LG V10 Crack Glass after 14 days. Anyone else?

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
That is unfortunate. I just got this phone bc my HTC was older and starting to have issues with hardware and software. I agree LG will not take responsibility, but I am like you, I will be persistent if my phone just happens to break due to their build. I am extremely worried about this issue. I wish you luck as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

I went to a store that sells the v10 in my country (The Netherlands) to ask them about the screen cracking issue and also to ask how they would deal with something like that. When I told them about the problem they actually believed me and were very supportive (I could have just gotten lucky there, but I found that comforting nonetheless). They said it's a known issue with phones (apparently more so with Sony phones than others, according to them) and also with car windows that they can just spontaneously shatter. They said that that usually happens because the screen is fitted in too tight so there is too much pressure on it from the surrounding parts of the phone and eventually that leads to the screen cracking.

In such circumstances they said I needn't worry too much because they would send the phone to LG where it will diagnosed first. LG would then need to determine if there are any signs that the phone was dropped (scratches, hardware damage etc.) and if they cannot find any they would replace the screen for free.

The people at the shop said the biggest problem with this sort of thing is that one would be stuck without a phone for a couple of weeks until everything was sorted and replaced, and that if I am worried I should make sure to have a backup device I could use in the meantime.

They also mentioned that in the US quality control isn't as stringent as it is in Europe so the European version (even though it's only 32 GB... :( ) should in theory be more sturdy.

This is just what they told me. I don't know how useful it is to you and the people on this thread, but I hope it will help in some way :)

Btw, if you already got your V10, how are you finding it? Do you like it?

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
That is pretty good news on your end. I haven't had great luck with lg on them admitting fault or that they would take blame, however if it does happen, it will get fixed. I finally did receive it and decided to keep it. I love it so far. It's very nice. It is extremely fast, no buggy issues so far, software is great, size is perfect, and very snappy. I am waiting on the tempered glass Screensaver and a case for it to come as well. Did you pick one up yet or still debating?

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
That is pretty good news on your end. I haven't had great luck with lg on them admitting fault or that they would take blame, however if it does happen, it will get fixed. I finally did receive it and decided to keep it. I love it so far. It's very nice. It is extremely fast, no buggy issues so far, software is great, size is perfect, and very snappy. I am waiting on the tempered glass Screensaver and a case for it to come as well. Did you pick one up yet or still debating?

It's great to hear you're enjoying it so far! I'm really glad that things are working out, I really hope it stays that way :)

I am still debating whether or not to get it, but it's definitely a very strong contender. From what everyone has said about it, it seems like a near perfect phone.

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I hope it does to! So far I'm extremely happy with my choice. Good luck with finding one for you. If you pick this phone, hopefully it will be great as well.

incidentflux

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
LG V10's screen is alright for the "slam boys", as Flossy Carter demonstrates.

Spigen LG V10 Cases and Tempered Glass Screen Protector
https:// youtu . be / eyq3YYeV1hU?t=15m19s (remove spaces)

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
LG V10's screen is alright for the "slam boys", as Flossy Carter demonstrates.

Spigen LG V10 Cases and Tempered Glass Screen Protector
https:// youtu . be / eyq3YYeV1hU?t=15m19s (remove spaces)

Slam boys on deck. I still throw mine on desks cuz i have it in a spigen case.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just found this thread and kinda freaked out about it. Thankfully, LG phones are relatively easy to repair and LCD digitizers with frame assembly included are available.

Also, upon closer inspection, there are apparently TWO layers of gorilla glass on the V10, one a bit longer and extending under the plastic LG chin piece at the bottom. With the pattern I'm seeing with fractures being on the left edge, I'm guessing something, probably the steel rail is putting some undue stress there and with just the right forces on it, the top or bottom layer will shatter. The top layer for mine has sizable gaps between it and the steel rails, comparable to those on my M8's glass so if anything, I'm just worried about the bottom one.

That being said, this could also be a manufacturing defect. For those whose devices have already cracked from small drops or spontaneously, have you checked the manufacturing date by looking up your V10's IMEI?

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
J
That being said, this could also be a manufacturing defect. For those whose devices have already cracked from small drops or spontaneously, have you checked the manufacturing date by looking up your V10's IMEI?
How can one tell what the manufacturing date is by the IMEI?

Tom Pajak

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've never broke a screen going all the way back to the OG Droid.. Tempered glass protector and a case that leaves a lip above the screen never failed me..

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How can one tell what the manufacturing date is by the IMEI?

There are sites which you can place a device's IMEI which should be able to tell you your device model, network it works on and manufacturing date though info availability differs depending on site. This wouldn't be needed if every retail box had the device manufacturing date on it though.

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
My screen broke tonight.

I had the Zagg Tempered glass screen protector applied to it by Verizon store for $35.

I had the Casemate Wallet/Portofolio case on it covering screen and back I bought from Verizon store for $65.

$100 of protection on a phone that was advertised as having passed a MIL-spec drop test standard.

My screen is all broken, fractured from a point about 3/4" up from left bottom corner, right next to the stainless steel side frame.

