Issues when plugging in headphones

N0BOX

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
The only real solution I can see is sticking with audio hardware whose male plug connectors use 4 conductors instead of 3 sadly. Kinda interesting really how this was present as far as I know since the G3 but was never really fixed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah, and it's sad because at the moment this phone is one of the favorites in a thread labelled "Best smartphone for audiophile" on the Head-Fi forums. It looks like there are several new phones in the works that are going the way of the G3, G4, and V10 that are pairing a quality DAC with the necessary amplifiers to drive high-impedance studio-quality headphones (which was my main reason for choosing the V10). I'm lucky that I treat electronics as a hobby, so I had the tools I needed to diagnose and build a fix for my phone, but most people don't.

That said, would people here be interested in buying an adapter if I were to put some together? I couldn't find any forum rules other than the ToS for the site, so I'm not sure if it is against the rules to offer something like that for sale. I wouldn't know how much it would cost, and I'd have to find some parts that are less expensive (the parts I used for mine were bought out of convenience... I already had an account at Digi-key, and those were the only parts that came up that didn't look like cheap plastic Radioshack style connectors). If there is some interest, I will see if I can find a source of decent-quality connectors and wire that doesn't cost too much and try to come up with a price.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if this is carrier dependent?
I only have gotten the OK google thing 2-3 times ever. FWIW I use a 1/8M-1/4F Grado adapter with my traditional headphones. The only 1/8TRS phones I directly plug in to my V10 are various Jays in-ears and Bose sound true. Both of which have mic/vol cables intended for use on iOS-Apple... could this be the difference?

I have been considering upgrading my senn HD558 cable to one with a microphone. Should I buy one intended for iOS or Android?

One age old drawback to the TRS connector is it will briefly short the ring and sleeve when its inserted into the jack. Headphone amp designers (single ended variety) need to account for this when they are designing the circuit. The circuit needs to be robust and stable enough to handle the brief shorting. Doesn't seem like LG or the android OS has taken this into account. You would think deactivating "OK Google" detection under Language and input settings SHOULD kill it outright.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, and it's sad because at the moment this phone is one of the favorites in a thread labelled "Best smartphone for audiophile" on the Head-Fi forums. It looks like there are several new phones in the works that are going the way of the G3, G4, and V10 that are pairing a quality DAC with the necessary amplifiers to drive high-impedance studio-quality headphones (which was my main reason for choosing the V10). I'm lucky that I treat electronics as a hobby, so I had the tools I needed to diagnose and build a fix for my phone, but most people don't.

That said, would people here be interested in buying an adapter if I were to put some together? I couldn't find any forum rules other than the ToS for the site, so I'm not sure if it is against the rules to offer something like that for sale. I wouldn't know how much it would cost, and I'd have to find some parts that are less expensive (the parts I used for mine were bought out of convenience... I already had an account at Digi-key, and those were the only parts that came up that didn't look like cheap plastic Radioshack style connectors). If there is some interest, I will see if I can find a source of decent-quality connectors and wire that doesn't cost too much and try to come up with a price.

I'd probably pay ~$7-8 for it, but no more. I now listen to my music through my computer at work, and listen on bluetooth in both cars.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Is this an issue that can be fixed over a software update???

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I was wondering this too... I installed a Verizon update mid January FWIW. Not exactly certain what was done in the update. The general consensus is it fixed the fingerprint scanner bug among other things. Its still a version of lollipop though.

N0BOX

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site

This is a hardware issue with the headset jack of the phone, but a software fix appears to be possible. It looks to me like a daemon (background program) that monitors the jack and tries to detect what type of plug has been inserted could be created.

Detection should be possible, since an electret condenser microphone element will appear as a resistive load across the MIC and GND terminals of at least 1Kohm (a short of the terminals would appear as less than 1ohm, usually, and the Android specs require that the mic element have at least 1Kohm of DC resistance). Anything that is plugged in that provides an open or short circuit, which you would expect from a normal TRS stereo or TS mono plug, should cause the jack daemon to turn off remote control detection in software.

