Fingerprint sensor and cases

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I just got my third party case from eBay. My fingerprint sensor stopped working while in the case. I found the Urban Armor Gear case, and contacted the company. They claim the sensor works while in their case. Anyone try these cases?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Try rescanning your fingerprints with the case on. I did that on my T-Mobile version and now it works pretty well if I just use the tip of my finger.

Supposedly an update was pushed on ATT that also helped but haven't seen that on T-Mobile yet and both T-Mobile and LG just ignore the question on Twitter.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
You are holding the phone just differently enough with the case on that you should re-train the FPS.

And you might want to do it again a couple of weeks later, as you settle into how you hold the phone even more.

This whole "FPS doesn't work with a case on" is pure bunk. It works 100% of the time for me.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Try rescanning your fingerprints with the case on. I did that on my T-Mobile version and now it works pretty well if I just use the tip of my finger.

Supposedly an update was pushed on ATT that also helped but haven't seen that on T-Mobile yet and both T-Mobile and LG just ignore the question on Twitter.
Well I deleted all of my fingerprints and attempted to redo them with the case in but was successful once. That took nearly half an hour to complete. 1 scan. Even after I scanned my finger,the sensor still only works around5% if the time. I've just decided to stop using the sensor. Kind of sucks as the Fingerprint sensor was a major selling point in this phone.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
You are holding the phone just differently enough with the case on that you should re-train the FPS.

And you might want to do it again a couple of weeks later, as you settle into how you hold the phone even more.

This whole "FPS doesn't work with a case on" is pure bunk. It works 100% of the time for me.

Yea I don't know. Maybe it's bunk for you, but 95% of the time the sensor doesn't work while in the case.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

There's nothing bunk about it. It is an issue. It may not be every case or every phone but there is something going on.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
There's nothing bunk about it. It is an issue. It may not be every case or every phone but there is something going on.

nope. My Spigen case completely covers the back and the sides. My body never touches the metal edges, and yet my FPS unlocks the phone 100% of the time.

It took me a couple of weeks to teach myself how to use the FPS, for sure. For example, I initially struggled with the FPS when I first got the phone; I couldn't really get it to work much at all. I didn't know how to use it. It was also a matter of my learning how to hold the phone, and how to use the buttons on the back--something that is NOT intuitable. It must be learned.

And then I did re-train it after I got the case.

So I went from no case and the FPS barely working, to a case and the FPS working 100% of the time. There's not "something going on" from a technical standpoint; it's a matter of training and experience.

The phone isn't even two months old yet. There isn't a big body of people experienced with using it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
nope. My Spigen case completely covers the back and the sides. My body never touches the metal edges, and yet my FPS unlocks the phone 100% of the time.

It took me a couple of weeks to teach myself how to use the FPS, for sure. For example, I initially struggled with the FPS when I first got the phone; I couldn't really get it to work much at all. I didn't know how to use it. It was also a matter of my learning how to hold the phone, and how to use the buttons on the back--something that is NOT intuitable. It must be learned.

And then I did re-train it after I got the case.

So I went from no case and the FPS barely working, to a case and the FPS working 100% of the time. There's not "something going on" from a technical standpoint; it's a matter of training and experience.

The phone isn't even two months old yet. There isn't a big body of people experienced with using it.

Just because yours is working doesn't mean that every phone and every case are working perfectly in regards to the FPS.

I don't need to 'train' myself how to use the back buttons or how to hold the phone. I had a G3 and G4 so I'm well versed in the back buttons.

If I take the case off, the FPS works nearly flawlessly. Case on, same finger placement, no dice. I have to use my fingertip and the FPS works fine.

Just because you are having luck with your phone doesn't mean you can discount the issue.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm not having "luck" with my phone. It Just Works--case or no case.

I bet I would have just as much "luck" with your phone, with your case on it, as I do with mine.

If a carrier is pushing out updates to "fix" this, then it could only be because their carrierware broke it in the first place--and others without their carrierware don't suffer the same problems.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not having "luck" with my phone. It Just Works--case or no case.

I bet I would have just as much "luck" with your phone, with your case on it, as I do with mine.

If a carrier is pushing out updates to "fix" this, then it could only be because their carrierware broke it in the first place--and others without their carrierware don't suffer the same problems.

Is it possible that you had the update that fixed the Fingerprint sensor issue? I'm on T-Mobile and probably won't see an update for awhile.

I've tried with zero success to get the sensor to work with a case. I don't care how much training I do for this sensor to work, it will not.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm sure you just have the magic touch and can make every V10 FPS work perfectly. All the people on here, Reddit, XDA and other sites having FPS problems must just not know how to use their phone.

Not every carrier pushes at the same time. LG could push the update to all carriers for approval and they could approve at vastly different times.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible that you had the update that fixed the Fingerprint sensor issue? I'm on T-Mobile and probably won't see an update for awhile.

I've tried with zero success to get the sensor to work with a case. I don't care how much training I do for this sensor to work, it will not.

T-Mobile here, so no.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have no fingerprint issues - I have a naked phone.

The 3 guys in my office who have the V10 also have cases, 2 of them are the same, one a different case. All at the same time, they cleared the fingerprint security and reset their fingerprints with the cases on.

Two of the phones work (almost) perfectly - yet, they do not have the same case.

One of the phones works better - but it is not as good as the other two.

Our next test will be to slightly turn and twist his finger for different angles as he resets the fingerprint sensor again. I'll let you know how that works out.

Timothy Lavoie

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem and FOUND OUT WHY! The V10 was designed to require 2 things to happen at the same time for the fingerprint sensor to work. You must be touching the power button with your fingertip AND holding a metal edge of the phone AT THE SAME TIME or the sensor ignores the finger. This prevents the phone from unlocking unless it's IN YOUR HAND (like touching it in your pocket accidentally). Unfortunately most cases cover the metal sides of the phone, but not all do. That's why some people are having this issue, but others are not. Some cases are also just conductive enough to allow an electrical "ground" to the sides when holding it. It has nothing to do with how your finger print was "learned". It has to do with the metal edges of the phone being covered. If you simply notch a piece of the case side in a location where your hand can contact the phone's frame, it will work fine. I have found with my case, all i have to do is put my thumb on the side of the screen, and it JUST makes enough contact with the side rail that it will unlock. I do hope LG releases a software fix that will allow us to turn off the "necessary to touch the frame" feature. Hope this helps someone out there.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem and FOUND OUT WHY! The V10 was designed to require 2 things to happen at the same time for the fingerprint sensor to work. You must be touching the power button with your fingertip AND holding a metal edge of the phone AT THE SAME TIME or the sensor ignores the finger. This prevents the phone from unlocking unless it's IN YOUR HAND (like touching it in your pocket accidentally). Unfortunately most cases cover the metal sides of the phone, but not all do. That's why some people are having this issue, but others are not. Some cases are also just conductive enough to allow an electrical "ground" to the sides when holding it. It has nothing to do with how your finger print was "learned". It has to do with the metal edges of the phone being covered. If you simply notch a piece of the case side in a location where your hand can contact the phone's frame, it will work fine. I have found with my case, all i have to do is put my thumb on the side of the screen, and it JUST makes enough contact with the side rail that it will unlock. I do hope LG releases a software fix that will allow us to turn off the "necessary to touch the frame" feature. Hope this helps someone out there.

You don't read much here, do you.

My plastic case is not conductive--and my FPS works 100% of the time.

And no, I'm not touching the screen at all.

The internet does nothing but spread random voodoo, I swear.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You don't read much here, do you.

My plastic case is not conductive--and my FPS works 100% of the time.

And no, I'm not touching the screen at all.

The internet does nothing but spread random voodoo, I swear.

And I suppose you saying there is no issue and claiming everyone just doesn't know how to use their phone is any better?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
It's a datum point, and not "I heard it somewhere" voodoo.

I guarantee, I could make any V10 FPS work just fine--case or no.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie