LG V10 Crack Glass after 14 days. Anyone else?

cpqNetworks

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it cracks easily. Why does it boast military grade specs? I'd love to see a 3rd party lab test

For all the people moaning about how it's the phone owner's faults, it isn't.

I was sent a pack from LG executive HQ in California for my phone + explanation (since it cut my finger) and a request of what I wanted. Told them I just wanted a new phone.

New phone does NOT have the odd spacing on each side, there is some sort of factory detect going on.

Verizon let me down and wanted $175 with the insurance I paid saying it was my fault, but the thing somehow cracked while charging.

I only found out when the glass sliced my thumb going to unlock. Further, it was so precise, almost like a hairline pressure crack.

The replacement from LG HQ now has a very rubbery case for it and tempered glass.

Kind of funny as my Note 3 has NEVER had a screen protector or issue since I've gotten it. And it doesn't claim Military spec like the LG does.

That's the issue with this phone. If it's a fragile Apple-esque product, do not advertise MIST drop ratings, lulling people into the false sense of security that they may have more than a week to buy a case.

I got the LG V10 for all of the advances and camera, but I can't recommend it in good faith when it doesn't live up to the features it boasts.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Yes, it cracks easily. Why does it boast military grade specs? I'd love to see a 3rd party lab t

For all the people moaning about how it's the phone owner's faults, it isn't.

I was sent a pack from LG executive HQ in California for my phone + explanation (since it cut my finger) and a request of what I wanted. Told them I just wanted a new phone.

New phone does NOT have the odd spacing on each side, there is some sort of factory detect going on.

Verizon let me down and wanted $175 with the insurance I paid saying it was my fault, but the thing somehow cracked while charging.

I only found out when the glass sliced my thumb going to unlock. Further, it was so precise, almost like a hairline pressure crack.

The replacement from LG HQ now has a very rubbery case for it and tempered glass.

Kind of funny as my Note 3 has NEVER had a screen protector or issue since I've gotten it. And it doesn't claim Military spec like the LG does.

That's the issue with this phone. If it's a fragile Apple-esque product, do not advertise MIST drop ratings, lulling people into the false sense of security that they may have more than a week to buy a case.

I got the LG V10 for all of the advances and camera, but I can't recommend it in good faith when it doesn't live up to the features it boasts.

LG sent you a Rubber Case & Temperd glass with your replacement V10?
Any pictures of this case & glass?

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
People that start a reply with "I don't want to come off as argumentative" are usually trying to start an argument.

"there's no such thing as glass just breaking on it's own. Doesn't happen in house windows, car windows or our phones. Period!" Sorry but it happens all the time, just because you've never seen it, doesn't make it not happen. Period.

"There MUST be some external force, whether it be impact, twisting, bending, or even extreme thermal changes ... there must be an action against the glass for it to break." I agree, and THAT force can come from a manufacturing defect, faulty installation or a bad design.

And YES it happens to house windows and car windshields. My 2003 Honda Element was recall for such a problem.

"If everyone who gets a new phone was told that it is a bit more fragile than the one they've had for the last year or so ... a SIGNIFICANT number of phones would never have broken screens." Thanks for blaming me.

This phone cracked at the level of normal usage of any phone, and it claims to be able to withstand a 6 foot drop onto a plywood covered concrete floor. Nothing I have done to it was anywhere near that level of force.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
You guys dropped it. It didn't happen mysteriously....

I had this thing since release and took it with me to Europe. What do you know no drops because I take care of my stuff

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Yes, it cracks easily. Why does it boast military grade specs? I'd love to see a 3rd party lab t

Glad to hear you were able to get a new phone. Who did you contact at LG? My second V10 has now cracked so I'm out another $175 and after two claims no more insurance coverage. I'll thinking try to return the unopened phone or to sell it on Ebay. Can't afford to crack a screen every month...

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm sad you took my perspective as an argument when I went out of my way to find a way to side with those that are/have broken a screen and those that haven't.

I wish you luck in a resolution ... I hope that's not found to be argumentative or confrontational ...

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

LG sent you a Rubber Case & Temperd glass with your replacement V10?
Any pictures of this case & glass?

I don't doubt that things like this happen to those that get to the right person ... but I'd like to see the shipping label from LG's Executive Headquarters.

Please.

IHateMyTreo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I learned from personal experience that spontaneous glass explosions and breakage occur all the time. My living room glass coffee table simply exploded (not exaggerating). It was due to a metal frame that did not allow a margin for normal expansion and contraction and glued underside that allowed no movement. It happens. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

It sounds like some V10s may suffer from a surrounding frame that could be too tight to the glass.

