Spectrum having constant problems...are they normal?

dragonfruit

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, sometimes I go to bed with my phone FULLY charged and I will wake up with a dead battery. Well, today that happened so I plugged it in, but now it will not turn on and it just keeps blinking lights as shown here: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qgs7rfaWKw[/YT] I have tried the extended battery, but could never find a case that worked with it and I didn't like its bulkiness so I returned it. Same issue happens to my mom's Spectrum so she just keeps it constantly plugged in (I told her it was bad for the battery). I turned off the auto-wifi, wifi notifications, used the power option widget to turn off the data signal at night and my battery still dies only after about 2 hours of use. I am mostly only texting and using Twitter. Occasionaly use FB or Instagram, but nothing heavy. Should I get a replacement phone and can I request a new one rather than a refurbished one?

dragonfruit

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's what my battery usage looks like. I've got JuiceDefender installed. Also, what exactly is this bluetooth stuff and can I turn it off and still have wifi/3g?
AsDdwj7CQAMw-JW.png

hollywoodS14

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
make sure your twitter, FB, email, and stuff like it set up to check/ sync manually. Check your google sync service also, that seemed to drain my battery pretty good. App updates, set those to manual also. Basically the more you let the phone do on its own, the quicker the battery will drain. If your battery still doesnt hold up, i would absolutely demand a replacement. There was an insurance option when i bought my phone for either a reman, or a new OE. So you might be able to swing that, i think i had 10 or 14 day period to accept the insurance option.

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
It looks like you probably will need a new phone, but first you should try figuring this one out just in case.

Clearly, Bluetooth is a major reason why your battery sucks. Pull down the notification bar. Touch the Bluetooth icon in the middle of the power widget. This should turn off Bluetooth. And doing so will not affect your 3G/4G and/or wi-fi.

I'd also recommend getting rid of the 8 bit heart battery monitor. Granted, it may be using so much power simply because your battery is draining so quickly, but just try it to see.

Have you done anything to configure Juice Defender? Do you live in a 4G LTE area? If not, turn LTE off. Use wi-fi whenever you can, too (like at home, if possible).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk

dragonfruit

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had this phone since April 3rd so too late for insurance. I turned off 4G/LTE the day after I got my phone. My JuiceDefender settings are for aggresive and everything is set to manual.

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
You said you use facebook and I know for a 100 percent fact that having facebook app installed drains your battery bad if you have auto sync on. Make sure you go into the settings of all your apps and do not allow any to auto sync or update. You can go to the google play store and hit menu then go to options and disable auto updates there as well. Also if you use yahoo mail that can really drain your battery.

Basically you should not depend on apps like juice defender because they don't do anything you can do yourself. They are just a shortcut for people who aren't sure how to configure their phones for optimal battery performance. You should really learn your phone inside and out and really study the settings of each app. If you've done everything you can and feel the battery is still draining to fast then I would get a replacement. You are past your 14 day exchange period but you have a one year manufactures warranty and can get a replacement phone anytime up to a year after you purchased it if the phone is defective. If you break it on your own by dropping it or getting it wet then that isn't covered unless you have insurance on it.

Keep in mind that the replacement would be a refrubished phone but these are just as good as new phones so don't stress it.

dragonfruit

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have all apps set to Manual and that isn't helping at all. Battery still drains with minimal or NO use. I'm not sure if a replacement phone would work because other people have reported the same issues as me on other forums and said they've given up after like 3 replacement phones.

hollywoodS14

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
also GPS signal is a big battery vampire. I keep everything turned off when not using, BT, GPS, data, wifi, etc. I consistanly get 24+ hours, even before root and rom.

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have all apps set to Manual and that isn't helping at all. Battery still drains with minimal or NO use. I'm not sure if a replacement phone would work because other people have reported the same issues as me on other forums and said they've given up after like 3 replacement phones.

It's funny how the same people have the same problems yet tons of us with the same phone don't experience these issues at all. It has to be user related. Or certain people just have terrible luck. But thats not logical.

my cousin and myself both own spectrums and our batteries work fine. and thats with the stock standard battery. Either try a replacement or study the issue out until you find out whats causing your problem.

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I don't see. I don't see anywhere that your phone is going into standby mode. This means that your phone is never going to sleep and there by saving battery life. Are you running any custom lock screen or anything that would run constantly and keep your phone awake? I would agree with the above poster that 8-bit battery is using up way to much power and possibly eating your battery. A sure fire test would be to return to stock and not install anything, then see if you still have battery issues. If not, then re-install one program at a time until you find out what is eating your battery life.

genEric122

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Everyone saying turn off BT, 4g, wifi, ect... I have all those on all the time, and sure you can squeak out a little more battery without those on, but I still get about 14 hours on a charge, and I have custom locks and launchers running (no root).
The problem is with your settings, or an app. If your screen is always on your battery doesn't stand a chance. I would guess if you went back to stock it would be fine.

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone saying turn off BT, 4g, wifi, ect... I have all those on all the time, and sure you can squeak out a little more battery without those on, but I still get about 14 hours on a charge, and I have custom locks and launchers running (no root).
The problem is with your settings, or an app. If your screen is always on your battery doesn't stand a chance. I would guess if you went back to stock it would be fine.

I second this. Turning these features off will not make a huge difference. I do keep wifi, bluetooth, and gps off as I hardly ever use them so see no point in having them on, but when I do have them on I can still get through a day no problem. I live in a 3g area but often travel into 4g areas and I usually have lte/cmda mode enabled and my battery does fine. I also have over 100 apps installed with 8 different launchers I switch between and that doesn't kill my battery either. Though i do have a custom rom installed I currently have no apps froze. I think neph and the last poster got it right. the people who are having these issues phones are not going to sleep.

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
One more thing! I work at home by myself building furniture and often will have moon reader pro running using ivona voice to listen to my books while I work and I can go all day long on a single charge playing TTS in moon reader no problem.

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site
It's funny how the same people have the same problems yet tons of us with the same phone don't experience these issues at all. It has to be user related. Or certain people just have terrible luck. But thats not logical.

my cousin and myself both own spectrums and our batteries work fine. and thats with the stock standard battery. Either try a replacement or study the issue out until you find out whats causing your problem.
Well I never had any of the issues with my thunderbolt like I do with the spectrum so it's not a issue with me I didn't change my usage when I got the spectrum.

JJJC1110

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
im having an issue with video playback even with videos i take with the phone it tells me that the file is unsupported im not rooted or anything ive tried returning it to stock and the same thing happens can anyone help me

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what that could be but maybe try using a different video player from the market? Try MX player and see if you get the same error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae