Anyone know how to get rid of this V10 notification?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Neither of my last two Samsung phones did this so I am thinking there is a way to hide it that I am just not finding. What happens is that the V10 is notifying me, (both on the 2nd screen and the main screen and also on the drag down screen), that it has "Found" my location. I have location turned on so I am happy that the phone has found my location, but I do not need to see a notification of this all the time. I'll try to post a couple of photos to show what I am talking about. Thanks!

v10 location2.jpg

v10 location.jpg

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No - It does not go away. When there are only those two showing, there is no option to clear. If a notification pops up that cause the "clear" button to show, then clearing also does not make the location icon or the announcement that the location has been found to go away. I rebooted the phone and it went away until I moved and the phone updated my location. Then the icons and banner announcements came back.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Seen it several times myself. It does actually go away on its own. But i could never clear it myself.

Hmm. Mine never goes away. It is on all the time. Frustrating as it is a totally useless notification and there is no need for it to be constantly displayed.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
That was constantly on mine too. I put my location setting on battery saver and it has stayed gone.

How did you do this?

And I just looked on a Note 3 and a S6 Edge+ and neither of those had this notification message or the icon on. So it looks like it is maybe an issue with the V10.

I long pressed on the banner notification, (not the little icon), and it changed to "Android System".

Last edited:

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Settings, location

The notification popped up on both high accuracy and device sensor. It hasn't popped up since I put it on battery saving.

Attachments

• 10237.jpg
    10237.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 203

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I see. Problem is that I am used to keeping my devices on high accuracy since I use gps a lot. I suppose putting it in battery saving mode and then having to remember to manually turn on high accuracy every time I need it would work. But that is sort of like just turning off the phone until I need to use it.

To me this notification is annoying because it is totally unnecessary. It is fine if a notification pops up when location is being determined I guess. It may even be fine if a notification pops up briefly when the location is finally found. But that is really not needed information and there should be a way to avoid them. There CERTAINLY should be a way (without turning off gps/putting into battery saving), to prevent the notification from being a permanent resident on my 2nd screen and on the pull down notification menu. Space on those are at a premium and to have a slot taking up by a totally unnecessary notification is frustrating.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I see. Problem is that I am used to keeping my devices on high accuracy since I use gps a lot. I suppose putting it in battery saving mode and then having to remember to manually turn on high accuracy every time I need it would work. But that is sort of like just turning off the phone until I need to use it.

To me this notification is annoying because it is totally unnecessary. It is fine if a notification pops up when location is being determined I guess. It may even be fine if a notification pops up briefly when the location is finally found. But that is really not needed information and there should be a way to avoid them. There CERTAINLY should be a way (without turning off gps/putting into battery saving), to prevent the notification from being a permanent resident on my 2nd screen and on the pull down notification menu. Space on those are at a premium and to have a slot taking up by a totally unnecessary notification is frustrating.

I agree. Its very irritating and unnecessary. Its stuck on mine now

Posted via the Android Central App

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Settings, location

The notification popped up on both high accuracy and device sensor. It hasn't popped up since I put it on battery saving.

Yes!! Finally! I put it on the battery saving and once I restarted the phone it's finally gone!

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Must be a 5.1 thing as it does not happen on our Note3 which is running 5.0. Maybe it will be fixed and go away when we get 6.0 for this phone?

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
That's what I'm gonna do. Just turn on high accuracy when needed. I agree it sucks but maybe it will be corrected once we get marshmallow

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Now this is very interesting.. or weird. The notification went away on it's own a couple of hours ago. I have not changed any settings. Still on high accuracy. But now when I wake the phone it briefly shows the notification as "finding location". Once location is found, all notifications regarding this disappear. So working in a logical and acceptable fashion for now. Not sure why or for how long. Definitely odd. Maybe it is related to the fact that I have been home and on wifi and not moving around.

AZ8821

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
This is not a V10 only issue. It's happening with many different phones for many months now.

Hopefully a fix in Marshmallow will give us options. Battery saver mode is pretty much the only way now.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It has now been 8 hours and the problem has not come back. But I have been home and on wifi all day so maybe that is why.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine is on High Accuracy and I never see that notification. Not sure why mine would be different.
V10 on AT&T.

Do you leave location off all the time? I'm only getting that notification sticking around if I turn location services on and then off