V10 or 6P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Without knowing anything about what you like or don't like about either, IMO the 6P is by far and away the best device on the market and the V10 is probably in the top 10, maybe even the top 5.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
6p has had some serious issues. Do your research.

Posted via the Android Central App

It does? Like what? Are you referring to all of the debunked bending/breaking/magically exploding issues? Or something real? I guess other than watching a bunch of videos, reading a bunch of reviews, talking to friends who have it, ordering it and spending a huge amount of time moderating these forums I haven't done any official research. What do you suggest?

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
It does? Like what? Are you referring to all of the debunked bending/breaking/magically exploding issues? Or something real? I guess other than watching a bunch of videos, reading a bunch of reviews, talking to friends who have it, ordering it and spending a huge amount of time moderating these forums I haven't done any official research. What do you suggest?

Haha well you have I guess but one thing is the glass over the camera supposedly has been breaking as well as software glitches reported.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Haha well you have I guess but one thing is the glass over the camera supposedly has been breaking as well as software glitches reported.

The camera supposedly isn't as good as people expected. The LG camera is phenomenal.

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about getting the V10 but also interested in the 6p. Any thoughts which one?

The V10 is a very solid phone, and I mean that in every sense of the word, but, there are a few things you should know. You will need to change the launcher and add a few apps to make it right. While the standby battery life is excellent, screen on time is pretty dismal. There are some complaints about screen brightness, I don't have a problem with it. I have experienced some quirks in Wi-Fi connection, where it will be connected, but, not communicating. There is, in many cases including mine, light bleed from the second screen. This phone is heavy!

All that being said, I still think it is a great device. Unfortunately, since you're asking this question now, you're not gonna get the free micro sd card and battery. But, I have read something about Best Buy giving a 24" TV with the phone.

I think that the price, expandable memory, and accesses to the battery, makes the V10 a great value. And the phone is built like a tank. But the Nexus 6p is more "future proof". You'll pay more for the Nexus, but, I expect your user experience, in the months to come, will be higher than mine will be with the V10.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The V10 is a very solid phone, and I mean that in every sense of the word, but, there are a few things you should know. You will need to change the launcher and add a few apps to make it right. While the standby battery life is excellent, screen on time is pretty dismal. There are some complaints about screen brightness, I don't have a problem with it. I have experienced some quirks in Wi-Fi connection, where it will be connected, but, not communicating. There is, in many cases including mine, light bleed from the second screen. This phone is heavy!

All that being said, I still think it is a great device. Unfortunately, since you're asking this question now, you're not gonna get the free micro sd card and battery. But, I have read something about Best Buy giving a 24" TV with the phone.

I think that the price, expandable memory, and accesses to the battery, makes the V10 a great value. And the phone is built like a tank. But the Nexus 6p is more "future proof". You'll pay more for the Nexus, but, I expect your user experience, in the months to come, will be higher than mine will be with the V10.

No one can really say which phone is better for anyone else.
It is all personal preference.
Saying that a launcher is needed is purely personal.
I am fine without a launcher.
Literally every phone user adds apps so I don' know what that means.
Battery life is a relative concept. You have to compare to another device or be specific about time for it to mean anything. What seems dismal to you might be great for someone else.
Finally this phantom "light bleed issue" is ridiculous. What is the practical problem?
Yes, if you cut the main screen off you can see a little glow from the secondary screen.
And....? How does that impact performance or enjoyment of the phone?
I have tested dark video scenes on the main screen but the second screen isn't on so there is no ill effect.
So unless you like watching your blank screen I think this is a non issue.
I haven't had any WiFi issues and I don't think that is a widely reported issue associated with this phone.
I agree that the V10 is heavier than most large smartphones, but I think that is because of the steel frame that provides great durability and unmatched rigidity.
There are fingerprint scanner issues that have been addressed by an update on the AT&T models but not T-MOBILE and Verizon editions.
I know we are giving our personal opinions but I try not to be as objective as possible.

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No one can really say which phone is better for anyone else.
It is all personal preference.
Saying that a launcher is needed is purely personal.
I am fine without a launcher.
Literally every phone user adds apps so I don' know what that means.
Battery life is a relative concept. You have to compare to another device or be specific about time for it to mean anything. What seems dismal to you might be great for someone else.
Finally this phantom "light bleed issue" is ridiculous. What is the practical problem?
Yes, if you cut the main screen off you can see a little glow from the secondary screen.
And....? How does that impact performance or enjoyment of the phone?
I have tested dark video scenes on the main screen but the second screen isn't on so there is no ill effect.
So unless you like watching your blank screen I think this is a non issue.
I haven't had any WiFi issues and I don't think that is a widely reported issue associated with this phone.
I agree that the V10 is heavier than most large smartphones, but I think that is because of the steel frame that provides great durability and unmatched rigidity.
There are fingerprint scanner issues that have been addressed by an update on the AT&T models but not T-MOBILE and Verizon editions.
I know we are giving our personal opinions but I try not to be as objective as possible.

I just pointed out things that the OP may want to know, as, they asked for advice. This is my experience with the device, and finally, my opinion. I think it is a solid device with a few quirks. I believe that everything I mentioned was fair. No device is perfect, this one included.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well that's good then. All I can say is in happy with the v10. And it's a great value imho because it starts out with 64 GB.

To be clear, I'm not disparaging the V10 at all - I have three friends that bought it, two loved it and one returned because a critical app didn't work correctly but still really liked the device.

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the nexus 5, going on 2 years. I like the phone but I believe the battery is starting to go and it's starting to get sluggish. Also noticed that it believes that I'm about 2 blocks away from my house,not sure if it's the phone or just Google. Always liked the phone and if tmoblie would sell the 6P I would probably get it. Never had any problems with the 5. The salesman at tmoblie said if it was him he would get the 5X. The replaceable battery is a big plus. I know each phone has it's pros and cons but the opinions do help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know each phone has it's pros and cons but the opinions do help.

I don't have the 6P, but I do have the 5X. That is a wonderful phone. I have been away from Vanilla since about May, and I missed it. I was running the G4, and I didn't really care for the way the UI was in your face, similar to Samsung. When I turned on the 5X, the feeling was like coming home.

I'm not trying to convince you to go with the 6. But I am pointing out that there will be a UI difference. If you can, play with the phone for a while in the store. Don't forget, you should have a 14 day return window too.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Have you read this article? Comparison: Nexus 6P versus LG G4 and V10 Comparison: Nexus 6P versus LG G4 and V10 | Android Central

The 6P doesn't have a bad camera. It just might need some camera apps from Play Store.

Have had them both. The 6P camera is well below the V10's - and that of the iPhone 6S+. The decision to leave OIS off the 6P is mind-boggling. And now that I've put Nova Prime on the V10 it runs about the same as the 6P, but with more options available from stock Android. I'd go V10 without reservation.

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

What launcher and apps are you using specifically?

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What launcher and apps are you using specifically?

I'm using Nova Launcher Prime. I'm using an app called Screen off and lock, because Nova Launcher makes it so to have to double tap the notification area to turn the phone off.

I'm also using Textra for my messaging app. And I downloaded the Google Clock app. And I'm using a different Dialer App (can't remember the name).

That's just the things I needed too do to get the phone about where I needed it.

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Nova Launcher Prime. I'm using an app called Screen off and lock, because Nova Launcher makes it so to have to double tap the notification area to turn the phone off.

I'm also using Textra for my messaging app. And I downloaded the Google Clock app. And I'm using a different Dialer App (can't remember the name).

That's just the things I needed too do to get the phone about where I needed it.
Basic or Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2