Posted via the Android Central App

rockstargenes

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This hair line fracture issue happen to me today. Phone was on my desk and was looking at it with no issue one moment and the next minute i thought i saw a scratch but turn on to be an small fracture. yeah it looks like a scratch but when i feel it, you can feel the crack. crack to thin to get a good photo. I had to go through LG to get and RMA. Haven't sent it in yet, but in the process. Worst part is Tmobile is not much help and the phone is only twenty days from purchase date. They say I gotta go through insurance claim. Thought i share since in case any one else has this happen to them too. Will update later time with good or bad news from LG.

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I think the point is... When a manufacturer states they have designed the phone to be durable to a "military mil-spec drop rating" one could reasonably expect the phone to sustain a drop as advertised without damage. If the screen cracks simply due to charging, or temperature change, then I guess those are outside the advertised specification as advertised. BUT, at the price of near $700 you'd THINK you could expect a bit more from a flagship product. I KNOW it gets really cold in the winter in Korea, so they DO have a means to fully test the product BEFORE production and sales. JMHO

angie75

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm not even sure how it happened, as I only noticed it when I turned it off to clean the screen. Yes, I dropped it several times but none were more than waist level. I inspected it after being dropped and didn't see any visible damage. It appear to have cracked by striking the stainless steel edge of the phone. I guess I'm glad I bought the insurance so I am only out $175 to replace the phone. Wasn't going to get a case, because of the reports the fingerprint reader won't work without touch the metal edge, but I have 2 on order, now

Follow up: bought a gel case to protect the metal edge and was surprised to find that the fingerprint reader still works

angie75

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I purchased a lg v10 on December 27th 2015, on the 28th I purchased a speck case and had it placed in my phone by an at&t rep at the store. The rep encouraged me into buying this phone becuse of it's durability and also due to the fact that I can add more memory to it if needed later. I also ordered screen protectors on-line so my phone has been protectd since purchased. Last night while using my phone I noticd something on my screen, initial thought was just a hair or dirt so I wiped it off....NOPE it is a hairline crack from one side to the other on my screen. My phone hasn't been dropped or misused in any way and now I'm being told that I have to pay for repairs!!! I haven't even paid my 1st bill yet with at&t and this happens! When I googled this issuei appears that I am not the only person that this has happened too yet LG is doing nothing about it!! Anone else having this issue?? Please share

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear your problem. I cracked 2 of them in a month and half and since I'm only allowed 2 claims on my insurance, I sold my 3rd new one on eBay. Not a lot of people having this problem, but there are a few of us. Last LG phone I'll every buy.

traceylynn0801

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Please tell me how you addresses this! I had this phone 72 hours... never dropped it... hairline crack in the screen... went to verizon multiple times... they say i dropped this military spec phone... but not a scratch or nick on it... i swear it hasn't been dropped... what gives???

traceylynn0801

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
The same issue happened to me!! Verizon won't take the phone back.. saying it's cracked but i didn't crack it!! it was never dropped... never in a pocket... i only had it 2 days!! Did you find a phone number or email to get some answers from LG??

hawky86

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Exact same issue here. No drops.... Verizon wouldn't give me a new phone. Never dropped, never hit, it lived its life sitting on my desk and on my night stand and within a few days of purchase the screen had long hairline cracks. I've been arguing back and forth with Verizon for the last several weeks trying to avoid a refurbished phone and during that time those cracks have spread all over. Still never dropped. Ultimately, I caved and I'm going to accept the refurbished phone... sucks.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I learned from personal experience that spontaneous glass explosions and breakage occur all the time. My living room glass coffee table simply exploded (not exaggerating). It was due to a metal frame that did not allow a margin for normal expansion and contraction and glued underside that allowed no movement. It happens. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

It sounds like some V10s may suffer from a surrounding frame that could be too tight to the glass.

Good point

Posted via stuff.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Curious... how many of you with spontaneous cracking had glass or plastic adhesive screen protectors? I am wondering if the different layered materials expand/contract differently and place added stresses on the glass? This thread is the reason I went with an otterbox... despite the huge size penalty. I am contemplating removing the OEM clear plastic sheet and go with an adhesive protector... but now I am not so sure.

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Both of my V10s failed without glass protection. 1st one had no case, 2nd one had a double walled case. Both failed the same way as in photo.

Attachments

• 916121988.jpg
    916121988.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 148