Computer Not Recognizing Phone

rjhoek

Jan 15, 2019
Visit site
My LG Stylo 4 no longer gives an option to transfer files and is only able to charge when plugged in to my computer. I've tried a few solutions I've found on Google (USB debugging or changing cable), but nothing has worked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either the USB cable is bad (there are 4 wires, 2 for data, 2 for charging - one or both data wires can be damaged, but the phone will still charge), or the USB port in the phone got disconnected and has to be replaced. If you don't have another cable, borrow one from someone and try that first. Replacing the cable is a lot cheaper than replacing the port.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you connect via USB and swipe down the notification panel, do you see a USB icon? If so, tap it and make sure MTP is selected.

rjhoek

Jan 15, 2019
Visit site
Either the USB cable is bad (there are 4 wires, 2 for data, 2 for charging - one or both data wires can be damaged, but the phone will still charge), or the USB port in the phone got disconnected and has to be replaced. If you don't have another cable, borrow one from someone and try that first. Replacing the cable is a lot cheaper than replacing the port.

Plugged it in using a another USB-C cable, but nothing changed, but Later today I tried with my cable on another computer and it instantly downloaded the phones driver and I was given the menu option to transfer files.

Welcome to Android Central! When you connect via USB and swipe down the notification panel, do you see a USB icon? If so, tap it and make sure MTP is selected.

No Menu; Until yesterday there has always been when I plugged into my computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So just to be clear -- you're saying that it worked on another computer, and you were able to transfer files? If you connect with the original computer, does it still not read? If that's the case, then it's a problem with the computer. Did you already try all of the other USB ports on the computer?

rjhoek

Jan 15, 2019
Visit site
So just to be clear -- you're saying that it worked on another computer, and you were able to transfer files? If you connect with the original computer, does it still not read? If that's the case, then it's a problem with the computer. Did you already try all of the other USB ports on the computer?

Yes it worked with another computer and I've since tried all other USB ports with no change.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the model number? Look it up using the model number. For some reason, typing in Stylo only shows the Stylo 2. I believe the model number for the Stylo 4 is Q710 with some other letters after it. When you enter that, it shows up.