Issues when plugging in headphones

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have some Bose over-ear headphones that I've been using for years and years with no issue. But every time I plug them into the LG V10, the Google Voice Input screen shows up (part of Google Now I believe). If my phone is locked, it starts talking to me about the things I can say into my microphone.

This is ridiculous, because this is as basic of a set of headphones as you can get, and clearly not a headset. It has 3 conductors (2 rings on the male 3.5mm connection). Headsets have 4 conductors (3 rings on the male 3.5mm connection). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make this stop and it is driving me crazy.

03/28/2016 Edit: Marshmallow (Android 6.0) update has fixed this issue for me!
05/12/2016 Edit: No it didn't.

Last edited:

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation. I work out with the phone in my pocket and the music would stop and I hear the robot digital assistant lady start talking.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It just told me how to enable wired headsets this time (weird), but it was talking too fast and I was not ready and missed the instructions.

Edit: It told me how to go enable searching through a wired headset while the device is locked. Not what I want.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine did that the first few times I plugged in my headphones, now it went away. I remember one of my older phones did that too.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like what I went through with my G3. Looks like they may be using the same auxiliary ports on these devices. Thankfully, my G4 has not had these issues at all!

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, do you have the audio feature enabled within your accessibility options under settings?

I just checked with my Bose QC15's and no audio assist type prompts, just music (and I was using the cord with the in-line controls). Also have not experienced audio prompts with my Klipsch S4's.

Last edited:

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, do you have the audio feature enabled within your accessibility options under settings?

I just checked with my Bose QC15's and no audio assist type prompts, just music (and I was using the cord with the in-line controls). Also have not experienced audio prompts with my Klipsch S4's.

I've checked every setting on my phone and I simply cannot get this to stop happening.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm re-bumping this to the top now that more people have this phone and have hopefully discovered this thread. I turned off my HiFi DAC, and the "headset" icon showed up in my notification bar. I am obviously not using a headset.

Screenshot_2015-11-24-09-26-09-1.png

Edit: I found these two links to reddit posts regarding the G3 having the same issue. I've tried the app they suggest (SoundAbout) and it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't want another app having to run constantly in the background in order to do the simple task of correctly detecting my headphones. The one thing that I did get out of these posts is if I quickly and forcefully cram my headphones in, it detects them as headphones. So there's that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/2gs570/bug_help_lg_g3_erroneously_identifying_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/2ftbvl/lg_g3_cant_deal_with_proper_headphones/

Last edited:

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm re-bumping this to the top now that more people have this phone and have hopefully discovered this thread. I turned off my HiFi DAC, and the "headset" icon showed up in my notification bar. I am obviously not using a headset.

View attachment 206898

Edit: I found these two links to reddit posts regarding the G3 having the same issue. I've tried the app they suggest (SoundAbout) and it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't want another app having to run constantly in the background in order to do the simple task of correctly detecting my headphones. The one thing that I did get out of these posts is if I quickly and forcefully cram my headphones in, it detects them as headphones. So there's that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/2gs570/bug_help_lg_g3_erroneously_identifying_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/comments/2ftbvl/lg_g3_cant_deal_with_proper_headphones/

I did have the same issue briefly on my V10. Funny part is, I have yet to figure out how to trigger the voice assistant on purpose (aside from "OK Google"). Anyways, After I adjust the settings you mentioned earlier, to allow headphone controls while the device is locked (my headphone had no such controls), the problem went away. If that doesn't fix the problem, try a full factory reset ( I know, that sucks). If it still doesn't go away, warranty it out. Perhaps there is a real problem with your phone.

gibbga

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed this the other day. I had only used bluetooth for music streaming until last night. I plugged my phone into my car stereo, and I heard a woman's voice but I had no idea what it was. It only lasted a couple of seconds and the music played fine. Seemed like a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice if it didn't do it. I'll keep my eyes on this post tho, to see if a solution pops up or if I run across a solution.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Now that this phone has been out there for another month, has anyone experienced this? It has still been happening to me. Every time I plug in my headphones, the google app launches and listens for my command. Then when I say nothing, it says "If you just said something, I didn't hear what it was."

Geordieclare

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I was having the exact same issue with my LG G4 and it was driving me nuts! I think I've eventually found the setting that stops it. No doubt there'll be a difference on your phone, but it might give you an idea where to look.

Go to: General settings > Language & Input > Speech - Voice Search > Hands Free then make sure "Wired Headsets" is disabled.

Hope that helps, I know how irritating that robot is!

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I was having the exact same issue with my LG G4 and it was driving me nuts! I think I've eventually found the setting that stops it. No doubt there'll be a difference on your phone, but it might give you an idea where to look.

Go to: General settings > Language & Input > Speech - Voice Search > Hands Free then make sure "Wired Headsets" is disabled.

Hope that helps, I know how irritating that robot is!

I tried that ages ago, unfortunately. It's been disabled (unchecked) for weeks and weeks now. Still does it every time I plug in headphones.

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
When you are listening to music, does it cut out from time to time. Like just stops play all on its own??

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad