arranges their app drawer in pre-existing files so when you download a game it automatically shows up in a "games" drawer. I actually thought this was imaginative and something I might have done anyway. The browser loaded fast (I was in the store, so I'd hope so), and loaded websites like aintitcoolnews let me see the entire website clearly. The touch responsiveness was instant and the pinch to zoom worked fine with slight lag to re-alignment. I did NOT like the layout of the home screens or their touchwiz-wannabe feel. The phone itself was redonk light, but without picking it up I'd think it was heavy, a nice craftsmanship bonus. The home-button had an odd color to it and it looked kind of cheap. The bezel also was instant-cheap feeling when I held it. The 16:9 aspect ratio made it look elongated, something I actually preferred to the chunky RAZR.

The Nexus' interface is gorgeous--thank you 4.0--The phone looks much nicer, especially in landscape mode watching something than the LG. The built quality feels better, which should say alot considering Samsung's plastic-feeling everything. The buttons were great, the app menu was something like Launcher-Pro which is the best launcher anyway. The youtube differences were by far the worst part but its cool seeing Android make everything its own. The worst part was the browser auto-alignment, which made the text instant-cut and the picture stay the same, something that never changed in multiple websites. Overall the best UI goes to stock...no surprises there.

The RAZR is the best feeling handset ever. The nano-coating works, the Kevlar feels awesome, the phone itself is something Batman would be proud of. The user-interface is actually interesting and adds a lot which was shocking to me since I usually hate motoblur. The smart-settings are really cool and useful, and the slimness makes this a no-brainer for the person who wants to have a phone that NO QUESTION looks and feels like it'll eat the iPhone and it's children. However, which the MAXX coming out this is instantly out due to the non-removable battery...now, suppose this is the MAXX (and it is, save for the battery) has one flaw...the screen. Yes it looks better than mine (mine is the Original AMOLED 800x400 Incredible), this is 960x560 or something like that..NOT 720p...and the 3 videos showed it clearly...it still looked great but the pixels were evident.

Bottom line...Build/looks=RAZR, the LG looks kind of plain and the backing sucks with fingerprints, the Nexus I'd put a case on...this I wouldn't. Screen= LG..wow...thats it....UI=Nexus, hands down

So which phone is the best? Neither...it's sad but I prefer a good camera and screen over UI and feel so I can't say I'd buy the LG or the RAZR (and i was rrreallly hoping I'd buy the RAZR)...as of now the Nexus is still the best device on Verizon, maybe it would be closer if the LG didn't only have 4GB of internal storage (which we all know is really like 2GB)..if every single one was rooted and ICS thrown on them...hmm..maybe LG would win.

For $100 less than the Nexus the LG is probably the best bet for overall performance and screen, although the camera to me still lies with the Rezound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante