02-01-2017 12:17 AM
111 ... 2345
tools
    Chiming in. 1 month old V10 gaining spontaneous cracks as well. Love this phone in every way, but this is truly strange. I've certainly been guilty of drops before, but with the rubber backing I've not had a misstep yet. Pulled my phone out of my pocket last night after work - - and surprise! A large crack across my screen. Very, very strange, indeed. I assure any skeptics, this is a very real thing that is happening. Considering the weather has been decent lately, and my phone never gets very hot from use, I am hesitant to attribute this incident to weather. Sad story.
    If you're able to discern it, which glass layer has the crack? The V10 has two layers of glass on it and depending on how it was manufactured, one of the layers of glass might be flush with the metal rail and since glass can be affected by weather, that's not a good thing.

Posted on an LG V10
    03-22-2016 09:00 PM
    I dropped my v10 from waist height onto a concrete floor last week and the screen shattered really badly - like small fragments of glass could scratch my finger. The phone had a gel case with a lip above the screen. I called T-Mobile and I used my Handset Protection insurance to have a replacement V10 sent to me overnight. The replacements they send are refurbs. After spending a day setting up the new phone I dropped it onto a counter from a height of maybe 4 inches and BAM! the screen cracked near one of the edges. I don't want to use my insurance again to get another replacement so I will look into getting a repair that I pay for.

What I have learned is that these v10 phone are VERY FRAGILE.

I have owned cell phones for 25 years - all kinds of old brick and flip phones from Motorola, Nokia and Blackberry. In the last few years, phones have generally assumed the same form factor where the entire front is glass screen. Of this type, I have owned the LG G2, G4 and now the v10. I have not suddenly become clumsy - I have used these phones in the same manner for years. Now and then I drop my phone; sometimes from a height of a few inches and sometimes from waist height. I have never had a cracked screen or broken phone EVER in my life until the v10. And now I’ve had two v10s crack on me.

Here is what I think: the v10 is manufactured in a way that makes it more susceptible to screen shatter than previous LG phones. What types of drop should a phone be able to withstand? This is hard to quantify but LG has basically lowered the bar; the v10 can withstand far less stress than previous LG phones. If LG views this as a problem, I think there is no way they will admit to it. They will improve design on their next phone and leave it at that.

I am concerned that, after fixing my current v10 and placing it in a more robust case, it will crack again. If that happens, I will likely need to buy a Samsung. I really don’t want to do this as I prefer the LG config and I would be abandoning the 3 batteries, quick chargers etc. from my v10.

I need a phone that can handle my regular use without breaking – just like every other phone I’ve owned. It looks like the v10 is simply too fragile.
    collyesta and huntnyc like this.
    03-23-2016 10:57 AM
    Have UAG case, w/ Spigen tempered glass screen protector on my V10, several drops no problem, guess you get what you pay for....

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-25-2016 01:13 AM
    Have UAG case, w/ Spigen tempered glass screen protector on my V10, several drops no problem, guess you get what you pay for....

Posted via the Android Central App
    Tbh, the real issue with the V10 is not with its mil-spec certification being wrong. It's the variances in space between the glass and the stainless steel bars, which we already know is rigid. If there's too little space, natural glass expansion will cause for it to crack spontaneously or break with a relatively weak drop.

Posted on an LG V10
    03-25-2016 11:56 PM
    I bought a V10 on 3/21/16. Dropped it from about 18 inches onto its upper left-hand corner on 3/26 and produced a hairline fracture that runs all the way across the screen that I can see and feel. I didn't even drop it onto the screen nor did the screen make contact with anything. LG is completely unwilling to help so I guess they don't stand behind their products or claims of durability. T-Mobile did offer to (maybe) cover half of the cost of aftermarket repair, which is $200, but I'll never buy another and I'm leaving T-Mobile ASAP.
    03-30-2016 04:35 PM
    Buy a Flex 2 , you have to throw it literally against the wall with a lot of force to break it.lol.

via LG Flex2 with BlackBerry VKB
    03-31-2016 08:42 AM
    Oh and it's only 199 and more powerful than the V10

No hifi dac and dual cam, though.

via LG Flex2 with BlackBerry VKB
    03-31-2016 08:45 AM
    I have a G4, 505 SN if that means anything to you
    T-Mobile retensions offered me a V10 for $300. After reading this thread I'll pass. Too bad, I love the V10 screen size and form factor. Also the DAC. I'm not hard on phones but I know my G4, even though it may bootloop two seconds from now at least won't crack unless I really mess up.
    huntnyc likes this.
    03-31-2016 09:45 AM
    I bought a V10 on 3/21/16. Dropped it from about 18 inches onto its upper left-hand corner on 3/26 and produced a hairline fracture that runs all the way across the screen that I can see and feel. I didn't even drop it onto the screen nor did the screen make contact with anything. LG is completely unwilling to help so I guess they don't stand behind their products or claims of durability. T-Mobile did offer to (maybe) cover half of the cost of aftermarket repair, which is $200, but I'll never buy another and I'm leaving T-Mobile ASAP.
    I dropped it from 5ft (w/o case) on wood floor and nothing happened - not a scratch. So it's just like with any phone. Though, I don't think they should have advertised military grade even with shock proof internals.
    BTW, T-Mobile was never good with customer support. Verizon is the best, but charges a lot for it

VZW Moto X DE/N7
    tardus likes this.
    03-31-2016 09:51 AM
    I have a G4, 505 SN if that means anything to you
    T-Mobile retensions offered me a V10 for $300. After reading this thread I'll pass. Too bad, I love the V10 screen size and form factor. Also the DAC. I'm not hard on phones but I know my G4, even though it may bootloop two seconds from now at least won't crack unless I really mess up.
    Don't dismiss the phone just beside of these complaints. Trust me it's anecdotal issue. Probably production line flaw - some phones may have glass too close to the metal , causing direct impact on it.
    If nothing, you can always get tpa protective case

VZW Moto X DE/N7
    incidentflux and tardus like this.
    03-31-2016 09:55 AM
    Survived my first drop. No glass protector. Just the Ringke Ultra hybrid case.

Fell screen down from waist level (I'm 5, 10).
    tardus likes this.
    04-02-2016 06:27 PM
    Don't dismiss the phone just beside of these complaints. Trust me it's anecdotal issue. Probably production line flaw - some phones may have glass too close to the metal , causing direct impact on it.
    If nothing, you can always get tpa protective case

VZW Moto X DE/N7
    My comment about the V10 being fragile is likely wrong. It's a great phone - I guess I held off for now because it's a lateral move for me - G4 to V10. I seriously considered the G5 but I'm not hearing good things about it. The V10 is really a nice device!
    04-04-2016 10:58 AM
    LG never made this device available for the UK thank goodness. I really wanted it but after reading your post I'm so glad I didn't buy it. What a pile of **** device for a screen to crack after 14 days.
    04-09-2016 09:21 AM
    I carry mine without case since over a month. Not a single cosmetic flaw on it.
    04-09-2016 09:54 AM
    LG never made this device available for the UK thank goodness. I really wanted it but after reading your post I'm so glad I didn't buy it. What a pile of **** device for a screen to crack after 14 days.
    Again, like others have mentioned, this problem isn't widespread and varies from device to device. You can't bash on a device for defects which I haven't seen in real life. Yes, there are complaints about it but such are usually miniscule. If you're that worried about it, don't buy it.

Posted on an LG V10
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    04-09-2016 07:30 PM
    My theory - the bigger the device the more screen there is to crack! No compelling evidence that the screen is more likely to crack than others. Look at MOTO X Pure Edition, Nexus 6P, etc. Lots of cracked screen reports for those. These things break because $&#* happens! What's more important is the cost to fix.
    04-09-2016 09:37 PM
    This happened to me!!! What did LG headquarters ever do about it?? I can't even believe I found this forum. This happened to me tonight. And I am so annoyed and have NO IDEA HOW IT HAPPENED. I didn't even drop my phone.

I purchased the LG V10 the day it was available off Verizon.

The screen cracked without a drop and Verizon wants to charge me. I'm now in contact with LG Corporate HQ after tweeting them for 2 days in a row, and returning the phone to corporate.

If your new LG V10 screen is cracked without reason, you are not alone. Do not give in. Paid good money for this phone, livid Verizon wouldn't help.

-Kris

Attachment 206573
    04-10-2016 12:23 AM
    You guys dropped it. It didn't happen mysteriously....

I had this thing since release and took it with me to Europe. What do you know no drops because I take care of my stuff
    05-08-2016 12:03 AM
    I am not strapped for cash, like the phone just fine, I paid for screen replacement the second time it cracked, I don't have a problem paying for a new screen again, just frustrated knowing it is going to crack again on this particular unit; I am sure other owners did not have this unpleasentness to deal with, tried to find a better phone to buy but couldn't find any, I did not drop or abuse the phone in any conceivable way, the display just cracked, consider yourself lucky you got a better phone, I got it on the same day it became available in the US, lesson learned.
    05-08-2016 12:22 AM
    Read the thread, there are reports of cracked screens without being dropped. I've dropped every phone I've ever owned but they didn't crack. Just because it hasn't happen to you yet...don't discount it

Waldo Posted via the Android Central App
    07-01-2016 07:35 PM
    Had my v10 since November in a otter box case set phone down on my truck seat picked it up snd the lcd screen was cracked from the inner camera to the top and vack to thd bottom the phone was extremely hot when i picked it up and it wasn't evdn in the sunlight lcd looks like it cracked ftom the inside out.
    07-01-2016 07:39 PM
    I get members being upset if the screen cracks or breaks for no reason. That would be unacceptable.
    Dropping the phone and breaking the screen is a whole different issue. LG made the V10 durable but not drop proof. Some personal accountability is in order here. I have dropped phones before and broke them. Yes, I was mad but at myself for not being more careful.
    Some manufacturers make phones that are for the most part "rugged" or "drop proof", maybe these would better for suited for some.
    07-02-2016 04:08 PM
    False alarm, it's the glass screen protector and not the screen itself.
    07-04-2016 04:41 PM
    Had my v10 since November in a otter box case set phone down on my truck seat picked it up snd the lcd screen was cracked from the inner camera to the top and vack to thd bottom the phone was extremely hot when i picked it up and it wasn't evdn in the sunlight lcd looks like it cracked ftom the inside out.
    Almost the same exact thing happened to me. I've had the phone for about 8 months. 5 or 6 months in, I had the phone in the inside handle of my car door, and I heard like a small "pop" while I was driving, and figured I had driven over something. But when I got home, I discovered two intersecting hairline cracks running across 2/3 of the screen, from the inner camera to the right-hand side.

It hasn't been a big deal, except that now (as of this morning) my phone keeps restarting itself and won't get past the LG startup screen. And T-Mobile says my warranty is voided bc the screen is broken.
    07-07-2016 12:08 PM
    I am going to attempt to make LG V10 last as long as I can but will upgrade to Note 7 if it has that cool 5.8" or even 6" screen.
    07-15-2016 09:01 AM
111 ... 2345