An honest review from a fan of the V10

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Does the V10 have some type of reach-ability feature like the Galaxy note 4, where the screen shrinks down for one hand texting etc?

Posted via the Android Central App

It's actually really easy to do. You just swipe right to left (for left side), or left to right across the navigation buttons at the bottom of your screen.

BigBodySS

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone that owns the V10 choose it over the Nexus 6P? I'm torn between these two phones and would like to hear your thoughts.

The following items are why I'm considering the 6P over the V10:
-Battery size of the 6P. I know the V10 has a removable battery but I don't like having to carry around an extra battery.

-The, reportedly - haven't tried it myself, silky smooth finger print reader on the 6P versus the reported troubles of the V10. I currently own the Samsung S6 Edge (which is why a big battery is such a priority for me, ugh) and the reader on it has some troubles and aggravates me daily.

-Stock android. I had the LG G3 and couldn't get used to their software at all. I've stuck with Launchers for years but for once would like to try the native software.

-Ability to use Project Fi. I may or may not leave Verizon one day, but would like to have the option of doing so that the 6P presents there.

-Bigger processor. Admittedly, I'm very much a novice when it comes to these things so I don't know if there's a huge difference between the 808 and 810. However, I'm a heavy user and every phone I've ever had has given me problems when I get to really hammering on it. They've all overheated, hung up, force closed, etc... and I'm thinking the larger processor of the 6P may help alleviate some of those troubles.

Having said all that, I like the V10 for the following reasons:

-The camera looks AWESOME. My phone camera is my camera for everything and I need it to work right out of the box and take great shots. The examples I've seen of the V10 show it doing just that.

-The durability of the V10. I hate cases and end up going with the slimmest case possible. However, inevitably, I end up dropping my phone and cracking the screen because of the lack of protection from those cases. I like the idea of the V10 actually withstanding my clumsiness.

-The audio processor. Again, a novice here, but I consume a ton of media on my phone (podcasts, audio books, streaming music, etc...) and I already don't have the greatest hearing. I listen to it all on headphones but sometimes even having the volume turned all the way up isn't loud enough for me on my S6 Edge. I've read great things about V10's audio capabilities.

Anyway, big long question, I know, but if anyone has made the decision that I'm currently struggling wtih would you please weigh in with your perspective? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Fifen

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I really like this phone (don't own it). I like that it offers removable battery and SD card. Something you don't see much any more in modern High end Smartphones. But my only issue is: "is the screen/phone too big?" I have quite small (and old!) S2 4.5inch. could I handle the switch? I'm not worried about caring it around more about holding it.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone that owns the V10 choose it over the Nexus 6P? I'm torn between these two phones and would like to hear your thoughts.

The following items are why I'm considering the 6P over the V10:
-Battery size of the 6P. I know the V10 has a removable battery but I don't like having to carry around an extra battery.

-The, reportedly - haven't tried it myself, silky smooth finger print reader on the 6P versus the reported troubles of the V10. I currently own the Samsung S6 Edge (which is why a big battery is such a priority for me, ugh) and the reader on it has some troubles and aggravates me daily.

-Stock android. I had the LG G3 and couldn't get used to their software at all. I've stuck with Launchers for years but for once would like to try the native software.

-Ability to use Project Fi. I may or may not leave Verizon one day, but would like to have the option of doing so that the 6P presents there.

-Bigger processor. Admittedly, I'm very much a novice when it comes to these things so I don't know if there's a huge difference between the 808 and 810. However, I'm a heavy user and every phone I've ever had has given me problems when I get to really hammering on it. They've all overheated, hung up, force closed, etc... and I'm thinking the larger processor of the 6P may help alleviate some of those troubles.

Having said all that, I like the V10 for the following reasons:

-The camera looks AWESOME. My phone camera is my camera for everything and I need it to work right out of the box and take great shots. The examples I've seen of the V10 show it doing just that.

-The durability of the V10. I hate cases and end up going with the slimmest case possible. However, inevitably, I end up dropping my phone and cracking the screen because of the lack of protection from those cases. I like the idea of the V10 actually withstanding my clumsiness.

-The audio processor. Again, a novice here, but I consume a ton of media on my phone (podcasts, audio books, streaming music, etc...) and I already don't have the greatest hearing. I listen to it all on headphones but sometimes even having the volume turned all the way up isn't loud enough for me on my S6 Edge. I've read great things about V10's audio capabilities.

Anyway, big long question, I know, but if anyone has made the decision that I'm currently struggling wtih would you please weigh in with your perspective? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

All your points are right on....so in the end, it's a choice over which factors are most important to you. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the V10 or the 6P, and you'll likely wonder if the other would have been a better choice from time to time. We all have moments of love and disdain for our handsets...but in the end, those are 2 solid devices.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I really like this phone (don't own it). I like that it offers removable battery and SD card. Something you don't see much any more in modern High end Smartphones. But my only issue is: "is the screen/phone too big?" I have quite small (and old!) S2 4.5inch. could I handle the switch? I'm not worried about caring it around more about holding it.

Phone size is a funny thing. I loved my G2, but when the G3 came out, I went elsewhere because I though it was too big for me. This time around, I wanted a bigger device....and now that I have it, it doesn't seem that big to me. Perspective is a funny thing.....it really depends on where your mind is. I would say if you're not looking for a bigger device, it might be to big for you. If you're looking for a larger screen to consume delicious media on, then you'll never regret going big.

