I'm considering buying the LG v10 or Note 4 instead of the Samsung Note 5.

Which phone to buy?

• Total voters

Joachimi

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have both, and have had almost every iteration of LG, S series, and note series. IMHO, Note 5 64gb and is not even close. The only time I take my v10 is when I'm testing or reviewing something specifically on that device. Don't get me wrong is a spectacular device. I feel if your someone that doesn't like to tinker or isn't cell phone savy, the v10 performs better with very little modification. If you are a tinker person or have a bit of know how, the note 5 has a greater potential and can surpass the not a whole lot of work. That being said, if the removable battery, IR blaster, or 64gb local storage isn't sufficient, then there's no decision lol. The only thing I miss on the note 5 is the IR. Good I love the IR.

Posted via the Android Central App

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a note 4....purchased a v10 at launch. Very happy with this device. No lag the way my note 4 had!

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I have both, and have had almost every iteration of LG, S series, and note series. IMHO, Note 5 64gb and is not even close. The only time I take my v10 is when I'm testing or reviewing something specifically on that device. Don't get me wrong is a spectacular device. I feel if your someone that doesn't like to tinker or isn't cell phone savy, the v10 performs better with very little modification. If you are a tinker person or have a bit of know how, the note 5 has a greater potential and can surpass the not a whole lot of work. That being said, if the removable battery, IR blaster, or 64gb local storage isn't sufficient, then there's no decision lol. The only thing I miss on the note 5 is the IR. Good I love the IR.

The electronic savy tinkers at xda love the v10. There are so many things you can tinker with on it

cane929

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I am switching from an almost 4 year old Verizon iphone 5 to a Note 5 "64GB", the lack of removable battery and SD card doesn't bother me personally since I never had either of these features. I have to say I was very impressed and almost got the LG v10, love the second small screen, the Note 5 won me over with the SPen by a small margin, I would say go with the V10, its a great phone, they are all great phones though.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a note 4....purchased a v10 at launch. Very happy with this device. No lag the way my note 4 had!

I noticed in the store how snappy it is. I have a gear 2 so will probably go Samsung but v10 is really nice if you don't mind the size. The ir blaster is something I would really miss so I do feel a pull from v10 just to keep that feature.

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I was at the Verizon Store today checking out the phones as I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon next week.

I was looking at the LG v10, & Droid Turbo 2. I want to drop Samsung as the Note 5 don't have the removable battery or SD.

The store manager said he still keeps his Note 4 for that reason (pulled his Note 4 out of his pocket as proof) and that phone will hold it's own with the above mentioned phones. They still sell the Note 4 but dropped the Note Edge which is actually a newer phone than the Note 4.

However, my problem is if I switch brands, I will have to sell my Gear S smartwatch as it only works with Samsung phones.
... What to do... what to do???

Last edited:

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Note 3, before that a GS3, before that a GS2 Skyrocket, before that several iphones. I was a bit of a Samsung fanboy after leaving Apple! This v10 is by far my favorite phone I've ever owned. I tried GS6 Edge+ and Note 5 before i decided on v10. I like the feel of the phone in my hand, sd support, removable battery, and the amazing sound quality from the headphone jack. Battery life is truly amazing for me. I get home from work after 9 hours and my battery is still over 60%. My only complaint would be that I can't root the phone to eliminate the AT&T crapware yet, which has nothing to do with the phone really.

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I had the note 2 then 4. Been a verizon customer since 1992. Both of these phones were awesome. What a dumb move for Samsung to eliminate the removable battery and sd. I wrote an article on the v10 listed in these forums. I've got it and actually like it quite a bit better than the note 4. Buy the way, had samsung kept the removable battery and sd slot, I'd be writing this from a note 5 instead of the v10.

I may reconsider not getting a Samsung! I just saw online where the new Samsung Galaxy S6+ that is coming out in March will have the micro sd support.

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I may reconsider not getting a Samsung! I just saw online where the new Samsung Galaxy S6+ that is coming out in March will have the micro sd support.
s7edge_5.jpg

Looks like Samsung listened this time. There were a LOT of unhappy longtime Samsung owners like me that was going to jump ship and go for anther brand, because of no Micro SD support... in my case, I was going to get the LG v10. Still wish they would have a removable battery, but that isn't a deal killer, no micro SD was.
s7edge_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I was at the Verizon Store today checking out the phones as I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon next week.

I was looking at the LG v10, & Droid Turbo 2. I want to drop Samsung as the Note 5 don't have the removable battery or SD.

