Screen blacks out with calls

khardy3352

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My LG Spectrum screen will black out (about 85% of the time) after dialing and hitting the green call button.I cannot get the screen back with the power button or changing the phone position. I cannot use voicemail or call any number that requires keypad entries. I solved getting my voicemailby adding PIN number to the auto dial, but cannot select to delete or save message, as I cannot see the dialpad. If I call someone, I cannot hang up without removing the battery (unless the other party hangs u first).I believe it began after the ICS install. I see this is a common problem across many phones, not just Spectrum. There are many guesses as to why this happens: ICS, sensor vs screen protectors/cases/dirt or dust, power settings, call settings, screen display settings. Verizon phone tech was clueless about the cause, just said he knew it happens as he sees it on their internal forums and suggests replacing the phone with a refurbished one, of which I am not interested. I believe it is a software issue as I have cleaned the sensor, changed the screen timeout setting, done a factory reset and I do not use a protector; but some suggestions I cannot try as the setting options are not on my menus. Any other Spectrum owners having the same issue? If so, did you find a solution? An IT guy at one Verizon place said he hears ICS has glitches on some "not so new phones" (My spectrum only 10 months old) and believes that it is the problem, not my particular phone. He suggests I try reverting back to GB. Before I do that, thought I'd check in here for easier soluton.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
OK, I got a nexus 4 and I have a screen protector (has gorilla glass 2) but anyway, there is a sensor at the top of the phone that senses if its up against your ear, could that be blocked?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

khardy3352

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The sensor is not blocked, I have cleaned it. I just downloaded a sensor checking app: "phone tester" but honesly, I do not know how to read the results.... one app reads at "0" and says this phone does not allow metering, this one says waiting on data

Antoine Leclerc

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
This problem has come up recently with my Chinese "phablet" operating under Android 4.1, this to the point where I was ready to send it back (sadly because I love it). I finally tried to set the Als_ps calibration (in "settings", "display") while covering almost all of the screen with my hand. This has done the trick and my phone now works flawlessly, the screen comes back on as soon as I lift the phone from my hear and I do not need to push the power button. GREAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463