I don't know if this should go here or elsewhere, so I'll start here first.

This is my first non-Samsung in a while (and first LG ever) and while I'm pretty comfortable manipulating Android controls and settings, I'm stuck here. I'm having a few peculiar little issues, but the first real puzzler is getting certain widgets to update - e.g. the Breaking News widget. It will not refresh unless I manually open the app, manually refresh the app, and then close out. This puts the five newest items on the widget, but does not fix the problem (I have to do it again each time). I do have push notifications turned off within that app, but that is a separate setting (and have tested with it turned on to confirm). Looking at the phone's settings, I see nothing in the Accounts & Sync menu (the app does not appear), and accessing the app through the Apps menu predictably does not give me any options to change such settings. The only things I'm using that I could imagine interfering with the widget are Nova Launcher and Avast, neither of which caused any problems previously.

I am guessing there's something obvious about LG's version of Android (which seems kind of disorganized/unwieldy compared to Samsung's, but I love this phone and want to stick it out) that I don't know about which is causing the problem - a setting to change somewhere, or something - but I can't find it. Any help?

All responses appreciated!
    11-15-2015 10:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! In Settings>Data Usage, is anything set to Restrict Background Data?
    11-15-2015 04:40 PM