I know that it is probably not the best idea to ask this in a device-specific forum, but I'm asking in all three of them.

I am currently with Sprint and have a Samsung Epic. I love the phone (it is rooted) and HATE the service. I live in middle of Dallas/Ft. Worth, and yet cannot get data service most of the time from my house and work. Sprint says that it is the phone, but I doubt it as everyone I know with Sprint has been having problems. So I am looking for a change....

Back to the subject at hand...Verizon's data is looking the most attractive, even though it limited. The problem is that I can't decide on a device. I am swapping 2 phones, so I'd like to keep the price down. Verizon is currently offering the Bionic for $100 and the LG Spectrum for $100 ($200 but BOGO free and I need two). The Spectrum's screen is FANTASTIC and the Bionic's is horrible (compared to the Epic that we are used to). The Bionic's setup is similar to all the other Driods and seems as if the kinks are worked out. I would also expect to find more support on the forums and from Motorola due to the Driod's popularity, but I could be mistaken. The LG looks a lot like the Touchwiz that we are used to, and on paper is better. It has a better screen and faster processor and although it has less onboard memory, it has 4x what I am used to. My biggest concern is that the phone does not seem popular on the forums. I don't know how LG supports their phones, but with the Samsung I found that the forums had the best support. I'm also concerned that the lack of popularity will limit the rooting options. the battery seems similar for all three phones (MAXX is $300).

My third option (and probably first choice) is actually the RAZR, but it costs twice as much as the other two. Is the cost justifiable? It is frustrating knowing that they had it BOGO free not that long ago.

So, based on your experiences, which phone would you choose and why? Or do you think that I should look at AT&T or Sprint?
    04-09-2012 09:46 AM
    OK, I have an LG Spectrum and I love it. Is it perfect? No, but I believe it is superior to the other phones I considered (The Rezound, Galaxy Nexus, and RAZR). I love the screen and the capacitive buttons; the true RGD stripe (non-PenTile) screen is sharp and bright while the capacitive buttons mean you won't give up real estate to virtual on-screen buttons. As far as developers, I'm not too concerned because the phone works well out of the box.

Installing a different launcher (I started with Launcher Pro and am now on GO Launcher EX) makes a huge difference when it comes to usability. Rooting the phone and partially de-bloating it helped quite a bit, too. I get quite reasonable battery life out of it, and that will only get better when the eventual ICS update is released. I say this because ICS will be able to actually use the two cores, whereas Gingerbread can't.

That being said, I would recommend you do the BOGO offer and not look back.

Knowing where you live, though, I've heard AT&T is quite strong in your market. I'm on Verizon now but was on AT&T previously. I don't think you'd go wrong with either carrier, but that BOGO on a nice device like the LG Spectrum should make all the difference.

Good luck, my friend. Report back.
    5111 likes this.
    04-09-2012 10:53 AM
    I too have the spectrum. I like the phone and I have not had major problems with the phone itself. If you root and get autokiller, and there are tweaks the program offers which helps with the ui lag. Or as posted, and a launcher replacement helps. I use adw ex and it works well.

It's a great phone and has great specs. I can see that arguing about support would be an issue. However, I believe with time it will gain more popularity. There is a rom out for it and I'm sure more to follow. If verizon still has extended batteries available for 25 dollars, get them. You can ride 4G without worry. I tried juice defender for awhile and it was causing synching issues.

I would say go for it. The phone has a superior screen. The phone also will get ICS as stated and will only and hopefully make it better.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
    5111 likes this.
    04-09-2012 11:04 AM
    Knowing where you live, though, I've heard AT&T is quite strong in your market. I'm on Verizon now but was on AT&T previously. I don't think you'd go wrong with either carrier, but that BOGO on a nice device like the LG Spectrum should make all the difference.

I live in the middle of DFW, pay $10/month extra for 4G, and have never been able to connect to it. I spent the weekend in Haughton, LA (the fact that you've never heard of it should tell you something) and while I didn't even have phone service at his house with Sprint, my friend (on Verizon) had 4G and was downloading at 9MB. That was a wake-up call. Data service is a must for me.

We travel around the U.S. a fair amount and every time we don't have cell service, it seems like the people that live there have Verizon. That is a reason why I am leaning towards them. AT&T's international coverage is also tempting, but they have such a horrible reputation for customer service and I fight with them all the time about my home phone service.
    04-09-2012 11:26 AM
    Hate to jump forums, but at Android forums, you'll find a thread with links to buy the Spectrum for free with free shipping (and a cleaned ROM, the author is working on the next version incorporating the new stock update, which is not yet available either), that should make your decision there. Amazon had it for a penny two weeks ago. Not sure there current price. I bought mine from newegg for $19.99 30 days ago this week and am happy. Looking into a seidio extended battery though (used to it coming from an HTC Evo 4g with the Seidio 3500mAh)

Sent from my rooted LG Spectrum via tapatalk..
    04-09-2012 11:35 AM
    Go with the spectrum for sure. I saw it yesterday on newegg for one cent with a contract.
    04-09-2012 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD