LG V10 Crack Glass after 14 days. Anyone else?

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not even sure how it happened, as I only noticed it when I turned it off to clean the screen. Yes, I dropped it several times but none were more than waist level. I inspected it after being dropped and didn't see any visible damage. It appear to have cracked by striking the stainless steel edge of the phone. I guess I'm glad I bought the insurance so I am only out $175 to replace the phone. Wasn't going to get a case, because of the reports the fingerprint reader won't work without touch the metal edge, but I have 2 on order, now

Follow up: bought a gel case to protect the metal edge and was surprised to find that the fingerprint reader still works

Last edited:

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not even sure how it happened, as I only noticed it when I turned it off to clean the screen. Yes, I dropped it several times but none were more than waist level. I inspected it after being dropped and didn't see any visible damage. It appear to have cracked by striking the stainless steel edge of the phone. I guess I'm glad I bought the insurance so I am only out $175 to replace the phone. Wasn't going to get a case, because of the reports the fingerprint reader won't work without touch the metal edge, but I have 2 on order, now

I had a brief moment of panic where I thought this happened to me....but it turned out just to be my tempered glass screen protector. I though maybe it was from keeping it in my back pocket a lot. Upon closer inspection, I could see a gouge in my screen protector that was the likely culprit. I recommend getting one.....this may be a tough phone, buy a $10 tempered glass screen protector can save you $175.00 insurance deductible.

QMaverick

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me, sadly :-(

For a supposed "mil-speck" phone, the screen cracked awfully fast, and awfully easily. I think you're right though--I think it's the steel on the sides. The screen shifts just enough to hit it, and BAM, hairline crack (that's what I've got).

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
This has happened to me, sadly :-(

For a supposed "mil-speck" phone, the screen cracked awfully fast, and awfully easily. I think you're right though--I think it's the steel on the sides. The screen shifts just enough to hit it, and BAM, hairline crack (that's what I've got).

Sorry, the former Engineering Spec-***** in me wants to correct this...MIL-Spec.

Now that that's out of the way, can you post a picture of the crack?

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Picture?

cpqNetworks

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, exactly 14 days... Brand new phone, never dropped, cut my thumb (only way I realized)

I purchased the LG V10 the day it was available off Verizon.

The screen cracked without a drop and Verizon wants to charge me. I'm now in contact with LG Corporate HQ after tweeting them for 2 days in a row, and returning the phone to corporate.

If your new LG V10 screen is cracked without reason, you are not alone. Do not give in. Paid good money for this phone, livid Verizon wouldn't help.

-Kris :'(

sJq8v6F.jpg

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Yes, exactly 14 days... Brand new phone, never dropped, cut my thumb (only way I realized)

That is exactly how mine cracked, except it was on the right hand side about an inch and half up. Never was sharp enough to feel it or cut me and the screen keep working.

Rockafella

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the oblique case and love it. It fits really well and doesn't add bulk to the phone. I also like the fact that the grip pattern is very similar to the battery backing of the phone.

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you have any luck with LG, I suspect you are correct but no one else seems to be having problems, yet

Waldo Posted via the Android Central App

adg

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Happend to me twice already, no drops no shocks, tempered glass screen protector on, put it in the pocket, went outside in cold wheater, came back inside, pulled it out and noticed hairline cracks starting by the left steel rail, screen protector not cracked; lg replaced the digitizer for free first time, a week after i got it back it cracked again in the same area, screen protector still good; second time lg asked for $153 to replace the digitizer; i am afraid this is going to keep happening, very frustrating, this is the last lg product for me, my lg g2 is still running good but the battery is showing its age, i used the g2 more than the v10 since i got the v10.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed this today. I have the Spigen Tempered Glass on and I hope it's just the tempered glass protector and not the phones display.
This was not there a couple of days ago. Hate to remove the Spigen as I got it on near perfect with no junk underneath.
It seems to be the same area as pictured above.

v10glass.jpg

Mike Kelly7

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Bought mine from T-Mobile new on December 17. Ordered Spigen case and screen protector which were delivered on Christmas Eve. Put the case on but waiting for a good time where my patience level is high to put on the screen protector - and dropped it today and noticed a 3.5" hairline crack extending from the lower left corner across the phone to the upper right corner. The crack is not super visible - but still - this is a phone that is less than 2 weeks old! I previously had a Lumina 950 and dropped it multiple times with no negative effects. I'm disappointed in this.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Something is seriously wrong with this phone for it to crack so easily

Really? So the phone gets dropped multiple times and the glass cracks and that means something is wrong with the phone?

If you drop a picture frame and the glass cracks or shatters, is there something wrong with the picture frame?

waldolake

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Read the thread, there are reports of cracked screens without being dropped. I've dropped every phone I've ever owned but they didn't crack. Just because it hasn't happen to you yet...don't discount it

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Read the thread, there are reports of cracked screens without being dropped. I've dropped every phone I've ever owned but they didn't crack. Just because it hasn't happen to you yet...don't discount it

The simple fact is it's still glass and prone to cracking, scratches or shattering just like anything else with glass.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

I don't want to come off as argumentative, but there's no such thing as glass just breaking on it's own. Doesn't happen in house windows, car windows or our phones. Period!

There MUST be some external force, whether it be impact, twisting, bending, or even extreme thermal changes ... there must be an action against the glass for it to break.

Now here's where I side WITH YOU ... I also believe there are instances that there have been occurrences of a force that wasn't recognizable to the owner of the phone and they find themselves with a cracked screen. I also think some people had a previous phone that had better protection surrounding the glass and their normal "handling and placement and pocketing/pursing" of their previous phone allowed for a higher tolerance of bumps, thumps and wear/tear .... only for them to get one of the newer phones with glass that has gotten closer to the edges as well as more facial exposure, including a larger screen ... and the ways they're used to treating a phone are no longer within the tolerance of the phone's glass exposure.

If everyone who gets a new phone was told that it is a bit more fragile than the one they've had for the last year or so ... a SIGNIFICANT number of phones would never have broken screens.

Again ... I'm not trying to discount your experience ... only showing the primary reason for cracked screens on new phones.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine from T-Mobile new on December 17. Ordered Spigen case and screen protector which were delivered on Christmas Eve. Put the case on but waiting for a good time where my patience level is high to put on the screen protector - and dropped it today and noticed a 3.5" hairline crack extending from the lower left corner across the phone to the upper right corner. The crack is not super visible - but still - this is a phone that is less than 2 weeks old! I previously had a Lumina 950 and dropped it multiple times with no negative effects. I'm disappointed in this.

I would take it back to T Mobile if it is less then 2 weeks old and swap it for a new one.
You had the Spigen case on when dropped and it still cracked? Must have been a thin Spigen case.

My picture above turned out to just be the Spigen glass not my phone, Thank God.

michael hester1

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the otter box.its big but protects very well.I like that the clip part protects the screen while in my pocket.had the same one on the g2.droped the v10 one time while i was walking at work.droped on my foot as my foot was coming up.so i kicked it about 6ft into a wall i thought well thats it I broke it .but it was fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy