V10 or 6P

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Think of your usage pattern.

If you're a power user, go with the V10. The 64GB of base storage + removable 3000mAh battery will help a lot and you're also getting a killer camera.

If you're not, Nexus 6P. It's beautiful, speedy, runs stock Android, and also has a great camera.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
The 6P runs faster, there is no denying. I've had the V10 inexplicably choke and freeze at times. Not a lot, but it's happened. That's never happened with the 6P. What I think people (non-hardcore Android people that is) fail to realize is exactly what stock Android entails. It is literally bare bones. No rearranging of home buttons; no knock on, knock off screen; a camera app with the most basic of controls, etc. As much as some people complain about skins, they provide some very beneficial operations. Oh as for the batteries, I haven't noticed much difference between the two. If they sit around all day and do nothing, sure the batteries last forever on both phones. But who does that? As a recent Android dabbler I can say that I truly enjoy the difference experiences between phones. So much more enjoyable than the one-size fits all iPhone approach.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The 6P runs faster, there is no denying. I've had the V10 inexplicably choke and freeze at times. Not a lot, but it's happened. That's never happened with the 6P. What I think people (non-hardcore Android people that is) fail to realize is exactly what stock Android entails. It is literally bare bones. No rearranging of home buttons; no knock on, knock off screen; a camera app with the most basic of controls, etc. As much as some people complain about skins, they provide some very beneficial operations..

Yes and no, the Nexus has come a long way in that regard. Some features you would only expect on skinned OEM phones: Ambient display, fingerprint reader, rapid charging, USB-C, always listening Google Now are all examples that have ended what most people would think of as bare bones. While I agree with you that OEM features have evolved from useless gimmicks into actually useful, they still remain subjective to the users who agree or disagree that they themselves want them. For me subjectively speaking, none of the OEMs have made a phone this year with features that would sway me from another 'feature' that Nexus has: OEM+carrier-free updates and lack of OEM+carrier bloatware. One could argue that is also a feature.

On the other hand, someone sitting next to me could feel that they prefer certain OEM features to those on Nexus. It's totally subject to opinion and preference.

Charles Collins

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The two main differences will be software updates and carrier availability. Nexus monthly security patches are important and the manufacturers need to step up their game with them. So the 6P clearly wins software updating. Carrier availability is in the favor of the V10, you can go to your local (US) carrier store and walk out with a V10 for as little as sales tax down. Additionally you can hold and play with the V10 at the store. The 6P you are paying full up front and have to rely on the experts for the phones feel, quality, and everything else. I give that a win to the V10, I really want to handle a phone before I pay a large amount and or get into a contract.

Posted via the Android Central App

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Without knowing anything about what you like or don't like about either, IMO the 6P is by far and away the best device on the market and the V10 is probably in the top 10, maybe even the top 5.

This is just an opinion. If you like sd card slots and removable batteries then the opinion is wrong

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6p and really like it. Thinking about getting away from it however because my main source of internet is from wireless hotspot (unlimited data) and I'm worrying about ruining a non removable battery

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is just an opinion. If you like sd card slots and removable batteries then the opinion is wrong

The OP gave us no criteria and so opinions are the only things being offered. By everyone. I personally strongly dislike both SD card slots and removable batteries and value software, design and things like screen quality, camera, battery life and security. The Nexus goes far beyond the V10 on security, has better software and physical design and they are both pushing really good cameras, etc.

So my initial response, without knowing what criteria the OP values, is to compare them based on the criteria that I'd use and see if they can share what they like or dislike about both devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But they certainly don't need to. Had the 6P featured a removable battery and SD card, what feature would have been removed - and why?

Well, Marshmallow fixed a lot of the security issues that SD cards lead to and many OEM's have gotten the slot to fit in the SIM tray, which would minimize the structural compromises that SD card slots typically present - so an SD card slot, I'm ok with when it is done mindfully. I have the NVIDIA Shield Tablet and Moto X Pure Edition and both of those have SD card slots and I bought them anyway (through I don't use the slot on either device). Huawei could have gotten away with an SD cards slot and we'd probably be okay.

Removable battery has four standard issues that bother me, though some are with the mentality that they promote rather than the actual feature itself.
1. Physical structure compromise. A device with a removable back and/or battery is going to be obviously more than one piece, removing the back is going to weaken the strength of the device and the assembly. The device is going to necessarily be thicker than it otherwise may need to be. On the flip side, a removable back generally leads to a device that is easier to repair should something physically go wrong with the device. The device will have to be built in a way that the battery is accessible, and some design opportunities are missed, in terms of placement and strategies that can mitigate heat and or use more creative battery shapes.
2. The battery is going to be smaller (in terms of capacity) than it would be if the OEM is not restricted to a rectangle that has to be user removable. Modern batteries can be made to conform to different shapes and thus can eek out more capacity from the same total volume form factor (of the device) by using the space better.
3. Removable batteries promote users' poor behavior due to "hot swapping". Many users think they can 'use the battery down to 5% or less, sometimes letting it die - that's cool, pop off the back and put in the other battery and you're good to go!'. With what we've learned about battery health and heat management, this is very bad for the device and having a device that promotes healthy charging habits by not giving the option for hot swapping in some cases is protecting the user from their own ignorance.
4. Removable batteries promote 'battery pulls', (shutting the device off by removing the battery) which can lead to some of the "lag" and other performance issues that people complain about in phones. Having the user use a proper shut down is much better for the device and the user's experience in the long term.

And for both features, like all features, the inclusion takes up resources in terms of time (engineering, software support) and, for anything that is not a Nexus, will require additional software work on firmware updates to ensure smooth integration of legacy features with new software. So, if the OEM's are going to spend some money on batteries and storage, my preference is this: Spend the money on better software and/or battery technology to get us phones that last many, many days or weeks on a 3000 mAh battery. Spend the money on bringing 256 or 512 GB devices to the market - with faster internal storage that doesn't require a $50 or $100 mark up per increase. I'd much rather have a 128GB phone than have a 32GB phone with an SD card slot, even if the SD card slot supports up to 200GB.

Long story short (TLDR), the cost is way too high for these two features and the benefits are less than none for what I value in phones. Both features, to me, are detrimental and that makes the opportunity cost have an unnatural detraction from the same device in all manners except for the exclusion of either or both features. Obviously some users disagree and value those features above the opportunity cost and for them those features become much more important and desirable. Buy what you like, love what you bought :)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
As you may have noticed, there are a lot of differing opinions. That's because people want different things from their phones, and the phones themselves are very different. I personally think the 6p is the best thing ever and don't carry anything else anymore. I was a fan of SD cards and removable batteries, but the fast charge helps the battery issue a lot, and I found I can live without the SD card. The camera is excellent, screen is fantastic, the phone screams right along, the battery is actually great. It's nice and light for it's size. The V10 looks like a tank, has a superb camera, and really everything else you can find out about by reading the reviews. So you need to decide what your use is going to be and go from there. Either way you will have a fine phone. If you want that V10 camera, get the G4. It's another incredible phone. I do admire LGs cameras, but I use the 6p camera on a daily basis and it's never let me down. I look at the extras loaded on to cameras and etc the same way as I do Microsoft Word. I use Word to type stuff. There are a million *other* things it can do. But that's all I want and all 99.995% of people will want. So unless you are one of the .005%, either camera will work fine for you. And unless you want to weaponize your phone, maybe the 6p will be easier to live with. Your choice. You won't end up with a clunker either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2