Some cases don't work with V10 fingerprint reader. Name your case and if it works or not.

Brian W1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I just tried it. I took off the case, stood the phone up on the table, held it in place with one finger on the top, and tired to unlock it.

It worked fine.

It took a couple of tries because the angle was wrong, but it worked.

All I'm saying is that if you were right, we would be hearing some people say it works with one case and not with another. Or we would be hearing about thinner cases that worked for more people. We aren't hearing that. Some phones work with all cases, and some don't work with any. Clearly there's an issue, but this one doesn't seem to make sense based on what we are seeing.

As I stated later on in my post, after I realized you got a non defective phone, you got a good one. Others were not that lucky.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
How is this an LG issue? If a thicker case makes your finger hit a a different angle, you might need to program it at that angle for best results.

What testing should LG have done in this case?

You would think a company as large as LG would have rigorously tested the scanner with and without a case prior to release, that's all. Perhaps it's an issue with the sensor itself or something a simple software roll out can fix. Members on Reddit, XDA, here and others are experiencing issues so clearly something is wrong.

I shut off scan to unlock for a couple of days then enabled it again. Both index fingers were scanned with the case on initially from various angles just to be safe. Now neither one is being recognized which sucks. I guess I expected the scanner to be lightning quick like with the new Nexus devices but this is just not the case, at least for now.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You would think a company as large as LG would have rigorously tested the scanner with and without a case prior to release, that's all. Perhaps it's an issue with the sensor itself or something a simple software roll out can fix. Members on Reddit, XDA, here and others are experiencing issues so clearly something is wrong.

Got it. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were talking about having to rescan your fingerprints for a thicker case. That part specifically didn't seem to be an LG issue.

This part about it not working at all for some people is clearly an LG failure.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Got it. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were talking about having to rescan your fingerprints for a thicker case. That part specifically didn't seem to be an LG issue.

This part about it not working at all for some people is clearly an LG failure.

I hear you on that. Such a great phone, hopefully LG can work some magic.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I rather have a good case that protects over a flimsy case that works. To each is own.
I feel you.. To each his own... I like tall curvy women.. Some people short thick basketballs. . On another note... I am starting to believe it is the material make up of the cases. The Obliq case is made up of a lot stiffer rubber than that of the Incipio ... Not a grounding or angle of you finger issue. Smh.......

Last edited:

tpick002

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
The AT&T update fixed my fingerprint reader. I have the Verus case. Other than that idk what else the update included unfortunately.

Posted via the Android Central App

MannyB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just received the same case today and have the same problem. After unsuccessfully trying to unlock with the originally saved fingerprints, I deleted those and tried to set my fingerprint again with the new case on the phone, but no dice.

So I got a software update today and now the fingerprint scanner is working perfectly with the case on.

Superbighead

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I got my V10 Sunday and didnt set up my finger print sensor for a few days. I bought it at Verizon and also got an Incipio Dual Pro case. Well to my surprise, the fingerprint scanner will not work unless you are touching the stainless steel sides of the phone. With the case, its a no go.

Name the case you have
If it has cut outs exposing the sides
And if your fingerprint scanner works with it or not.

I have read online that some cases will work, just not mine😢

I had trouble with my sensor working with my case but found now that out works most of the time. I let my finger touch the edge of the anodized round rim around the edge of the camera at the same time as the fingerprint sensor.

Last edited:

Tony C1

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Went to Verizon today to get a replacement as the light bleed from the second screen was too much.

Second phone is much better. Anyways, while there the guy brought out all the cases they and we tried them all with setting up the finger print sensor. All of them did not work and we both tried setting up our own prints. Hope this gets fixed soon.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems that AT&T has pushed out an update that has addressed the case/fingerprint sensor issue.
I assume they got it from LG.
Verizon is usually last to update as they claim they do more extensive testing to be sure that any update is safe and doesn't impact their network.
It could be a month before we see the update on Verizon.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Went to Verizon today to get a replacement as the light bleed from the second screen was too much.

Second phone is much better. Anyways, while there the guy brought out all the cases they and we tried them all with setting up the finger print sensor. All of them did not work and we both tried setting up our own prints. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Tony, is this the third V10 you are on?
Is the bleed any better on this new one?
The V10 I purchased had severe light bleed but it was only noticeable in a very dark room.

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm still confused about this case issue. I first read that you had to been touching the metal sides for the FPS to work. I tried to scan my finger on my first V10 without touching the metal sides and I could not get the scanner to read. So I thought I'd go caseless... until my screen cracked.

My new V10 just got put in a cheap gel case from Amazon the FPS work just fine.

Tony C1

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Tony, is this the third V10 you are on?
Is the bleed any better on this new one?
The V10 I purchased had severe light bleed but it was only noticeable in a very dark room.

This is my second V10. It has the same issue as the first one, just not as bad.

I am almost thinking that LG put the light source for the second screen on the left side (to the right of the front facing cameras) which is why we get such a bad flashlight effect when the second screen is on, but the main screen is off.

No way around this, just a bad design. Probably wasn't enough room to put a light source behind the screen. At least mine doesn't leak down onto the main screen now.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Aren't there some smart solving problem people in these forums? ☺

I have 2 workarounds that work 100% of the time for people with flexible cases. I have a flexible TPU case.

1. Peel the case back slightly so that your thumb can touch it while using the fingerprint reader.

2. Cut a section off the edge of your case so that the side metal piece can be touched or cut out a middle section of the side so that the side metal piece can be touched.

Just thinking the case issue could be a second layer of wanted security from a girl who wanted to touch the phone to your finger to get into it when you are sleeping. But, having to hold the phone in your hand where only a section of the metal is exposed to touch may prevent snooping while you're sleeping. 👍

Attachments

• 20151123_022819.jpg
    20151123_022819.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My gel case works fine. I wouldn't cut a case to expose the metal sides. The metal sides appear to be the most likely cause of a cracked screen

Waldo Posted via the Android Central App

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My gel case works fine. I wouldn't cut a case to expose the metal sides. The metal sides appear to be the most likely cause of a cracked screen

Waldo Posted via the Android Central App

The amount of section I'm suggesting to cut off from the case in solution 2 is so small it would not make a difference if dropped. I'm talking milimeters from the front edge. Just enough for your skin to touch. The case wraps around to the front and cutting off just a slight amount from the front wouldn't make a difference. Also the section I'm talking about cutting from the middle wouldn't make a difference either as there would be casing around the section that would absorb impact first when dropped. You're counterpoint doesn't hold water. 👎

The solutions I offered above work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair