02-05-2016 07:11 AM
36 12
tools
    Hello. I just got my third party case from eBay. My fingerprint sensor stopped working while in the case. I found the Urban Armor Gear case, and contacted the company. They claim the sensor works while in their case. Anyone try these cases?
    12-17-2015 05:19 PM
    Try rescanning your fingerprints with the case on. I did that on my T-Mobile version and now it works pretty well if I just use the tip of my finger.

Supposedly an update was pushed on ATT that also helped but haven't seen that on T-Mobile yet and both T-Mobile and LG just ignore the question on Twitter.
    12-17-2015 05:30 PM
    You are holding the phone just differently enough with the case on that you should re-train the FPS.

And you might want to do it again a couple of weeks later, as you settle into how you hold the phone even more.

This whole "FPS doesn't work with a case on" is pure bunk. It works 100% of the time for me.
    12-17-2015 05:30 PM
    Try rescanning your fingerprints with the case on. I did that on my T-Mobile version and now it works pretty well if I just use the tip of my finger.

Supposedly an update was pushed on ATT that also helped but haven't seen that on T-Mobile yet and both T-Mobile and LG just ignore the question on Twitter.
    Well I deleted all of my fingerprints and attempted to redo them with the case in but was successful once. That took nearly half an hour to complete. 1 scan. Even after I scanned my finger,the sensor still only works around5% if the time. I've just decided to stop using the sensor. Kind of sucks as the Fingerprint sensor was a major selling point in this phone.
    12-17-2015 05:55 PM
    You are holding the phone just differently enough with the case on that you should re-train the FPS.

And you might want to do it again a couple of weeks later, as you settle into how you hold the phone even more.

This whole "FPS doesn't work with a case on" is pure bunk. It works 100% of the time for me.
    Yea I don't know. Maybe it's bunk for you, but 95% of the time the sensor doesn't work while in the case.
    12-17-2015 05:56 PM

There's nothing bunk about it. It is an issue. It may not be every case or every phone but there is something going on.
    12-17-2015 06:04 PM
    There's nothing bunk about it. It is an issue. It may not be every case or every phone but there is something going on.
    Yes. I agree 100%. My fingerprint sensor worked pretty solidly before I Got the case.
    12-17-2015 06:37 PM
    Yes. I agree 100%. My fingerprint sensor worked pretty solidly before I Got the case.
    Yep, mine to. Without the case, it's nearly flawless.
    12-17-2015 06:44 PM
    nope. My Spigen case completely covers the back and the sides. My body never touches the metal edges, and yet my FPS unlocks the phone 100% of the time.

It took me a couple of weeks to teach myself how to use the FPS, for sure. For example, I initially struggled with the FPS when I first got the phone; I couldn't really get it to work much at all. I didn't know how to use it. It was also a matter of my learning how to hold the phone, and how to use the buttons on the back--something that is NOT intuitable. It must be learned.

And then I did re-train it after I got the case.

So I went from no case and the FPS barely working, to a case and the FPS working 100% of the time. There's not "something going on" from a technical standpoint; it's a matter of training and experience.

The phone isn't even two months old yet. There isn't a big body of people experienced with using it.
    12-17-2015 08:47 PM
    nope. My Spigen case completely covers the back and the sides. My body never touches the metal edges, and yet my FPS unlocks the phone 100% of the time.

It took me a couple of weeks to teach myself how to use the FPS, for sure. For example, I initially struggled with the FPS when I first got the phone; I couldn't really get it to work much at all. I didn't know how to use it. It was also a matter of my learning how to hold the phone, and how to use the buttons on the back--something that is NOT intuitable. It must be learned.

And then I did re-train it after I got the case.

So I went from no case and the FPS barely working, to a case and the FPS working 100% of the time. There's not "something going on" from a technical standpoint; it's a matter of training and experience.

The phone isn't even two months old yet. There isn't a big body of people experienced with using it.
    Just because yours is working doesn't mean that every phone and every case are working perfectly in regards to the FPS.

I don't need to 'train' myself how to use the back buttons or how to hold the phone. I had a G3 and G4 so I'm well versed in the back buttons.

If I take the case off, the FPS works nearly flawlessly. Case on, same finger placement, no dice. I have to use my fingertip and the FPS works fine.

Just because you are having luck with your phone doesn't mean you can discount the issue.
    12-17-2015 09:04 PM
    I'm not having "luck" with my phone. It Just Works--case or no case.

I bet I would have just as much "luck" with your phone, with your case on it, as I do with mine.

If a carrier is pushing out updates to "fix" this, then it could only be because their carrierware broke it in the first place--and others without their carrierware don't suffer the same problems.
    12-17-2015 09:37 PM
    I'm not having "luck" with my phone. It Just Works--case or no case.

I bet I would have just as much "luck" with your phone, with your case on it, as I do with mine.

If a carrier is pushing out updates to "fix" this, then it could only be because their carrierware broke it in the first place--and others without their carrierware don't suffer the same problems.
    Is it possible that you had the update that fixed the Fingerprint sensor issue? I'm on T-Mobile and probably won't see an update for awhile.

I've tried with zero success to get the sensor to work with a case. I don't care how much training I do for this sensor to work, it will not.
    12-17-2015 09:54 PM
    Yes, I'm sure you just have the magic touch and can make every V10 FPS work perfectly. All the people on here, Reddit, XDA and other sites having FPS problems must just not know how to use their phone.

Not every carrier pushes at the same time. LG could push the update to all carriers for approval and they could approve at vastly different times.
    12-17-2015 09:57 PM
    Really hoping the V10 gets some Circle Cases and Circle Apps like the G3 & G4
    12-17-2015 11:48 PM
    Is it possible that you had the update that fixed the Fingerprint sensor issue? I'm on T-Mobile and probably won't see an update for awhile.

I've tried with zero success to get the sensor to work with a case. I don't care how much training I do for this sensor to work, it will not.
    T-Mobile here, so no.
    12-18-2015 04:34 AM
    I have no fingerprint issues - I have a naked phone.

The 3 guys in my office who have the V10 also have cases, 2 of them are the same, one a different case. All at the same time, they cleared the fingerprint security and reset their fingerprints with the cases on.

Two of the phones work (almost) perfectly - yet, they do not have the same case.

One of the phones works better - but it is not as good as the other two.

Our next test will be to slightly turn and twist his finger for different angles as he resets the fingerprint sensor again. I'll let you know how that works out.
    12-18-2015 12:15 PM
    I had the same problem and FOUND OUT WHY! The V10 was designed to require 2 things to happen at the same time for the fingerprint sensor to work. You must be touching the power button with your fingertip AND holding a metal edge of the phone AT THE SAME TIME or the sensor ignores the finger. This prevents the phone from unlocking unless it's IN YOUR HAND (like touching it in your pocket accidentally). Unfortunately most cases cover the metal sides of the phone, but not all do. That's why some people are having this issue, but others are not. Some cases are also just conductive enough to allow an electrical "ground" to the sides when holding it. It has nothing to do with how your finger print was "learned". It has to do with the metal edges of the phone being covered. If you simply notch a piece of the case side in a location where your hand can contact the phone's frame, it will work fine. I have found with my case, all i have to do is put my thumb on the side of the screen, and it JUST makes enough contact with the side rail that it will unlock. I do hope LG releases a software fix that will allow us to turn off the "necessary to touch the frame" feature. Hope this helps someone out there.
    12-19-2015 03:46 PM
    I had the same problem and FOUND OUT WHY! The V10 was designed to require 2 things to happen at the same time for the fingerprint sensor to work. You must be touching the power button with your fingertip AND holding a metal edge of the phone AT THE SAME TIME or the sensor ignores the finger. This prevents the phone from unlocking unless it's IN YOUR HAND (like touching it in your pocket accidentally). Unfortunately most cases cover the metal sides of the phone, but not all do. That's why some people are having this issue, but others are not. Some cases are also just conductive enough to allow an electrical "ground" to the sides when holding it. It has nothing to do with how your finger print was "learned". It has to do with the metal edges of the phone being covered. If you simply notch a piece of the case side in a location where your hand can contact the phone's frame, it will work fine. I have found with my case, all i have to do is put my thumb on the side of the screen, and it JUST makes enough contact with the side rail that it will unlock. I do hope LG releases a software fix that will allow us to turn off the "necessary to touch the frame" feature. Hope this helps someone out there.
    You don't read much here, do you.

My plastic case is not conductive--and my FPS works 100% of the time.

And no, I'm not touching the screen at all.

The internet does nothing but spread random voodoo, I swear.
    12-19-2015 07:56 PM
    You don't read much here, do you.

My plastic case is not conductive--and my FPS works 100% of the time.

And no, I'm not touching the screen at all.

The internet does nothing but spread random voodoo, I swear.
    And I suppose you saying there is no issue and claiming everyone just doesn't know how to use their phone is any better?
    12-19-2015 08:31 PM
    It's a datum point, and not "I heard it somewhere" voodoo.

I guarantee, I could make any V10 FPS work just fine--case or no.
    12-19-2015 08:40 PM
    It's a datum point, and not "I heard it somewhere" voodoo.

I guarantee, I could make any V10 FPS work just fine--case or no.
    Why don't you prove it's not voodoo? It's been talked about here, Reddit, XDA, that there might be a grounding issue.

I can make mine work with the case but it requires using just my fingertip. I can't rest my finger across the FPS like I can without the case on because my finger is touching the case while it's on the FPS. If my finger isn't touching the case, like when I'm just using my fingertip, the FPS works mostly fine.
    12-19-2015 08:58 PM
    Why don't you prove it's not voodoo? It's been talked about here, Reddit, XDA, that there might be a grounding issue.

I can make mine work with the case but it requires using just my fingertip. I can't rest my finger across the FPS like I can without the case on because my finger is touching the case while it's on the FPS. If my finger isn't touching the case, like when I'm just using my fingertip, the FPS works mostly fine.
    It's being talked about because...it's being talked about. Nothing more. Voodoo reinforcing voodoo.

If the screen is on, then yes, you'll see better results with just the top of your fingertip and not the whole fingertip. You'll also see better results tapping the face of your fingertip on the button instead of placing or sliding it.

If the screen is off, press firmly and hold the power button for a beat or two.

I had less luck when I first got the phone and it had no case, than after I'd had it awhile and had a case on it.
    12-19-2015 10:11 PM
    It's being talked about because...it's being talked about. Nothing more. Voodoo reinforcing voodoo.

If the screen is on, then yes, you'll see better results with just the top of your fingertip and not the whole fingertip. You'll also see better results tapping the face of your fingertip on the button instead of placing or sliding it.

If the screen is off, press firmly and hold the power button for a beat or two.

I had less luck when I first got the phone and it had no case, than after I'd had it awhile and had a case on it.
    The only voodoo is someone claiming they have magic fingers that can make any phone FPS work perfectly.

Where my index finger naturally rests to use the FPS works perfectly with no case. With case on, that doesn't work, even with the same part of my finger touching the FPS. I have to use just my fingertip. The difference is whether my finger is touching the case.
    12-19-2015 10:48 PM
    The only voodoo is someone claiming they have magic fingers that can make any phone FPS work perfectly.

Where my index finger naturally rests to use the FPS works perfectly with no case. With case on, that doesn't work, even with the same part of my finger touching the FPS. I have to use just my fingertip. The difference is whether my finger is touching the case.
    None of that worked for me at all, ever, with no case.

Regardless, my statement stands: I can make any V10 (not "any phone") FPS work just fine, case or no case.

I bet the FPS simply works differently, and people aren't used to that. Me, I never had a FPS to begin with--so I poked around until I learned how it worked.
    12-20-2015 12:35 AM
    I side with Adam on this ... although I understand how is tone in type is a little snide to those who can't get it to work for them as well as he's been able to do it for himself.

Including me, there are four people in my office with the V10, two of them are in our Technical Support team and one is an IT Network guy, then there's the office ***** - and that would be me.

I run a naked phone and they all have cases. It wasn't until they kept re-fingering the set-up using a variety of angles and positions that they got it to work very ... VERY well. I've never had an issue from the start, but then I always set up my fingerprint scanner in a haphazard, twisted-finger kind of way so it'll read my print regardless of the angle I'm presenting.

I hope this read is more helpful and doesn't come across as argumentative.
    huntnyc likes this.
    12-20-2015 02:55 PM
36 12