Overheating

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Today I went to the local Independence Day parade. It was 95 degrees out. I have my Spectrum in a glossy black TPU case. LTE was on and the signal was 4 bars. I put it my girlfriend's leather purse to get it out of my pocket.

Less than an hour later I picked it up. It was hot to the touch and rebooting. I can only assume the two are related, especially since the phone's battery usage statistics were wiped out.

I shut down the phone and removed it from its case. Once it was reasonably cooled off, I booted back up. It started heating back up, but not to the point of getting HOT.

Once I was back in the car, I held the phone up to the A/C vent. Once I got home, I charged it back up and started using normally again.

I've not had further issues with it, but I will be keeping it out of its case until the heat breaks. That could be a few days, though. I'll just have to be careful...

Anyone else having issues?

I must say, though, that I'm glad Verizon should soon be shipping my 32 GB pebble blue SGS3. I doubt the heat will bother it as much.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I hope that's the only time someone can say it's probably the leather purse that did me in.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

finndo77

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of rebooting issues with this phone, on the "other forum" there are several threads about it, the big issue is overheating, my best guess is it is a specific chip not the entire phone, as it can happen while in use in an air conditioned room, not just outside in the heat.

It can be caused by apps also. Again I think it is overheating a specific chip. Cpu/gpu/lte chip

android 777

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife was using my phone (Spectrum) the other night and she came in the other room and told me the phone got really hot and shut off, she powered it back up and it shut off again, I plugged the charger in and the touch buttons just blinked, so I unplugged it and planned on making a trip to Verizon the next day, well the next morning I plugged it in to see if it would charge, it did, booted up and has worked fine since..

Kasiethedog

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had an ongoing problem with overheating since we got the phone 6 months ago and can't use it for more than 5 minutes without it getting really hot. Used to call my mom a lot but not since I got that phone.
Also keeps dropping calls which is not good because we've had an ongoing family emergency for a couple weeks and need to keep in touch.
Also it doesn't also respond to the drag feature, like when the phone is ringing and I am trying to answer but the phone doesn't sense my finger being there.
I called the phone company and the guy said the heat was normal and couldn't do anything about it. He was just rude and dismissive and I no longer want that phone. However it'll cost about $300 to break the contract. Not happy about this.
Anyone here have a real understanding of what is going on? Like, is it a chip problem, or a design flaw (putting battery by ear), or is it an occasional lemon, and is it going to cause lasting problems, heating up my ear like that? Can't use it for more than a few minutes but sometimes it doesn't take long to do damage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084