I don't know why such a daemon isn't already part of the stock ROM from LG. The Android documentation clearly sets out what headset manufacturers must do to comply with Android's specs, and it is fairly obvious that the mic DC resistance was chosen for the purpose of allowing for automatic detection of the type of device that has been plugged in. If Android doesn't have a jack detection daemon in its stock AOSP build, then it would still be simple for a hardware manufacturer to provide their own. Android might not include one by default because the device running Android may not always have a headset jack. It's possible that it might be a set top box with only HDMI or an optical output, or a tiny computer with separate headphone/line out and microphone/line in jacks. That would mean that manufacturers who provide TRRS jacks for headset use should create their own jack daemon that is tailored to work with their hardware.

Hope this helps. Maybe we should be beating down LG's door to get a jack daemon included. They already have the hardware in the phone to precisely detect resistive loads, because the phone can detect Vol+, play/pause, and Vol- signals, which are resistive loads of 240ohms, 0ohms, and 470ohms respectively.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering this too... I installed a Verizon update mid January FWIW. Not exactly certain what was done in the update. The general consensus is it fixed the fingerprint scanner bug among other things. Its still a version of lollipop though.

I think the Marshmallow update fixed this issue!

Anthony Siracuse

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Issues when plugging in headphones (FIXED)

I'm glad that Marshmallow fixed this for some of you, but it didn't for my v10.

I have the same problem - my Koss PortaPros, Phillips earbuds, and any Aux cord is recognized as a headset, and toggles Google Now or playback controls when the cord is slightly bumped. Without fail.

I've sent my phone in to the LG repair center TWICE now.
The first time, they replaced the headphone jack and it didn't fix the problem at all.
Second time around, they replaced the whole motherboard. The problem disappeared for about 4 weeks before returning in full force - about a week after updating to Marshmallow.
The suggested actions in this thread do not work, neither does running a full factory restore.
I've had it with LG. I paid nearly $800 for this phone and I can't even listen to music on it.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Issues when plugging in headphones (FIXED)

I'm glad that Marshmallow fixed this for some of you, but it didn't for my v10.

I have the same problem - my Koss PortaPros, Phillips earbuds, and any Aux cord is recognized as a headset, and toggles Google Now or playback controls when the cord is slightly bumped. Without fail.

I've sent my phone in to the LG repair center TWICE now.
The first time, they replaced the headphone jack and it didn't fix the problem at all.
Second time around, they replaced the whole motherboard. The problem disappeared for about 4 weeks before returning in full force - about a week after updating to Marshmallow.
The suggested actions in this thread do not work, neither does running a full factory restore.
I've had it with LG. I paid nearly $800 for this phone and I can't even listen to music on it.

Mine has popped up the Google Prompt a few times since I posted my message. So, I guess it isn't fixed? I'll edit the thread title.

whoskubi

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
settings/language and keyboard/google voice typing/"ok google" detection. Enabled "from any screen". Did the voice training (say ok google 3x).

fixed this issue. for 10 min so far

Sovereign16

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I also have this issue and it's driving me crazy. This is a $800 phone for God's sake. How could they buy such a cheap audio port??

Especially since they tout the phone's audio DAC. If any one knows a fix please help.

Not even apps are able to block the headset commands. Believe me, I tried.

I dunno if it's helpful but the most common interruption actually even causes the hi-fi DAC to turn off. This suggests there's a full disconnect going on. Not just the headset commands.

Using Android 5.1

settings/language and keyboard/google voice typing/"ok google" detection. Enabled "from any screen". Did the voice training (say ok google 3x).

fixed this issue. for 10 min so far

Does not work for me

Cyberninja X82

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I have had the issue with the google voice thing. One kind of a fix is to only use a pair of headphones that comes with a mic. Everytime I use headphones with a mic I never have this problem. I hope this helps someone.