did you switch from a Note 5? regrets? are you happy?

tonyron227

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I did and I'm very happy except that I miss the S pen sometimes when I need a notepad...lol.
The V10 does everything else as well as or better than the Note 5.
Battery life is exceptional at times. Other times it sucks when some apps seem to drain the battery in the background. I keep an eye on this and I have no problem with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I switched. No regrets at all. Battery life is meh but spare batteries and quick charging makes up for that. Sound quality is much better, display about the same and build quality is rugged and premium.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Well... that doesn't seem convincing

It kinda sells itself.. It does everything the note 5 does minus the spen. Plus you have removable battery, SD card, DAC audio for headphones, hella good camera, and IR blaster..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It kinda sells itself.. It does everything the note 5 does minus the spen. Plus you have removable battery, SD card, DAC audio for headphones, hella good camera, and IR blaster..

I can get some people wanting a removable battery and SD card (depending on their needs / data plan) but for me at least.. I've never used the IR blaster on a phone unless I was just testing. When at home the boxes / TVs come with the remote and I go for the before my phone + app.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I've had 4 Note 5 replacements which opened a small window, Verizon is giving me an option to swap device type. After reading many reviews, watching every available V10 video review, and playing with one at Verizon i decided to take the plunge.

I will admit however i am little worried I am making a mistake, even though my time with the V10 at the store would provde otherwise. My major worry is UI performance, the G3 i had was really janky in comparison to my Note 5.

What pushed me was the design, Iam not going to use a case which with the note 5 would be a risky choice. Additionally the IR blaster and SD card expansion really swayed me as I was spoiled with the Note 4 (aside from the N4's UI performance). Every review mentioned the negatives were size, weight, and battery which will all be non-issues for me.

Any advice for a new to be V10 owner? Should i be concered about UI performance?

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 5 to LG V10

thats interesting, I love the Note's display. Definitley not one of the reasons for the switch

It's one of the reasons. Having expandable storage, replaceable battery, and better music quality are just a few. Also like the feel vs note.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Really? I think i am going to go naked. Is there a reason you suggest a case?

It's protecting your investment. If and when u do move on hard to sell a phone with dings or scratches

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I am not missing my note 5 at all since I gave it to my wife to use.

This phone is awesome. Both screens are really great, the camera is better, and hook it up with a good set of ear buds or cans and nothing else comes close.

Battery life is not as good as as the note but we don't have a package disabler for it but I can make it completely through the day without charging.

I've always put some type of case on my phone, with the exception of my s6 Active that I gave my son in July and now the v10. On my note 5, I was sweating bullets each and every time I had to use it naked.

Now the spen is really cool, and if you use it everyday there's nothing better, but I didn't really need it for day to day usage.

Now the only gripe I have is the external speaker isn't loud enough, but I manage to get by with out missing calls or text with it.

The note is a good phone, once you have it set up right, but head to head in real world usage the v10 is a better device. It can take more drops and bumps, it sounds better listening to music and video when used with buds or cans, it takes better pictures and you don't have to worry about storage or battery degradation with it.

A couple other things .. I wear mine in a holster for work and had my note shut down by hitting the power button all the time, that doesn't happen with the v10.

I don't have to turn the phone on to see the time with the second screen.. That is a blessing since I don't wear a watch. If I do turn it on it's by double tapping it on and off which once you get used to you won't be satisfied using the power button anymore.

I've had many of the note series and they are excellent phones, but LG surpassed them with this phone IMHO not only because of the SD card and the removable battery, but because of the build quality of the v10 internally and externally.

That doesn't make the note 5 a loser but makes the v10 a winner and moves it into the elite group of phones to buy.

If you are worried about buying one, because it isn't a Samsung, don't. I have compared both side by side and don't regret my decision on getting mine. It does more for my day to day usage than the note could ever do.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I am not missing my note 5 at all since I gave it to my wife to use.

This phone is awesome. Both screens are really great, the camera is better, and hook it up with a good set of ear buds or cans and nothing else comes close.

Battery life is not as good as as the note but we don't have a package disabler for it but I can make it completely through the day without charging.

I've always put some type of case on my phone, with the exception of my s6 Active that I gave my son in July and now the v10. On my note 5, I was sweating bullets each and every time I had to use it naked.

Now the spen is really cool, and if you use it everyday there's nothing better, but I didn't really need it for day to day usage.

Now the only gripe I have is the external speaker isn't loud enough, but I manage to get by with out missing calls or text with it.