What can I do?

collyesta

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
My screen broke tonight.

I had the Zagg Tempered glass screen protector applied to it by Verizon store for $35.

I had the Casemate Wallet/Portofolio case on it covering screen and back I bought from Verizon store for $65.

$100 of protection on a phone that was advertised as having passed a MIL-spec drop test standard.

My screen is all broken, fractured from a point about 3/4" up from left bottom corner, right next to the stainless steel side frame.

What can I do?

Oh man... that's horrible..

I was told that if you send your phone to LG they will diagnose your phone and determine why the screen broke. If the screen broke on its own, they will be able to see that and thus shouldn't charge you for repairing it.

I really hope they will provide you with a favorable solution. Best of luck!

Dragaa

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Chiming in. 1 month old V10 gaining spontaneous cracks as well. Love this phone in every way, but this is truly strange. I've certainly been guilty of drops before, but with the rubber backing I've not had a misstep yet. Pulled my phone out of my pocket last night after work - - and surprise! A large crack across my screen. Very, very strange, indeed. I assure any skeptics, this is a very real thing that is happening. Considering the weather has been decent lately, and my phone never gets very hot from use, I am hesitant to attribute this incident to weather. Sad story.

denarok

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I think if you put a good case it will be fine, I got a diztronic TPU case, and so far have dropped it twice, once was extremely hard from hand level and hit concrete floor, scared the crap out of me, dropped completely face down, I think I got lucky because this TPU case had a little lip so it prevents the glass form hitting concrete.

Always get a good case and try best not to drop it.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Chiming in. 1 month old V10 gaining spontaneous cracks as well. Love this phone in every way, but this is truly strange. I've certainly been guilty of drops before, but with the rubber backing I've not had a misstep yet. Pulled my phone out of my pocket last night after work - - and surprise! A large crack across my screen. Very, very strange, indeed. I assure any skeptics, this is a very real thing that is happening. Considering the weather has been decent lately, and my phone never gets very hot from use, I am hesitant to attribute this incident to weather. Sad story.

If you're able to discern it, which glass layer has the crack? The V10 has two layers of glass on it and depending on how it was manufactured, one of the layers of glass might be flush with the metal rail and since glass can be affected by weather, that's not a good thing.

Posted on an LG V10

MDS888

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I dropped my v10 from waist height onto a concrete floor last week and the screen shattered really badly - like small fragments of glass could scratch my finger. The phone had a gel case with a lip above the screen. I called T-Mobile and I used my Handset Protection insurance to have a replacement V10 sent to me overnight. The replacements they send are refurbs. After spending a day setting up the new phone I dropped it onto a counter from a height of maybe 4 inches and BAM! the screen cracked near one of the edges. I don't want to use my insurance again to get another replacement so I will look into getting a repair that I pay for.

What I have learned is that these v10 phone are VERY FRAGILE.

I have owned cell phones for 25 years - all kinds of old brick and flip phones from Motorola, Nokia and Blackberry. In the last few years, phones have generally assumed the same form factor where the entire front is glass screen. Of this type, I have owned the LG G2, G4 and now the v10. I have not suddenly become clumsy - I have used these phones in the same manner for years. Now and then I drop my phone; sometimes from a height of a few inches and sometimes from waist height. I have never had a cracked screen or broken phone EVER in my life until the v10. And now I’ve had two v10s crack on me.

Here is what I think: the v10 is manufactured in a way that makes it more susceptible to screen shatter than previous LG phones. What types of drop should a phone be able to withstand? This is hard to quantify but LG has basically lowered the bar; the v10 can withstand far less stress than previous LG phones. If LG views this as a problem, I think there is no way they will admit to it. They will improve design on their next phone and leave it at that.

I am concerned that, after fixing my current v10 and placing it in a more robust case, it will crack again. If that happens, I will likely need to buy a Samsung. I really don’t want to do this as I prefer the LG config and I would be abandoning the 3 batteries, quick chargers etc. from my v10.

I need a phone that can handle my regular use without breaking – just like every other phone I’ve owned. It looks like the v10 is simply too fragile.

John Shaw5

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Have UAG case, w/ Spigen tempered glass screen protector on my V10, several drops no problem, guess you get what you pay for....

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Have UAG case, w/ Spigen tempered glass screen protector on my V10, several drops no problem, guess you get what you pay for....

Tbh, the real issue with the V10 is not with its mil-spec certification being wrong. It's the variances in space between the glass and the stainless steel bars, which we already know is rigid. If there's too little space, natural glass expansion will cause for it to crack spontaneously or break with a relatively weak drop.

Posted on an LG V10

mlayle

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I bought a V10 on 3/21/16. Dropped it from about 18 inches onto its upper left-hand corner on 3/26 and produced a hairline fracture that runs all the way across the screen that I can see and feel. I didn't even drop it onto the screen nor did the screen make contact with anything. LG is completely unwilling to help so I guess they don't stand behind their products or claims of durability. T-Mobile did offer to (maybe) cover half of the cost of aftermarket repair, which is $200, but I'll never buy another and I'm leaving T-Mobile ASAP.