BigBodySS

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
All your points are right on....so in the end, it's a choice over which factors are most important to you. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the V10 or the 6P, and you'll likely wonder if the other would have been a better choice from time to time. We all have moments of love and disdain for our handsets...but in the end, those are 2 solid devices.

I think you've nailed my current thoughts exactly. I've arrived to thinking "just get one, you'll like it, and at the same time you'll always wonder if you would have liked the other better".

Err19

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Great review. I've had this phone since the 15th and absolutely love it. I was debating Note 5, Droid Turbo 2, and the Nexus'. I agree the bottom speaker isn't great for media. The battery life hasn't been bad for me. I stream music all day but usually run a dim screen so that probably helps. I never thought I would own a phone this big but it just works great. I did change to the Google launcher to make it feel like my OG Moto X. I love the second screen for music control. The only thing I miss about my Moto X is the always on listening. I didn't think I would like the back controls but have grown to love them. No issues with the fingerprint scanner and I like that you have to press it first to activate the screen to scan your print so accidently touching it won't open the phone. Bring on Marshmallow! All in all this phone is great and I recommend it to anyone.

Greenidelover

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Quick tip...while in the lock screen try double pressing either the volume up or volume down key...you can access either the camera or the quick memo from there.

This phone is amazing...coming off an S3...a power user who carried 6 batteries at all times...I can easily say this phone has all the best features still available to phones...

Removable battery is without a doubt the deal breaker for Samsung going forward so this tank called "V10" is going to take the top spot I'm sure in sales.

Base storage 64 gigs expandable...4 gigs of ram...nothing beats that right now...

The camera is great..try taking up close photos...macro shots...the detail is crazy fine.

The only negatives I've come across...
The speaker...not the best sound...
And notifications tends to pause/interrupt what I'm doing by dimming the whole screen and/or pausing current task.

Lastly...maybe the hardest part for me...
Data times out when on a phone call...may not bother others, but I tether heavily...a phone call kills all data functions...meaning gaming has lapses on tethered devices...ouch.

Otherwise...money well spent.

bigguh

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Quick tip...while in the lock screen try double pressing either the volume up or volume down key...you can access either the camera or the quick memo from there.

This phone is amazing...coming off an S3...a power user who carried 6 batteries at all times...I can easily say this phone has all the best features still available to phones...

Removable battery is without a doubt the deal breaker for Samsung going forward so this tank called "V10" is going to take the top spot I'm sure in sales.

Base storage 64 gigs expandable...4 gigs of ram...nothing beats that right now...

The camera is great..try taking up close photos...macro shots...the detail is crazy fine.

The only negatives I've come across...
The speaker...not the best sound...
And notifications tends to pause/interrupt what I'm doing by dimming the whole screen and/or pausing current task.

Lastly...maybe the hardest part for me...
Data times out when on a phone call...may not bother others, but I tether heavily...a phone call kills all data functions...meaning gaming has lapses on tethered devices...ouch.

Otherwise...money well spent.

My notifications show up on the 2nd screen.

atremorer

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
This review is pretty spot on. I really like my V10, but it does have its quirks.

The #1 annoyance is definitely the fingerprint scanner. Honestly, if I take my case off it works great with nary a delay. However, I like having a case on. I often have to top it several times before it will work and I have retrained it after adding the case. Also, LG needs to use the Marshmallow fingerprint capabilities when they upgrade so that it has more applicable uses.

I must say that, having moved from the LG G4, I like the speaker placement better on the V10 than I did the G4. I'm glad they moved it back to the end. I've had a G3 and G2 and I'm glad to see that it's back to the placement from the G2.

I'm actually having better battery life than I had on my G4, so I'm not complaining about it. Yes, I'd like better life; I can still kill it by the end of the day.

The screen is gorgeous. LG does great screens. I agree with the quirkiness of the auto brightness though. Sometimes it just seems to dim at the most inopportune times.

Though it's definitely a novelty, I am liking the second screen.

I didn't think I would like going to a phone this big, but it's very workable. It still feels better in my hand than my friends' Samsung Notes.

xxGBHxx

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Very decent review and you are right, no phone is perfect which is why I truly wrestled with my decision, but so glad I went with this over the Note. When I was seriously considering the Note, I felt as though I was settling. I have not felt like that with this one at all. (also , yes redo the fingerprint trainer, it should work better if you do it from the angles you do it at more).

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What would you say is the absolute best and worst in your opinion of the points you listed?

My personal favorite is the Camera....and my biggest disappointment is a tie between the battery and speaker. That said, the battery life does seem to be improving. I've now had a couple days where I didn't have to charge to get through the day. How much of that is battery improvement vs less screen time now that the phone is less new, I can't say for sure.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
5.1" screen, move 2nd screen to bottom drawer, give it FF speakers and a physical camera button and I'll buy three!

I understand your comment...but a couple notes on it. The 2nd screen on the bottom would mean useless space on the top beside the cameras...although bottom is better for reach-ability, I don't think it would improve the phone. Also, the volume key (press down twice) is a physical camera button, so there's that.

dayers3

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Great review. I'm debating on getting this phone, i currently have an iphone 5c and want to switch to android. I am worried about how big the phone is, i don't have the biggest hands. The last android phone i had was the galaxy s3 and i hated it, so im nervous about its performance also. Any suggestions?