The store manager said he still keeps his Note 4 for that reason (pulled his Note 4 out of his pocket as proof) and that phone will hold it's own with the above mentioned phones. They still sell the Note 4 but dropped the Note Edge which is actually a newer phone than the Note 4.
The Verizon Store I mentioned above is the largest one in Tacoma, WA which is the 3rd largest city in the state. As I mentioned that manager was still using the Note 4. I also went to the Verizon center at Costco's and that manager there also was still using the Note 4, not the Note 5 or newer phones. A month ago, I was at the Tacoma Mall at the Best buy store where they sell all the phones with all the carriers and guess what, that manager also still uses the Note 4! That says a lot about how good the Note 4 is even though it is a year and half old now.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Its called forced obsolescence. Cell phones are designed to maximize profitability for the manufacturers and providers, with forced obsolescence. Handsets are not designed for end user convenience, frugality, practicality or longevity. They have successfully marketed many choice-defeating elements as enhancements, but don't be fooled. They are definitely not designed to give the end user/consumer freedom of choice. Any feature that puts the end user in control of his/her financial choices is a feature that they want to do away with. They want us to throw away a perfectly good/reliable handset every 18-20 months. They want us to pay premiums for cloud storage and the high-G data plans necessary to support it. They want to convince us that glass-backed handset cases are so pretty that its worth the durability penalty. So phones like those in consideration made of durable rubber-ized plastic, with expandable SD cards and replaceable batteries go against the designer/providers $$$ grubbing philosophy.

I was in a similar boat, although without a smart watch. Eventually the V10 was my choice, because it gives me choices.

Last edited:

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the Note Edge, I loved the side panel, a lot more useful than the S6 Edge panel. I had the Note 4 Edge for over a year, and that is a record for me. I would have went with the Note 5 if it wasn't for no changeable battery. (With the 64GB version I could have lived without the card.) But I use the heck out of my phone, and drain the battery within 12 hours. Fast charge means I have to be near an outlet during the day. And no, I DO NOT GIMP MY PHONE to make it last longer. I like full bright, bluetooth and WiFi are on 24/7. I scan for email every hours, and my work email is set to push. I'd rather just go in my wallet and pull out the spare in the middle of the afternoon and change the battery, then to carry a cord, and a plug around with me. I do have a 30,000mAh ZeroLemon power pack, but that thing is heavy, but it will fast charge your phone. If the screen and the S-Pen is important, go with the Note 4, otherwise, why invest it a phone over a year old?

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
V10 for sure! From Note4 tho V10 and not a regret to be seen. You'll regret Verizon but I switched from them to T-Mobile and love the unlimited data!
What's your beef with Verizon? I need the coverage as I'm a wildlife & nature photographer and I'm in the mountains a lot with no connections with AT&T. I need to be in contact with my clients and my aging Mom.

dragonking37

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Verizon taking unlimited data away from me and my family. Charging way too much for service I'm getting from T-Mobile for way less. Other than that I'll agree they have great coverage but T-Mobile is catching up and not gouging their customers.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm also considering moving away from the Note line. LG is a contender. The one thing that stops me is the S Pen. I love it and don't want to carry around a stylus. What comparable options does the LG offer? Any cases that would hold a pen/stylus?

However, my problem is if I switch brands, I will have to sell my Gear S smartwatch as it only works with Samsung phones.
... What to do... what to do???

I thought the Gear S2 was compatible with at least some non-Samsung phones?

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Gear S is different... works only with Samsung phones. Has something to do with being used as a stand alone phone setup which I don't use.

I'm also considering moving away from the Note line. LG is a contender. The one thing that stops me is the S Pen. I love it and don't want to carry around a stylus. What comparable options does the LG offer? Any cases that would hold a pen/stylus?
LG just announced one that has a stylus and micro sd support! Don't know if it's coming to USA though.
LG G4 Stylus 3G with 5.7″ HD Display & 3000mAh Battery Launched in India
LG G4 Stylus 3G with 5.7" HD Display & 3000mAh Battery Launched in India at Rs. 19,000 - Android Advices

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

The Gear S2 works just fine. It just depends on what you want to do. It works with the V10 for everything I want. It is so much better than the android wear watches that are out. I tried several of them before settling on the Gear S2.

william63

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
The Gear S2 works just fine. It just depends on what you want to do. It works with the V10 for everything I want. It is so much better than the android wear watches that are out. I tried several of them before settling on the Gear S2.
I'm told the Gear S won't though buy several cell phone stores.