The note is a good phone, once you have it set up right, but head to head in real world usage the v10 is a better device. It can take more drops and bumps, it sounds better listening to music and video when used with buds or cans, it takes better pictures and you don't have to worry about storage or battery degradation with it.

A couple other things .. I wear mine in a holster for work and had my note shut down by hitting the power button all the time, that doesn't happen with the v10.

I don't have to turn the phone on to see the time with the second screen.. That is a blessing since I don't wear a watch. If I do turn it on it's by double tapping it on and off which once you get used to you won't be satisfied using the power button anymore.

I've had many of the note series and they are excellent phones, but LG surpassed them with this phone IMHO not only because of the SD card and the removable battery, but because of the build quality of the v10 internally and externally.

That doesn't make the note 5 a loser but makes the v10 a winner and moves it into the elite group of phones to buy.

If you are worried about buying one, because it isn't a Samsung, don't. I have compared both side by side and don't regret my decision on getting mine. It does more for my day to day usage than the note could ever do.

I've been a long time note fan ironically for the features that are now really only present in the V10. My main concern was (cliche as it is) the SD 808 and overall UI performance. I use Nova Prime with all devices but generally give the stock launcher a chance. I typically dont play highly graphic intensive games but that doesnt mean I dont want my device to have the ability to play these sorts of games flawlessly in the event that i do want to use it for that purpose.

My Note was flawless in this regard however I believe the exclusion of a removable battery, SDcard expansions, and the IR blaster really turned me off. The reason i love android so much isnt just software custimizations but also hardware. The V10 seems to have all the features that are important to a user such as myself and if the UI is as fluid as my Note 5 I am going to be a happy camper to say the least.

Only problem now is that it was delivered this morning and i'm stuck at work :)

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I prefer the v10 screen to the note 5 screen as well. It is much easier on my eyes.

While the notes amoled screen appeals to many because of it's vivid colors, I am more about seeing the accurate color representation that the v10 gives me.

A glass back phone is a accident waiting to happen, and I was sweating bullets until I got a case on it. That phone is slick as snot and the v10 isn't. I have mine naked and use a leather Pdair horizontal holster to carry it in at work and play for protection, and in my suit coat inner chest pocket the other times.

Getting one of these phones will be a change over everything else, but I can give you some advice.

First.. Don't worry about the battery life for the first week. It takes at least this long for it to settle in. I was freaking out a bit my first week, but after charging it normally for a week my stats have gone up noticeable and still are getting better.

Check out the threads over on xda and find out how to be able to theme your phone. Everyone but t-mobile has killed being able to and with their help everyone can now.

Go to the play store and get Dac fix app, it works great and then Doze.. Both are excellent and work great.

If you use Nova like I do.. Get screen on and off from the Play store. You won't loose the double tap on and off and it will work normally.

Plan on buying some good ear buds or cans to use with it. I got a set of the Samsung edition of the Sensihimer when I had my Note 5 and you just have to hear how good they are with this phone.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I can get some people wanting a removable battery and SD card (depending on their needs / data plan) but for me at least.. I've never used the IR blaster on a phone unless I was just testing. When at home the boxes / TVs come with the remote and I go for the before my phone + app.

Thats why android is the T& the A, options. I was so spoiled with the IR blaster in previous devices that having a device without one was a serious loss. It controlled my TV, Cable box, and most importantly my sound bar. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten up from the couch to adjust the volume on my sound bar when previously it was a 5 second on the couch operation. I much prefer this feature over having 3 remotes to carry to my resting location. Not to mention having a toddler and a 2 month old increases the amount of time i change the volume by atleast a 1000%

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't really help aliviate your fears of being able to play graphic intensive games on your phone because it is something that I don't do. I have computers and game consoles for doing this and wouldn't use this type of device for a substitute. If it's something that you don't normally do then I would not worry about it.

The stock UI is usable just as TW is on the note but I have answered your questions on your other thread on what to get from the play store to make it work great for Nova prime.

I will say that this phone doesn't lag like the note does and that is without closing all the screens too. I still do out of habit but you will find out just how much better this phone is as compared to the notes..

It will take you a couple weeks to get use to it. If you haven't used it's rear buttons before especially the volume buttons, but I have found that I set it to a normal level and leave it unless I have to lower it.

Learn more about the camera and how to use the manual controls.. You'll be amazed at the quality of photos you can take. Night and day difference between the two.