Anyone buying the Spectrum?

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This phone looks pretty solid for the 199 price. The IPS screen looks amazing. The ESPN HD app looks good too.

The main negative is that it does not have ICS. This is a non factor to me after returning the Nexus. It had way too many bugs and was not ready for prime time in my book.

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I would but in all honesty, the styling of the phone is not for me. Spec wise, it sounds great. The "looks" of the phone is severely disappointing to me. Way too conservative. Also, I read LG said it would not be updated to ICS until the second quarter. Too far off when considering LG is known for delaying updates. Probably will not see ICS until Jellybean hits lol.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Quick question - if all you do is surf the web and use apps, does ICS really buy you anything? At this point, I would say no. Might be a little faster but not much...

I would but in all honesty, the styling of the phone is not for me. Spec wise, it sounds great. The "looks" of the phone is severely disappointing to me. Way too conservative. Also, I read LG said it would not be updated to ICS until the second quarter. Too far off when considering LG is known for delaying updates. Probably will not see ICS until Jellybean hits lol.

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Nexus yesterday due to all of the hardware issues with the Samsung device. Poor camera, poor radios, no dock support from VZW, etc. Although I loved ICS and the screen was awesome! So I'm looking at all options.

The Spectrum looks nice but when TechCrunch did their interview with the guy in the LG booth, he said ICS in the second half of the year! That leaves it out for me.

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I returned my Nexus yesterday due to all of the hardware issues with the Samsung device. Poor camera, poor radios, no dock support from VZW, etc. Although I loved ICS and the screen was awesome! So I'm looking at all options.

The Spectrum looks nice but when TechCrunch did their interview with the guy in the LG booth, he said ICS in the second half of the year! That leaves it out for me.

No they said Q2 not H2. Q2 is second quarter (May-June), not second half.

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
No they said Q2 not H2. Q2 is second quarter (May-June), not second half.

I just watched again and they clearly said, second half of the year. And here's the direct quote from the site: What?s perhaps the worst news of all is that the LG Spectrum will ship with Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, and won?t get Ice Cream Sandwich until the second half of 2012.

Bummer.

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just watched again and they clearly said, second half of the year. And here's the direct quote from the site: What?s perhaps the worst news of all is that the LG Spectrum will ship with Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, and won?t get Ice Cream Sandwich until the second half of 2012.

Bummer.

Huh...I work for VZW and our LG rep said Q2...interesting.....

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I checked out the Spectrum. The display is nice, & it is very light,but I didn't care for the overlay. I wish they would include an on/off toggle for these crummy ui's. I don't think this will be my next phone. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I intend to take a look at this in the store in the next couple days (probably Sunday) but it looks solid and my only complaint about the Nitro was a small amount of lag but that phone has 767 RAM while this one has 1GB so that should be taken care of. We shall see.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I intend to take a look at this in the store in the next couple days (probably Sunday) but it looks solid and my only complaint about the Nitro was a small amount of lag but that phone has 767 RAM while this one has 1GB so that should be taken care of. We shall see.

Full price is only $589. Really not bad at all considering what you get for the price.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I checked out the Spectrum. The display is nice, & it is very light,but I didn't care for the overlay. I wish they would include an on/off toggle for these crummy ui's. I don't think this will be my next phone. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

I never owned an LG phone. What's the history regarding dev support? Is it easily 'hackable' (rooted)?

tazcordo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Bought the phone on launch day. So far I really like it. Have tried both the Rezound and GNex and I feel this is better than both. Not saying this phone is perfect, but no phone is. Just comparing plusses and minuses from all phones, this one is best for me and I really feel people should be taking a good hard look at this phone. Beautiful large display, nice camera, UI seems better than that on the Nitro HD and less resource intensive than Sense. So far I haven't found any bugs and no issues with apps running.