01-12-2016 02:24 PM
36 12
tools
    Hey all,

I REALLY want to get the LG V10.... My dilemma is trying to figure out whether or not:

a) The v10 is an excellent, top of the line Android phone that happens to also have an awesome new feature to enhance the already great phone.....

Or,

b) The v10 is a sub-par, nothing special Android phone that tacked on a second screen as a gimmick to help is sell, when the phone without said screen wouldn't really sell.

My other question is.... I multi-task like a mad man, and am always flipping back and forth between several apps at the same time. Will second screen be a welcomed, helpful additional features to help me with my multitasking mayhem...

I'm coming from an s5, s6 and Droid turbo...

Thanks!
    01-01-2016 07:27 PM
    It's A.. Not B..

I had the Note 5.. gave it to my wife.. Before that I had the S6 Active.. gave that to my son..

While both were excellent phones neither of them are as nice as my v10.. and no the second screen isn't a gimmicky thing at all.

The camera is better than any other smartphone.. and the sound quality is too IMHO.

The only complaint I have is the speaker volume and that really is a minor complaint.

I switch through several screens and have no issues..

Buy it.. You'll be glad you did
    KillerQ and huntnyc like this.
    01-01-2016 07:37 PM
    I don't think it's an awesome phone. Camera is great I will say that.
    KillerQ likes this.
    01-01-2016 07:49 PM
    I wrote an article last week. Im coming from a galaxy note 4, and s6 edge. The v10 is an awesome phone. Its fast, has expandable storage and swappable battery even though my battery gets me through a full day. It handles apps smoother than the samsungs. I never thought I'd say that. But true. The 2nd screen is no gimmick, but a useful tool. Go test drive one. That's what I did. Im a v10 fan now.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ntchwaidumela, KillerQ and huntnyc like this.
    01-01-2016 07:53 PM
    Smoother than a Note 5 doe???

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-01-2016 08:44 PM
    Well, it's most certainly NOT b.

But please, do a little more research on the second screen before you go any further. It's not what you think it is. Find the owner's manual, hit youtube, etc.
    01-01-2016 08:49 PM
    Well, it's most certainly NOT b.

But please, do a little more research on the second screen before you go any further. It's not what you think it is. Find the owner's manual, hit youtube, etc.
    Thanks... Yes, I'm familiar with the second screen.... I am curious how convenient it is have the icons for the most recently used apps always available in the second screen....

Thanks again!
    01-01-2016 08:57 PM
    You know, I never think about it. That's my fault. Of course, I do use the little square icon on the bottom to pull up my last windows/apps. There's always another way to do things.

Frankly, I never use the second screen. I have it set up, but I never use it. They say it replaces a blinking light with a better notification indicator, and maybe it does, but I don't care about notifications--I don't let my phone run my life for me. If I had a notification LED, I'd just turn it off.
    KillerQ likes this.
    01-01-2016 10:11 PM
    Definitely A. The phone is on par with just about anything else out there right now.

I like the second display. I think I would feel like something was missing without it. I don't really use it for shortcuts, but I love how the notifications work. I thought I would miss a notification light, but the screen is very good for letting you know not only that you have a notification, but from what app.

kixfan likes this.
    01-02-2016 03:44 AM
    Huh. I don't see it. If you're staring at the phone you'll see things scroll across the top screen, but other than that it really isn't all that great at showing a bunch of information--all the worse because of how dim it is when the main screen is off.
    01-02-2016 08:29 AM
    The V10 is a very nice phone, certainly not middling. However, all of the Android flagships have "issues" this year.

The V10's include: shipping with Lollipop; lack of OEM accessories (EBay and Amazon scalpers, don't count); Using the 808 when the 810 has largely been sorted; poor battery life; and some "light bleed".

Even with its " issues", I do enjoy the V10 a great deal and reach for it before my Nexus 6 nearly all the time.

01-02-2016 09:23 AM
    I was considering this phone, main thing keeping me away are onscreen buttons, I hate then.

Charles Collins likes this.
    01-02-2016 09:29 AM
    If judged only on the second screen, then it is a work in progress. While useful, it can be much more. I think much of the functionality is in the hidden menus that they should develop quickly.

Otherwise it fits into the category of a very good/excellent phone. The best I have had to date.

Posted from my LG V10
    01-02-2016 12:48 PM
    If judged only on the second screen, then it is a work in progress. While useful, it can be much more. I think much of the functionality is in the hidden menus that they should develop quickly.

Otherwise it fits into the category of a very good/excellent phone. The best I have had to date.

Posted from my LG V10
    What he said..

01-02-2016 01:15 PM
    It's not a bad phone
    01-02-2016 03:52 PM
    I concur, I do like Sammy's route where 5.7" is truly 5.7" of screen.

01-02-2016 05:36 PM
    What he said..

What he said about what he said
    01-02-2016 06:42 PM
    I was thinking about the second screen as well. I found it gimmicky on the end. I can access my apps much easier on the home screen in folders then reaching for the second screen
    01-02-2016 08:55 PM
    That's what I've done.
    01-02-2016 09:14 PM
    I like the second screen.. I like when the notifications come in. I don't really use it for recently opened apps.

Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    01-02-2016 10:21 PM
    I think that its a good phone. I can't compare it to many new devices of same category but I do like it.
    01-03-2016 08:50 AM
    Im coming from a galaxy note 2, then 4,and s6 edge. The note 4 is my all time favorite. Im going to keep it. With this being said, it will be my backup phone. I did a side by side comparison with the 4 and v10. The v10 was just as fast. True they picked the 808 and with good reason. The 810 was very problematic at the time. There were globs of overheating issues with many devices. But by giving the v10 4 gigs of ram backing up the 808, the phone is fast and smooth. Also, im having great luck with battery life. Im a moderate to heavy user. When moderate, I usually have about 30-35% left at bedtime when I plug in. When ive had a heavy day, i can still make it to bedtime, but only about 10%remaining. Ive never had to juice it up during the day. I do agree that it should have run marshmallow out of the box though . As for the second screen, i love it. Its a very useful tool for me. When i get a message, a quick glance tells me where its coming from. Listening to music, I can control the music player right from the second screen. All without having to power up the big screen. And lets not forget the 64gb of on board storage BACKED UP BY A MICRO SD CARD. And if necessary, a swappable battery.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-03-2016 09:33 AM
    The V10 is a fantastic with the extra battery and cradle. Without it its absolutely not worth it cause battery life really isn't good to say the least.

01-03-2016 09:45 AM
    The LG V10 is very good. In some ways, it's better than the Note 5, and in other ways, it's worse.

In favor of the Samsung Note 5 - better battery life with more screen-on time; S-Pen; brighter screen; smaller less-bulky body; hardware buttons, giving you full access to all screen space (LG V10 navigation buttons use screen space, though there is an option to auto-hide them for different application); Touchwiz UI skin is slightly better than LG UI (this is subjective); slightly better camera image quality (again, subjective)

In favor of the LG V10 - Second screen with notifications (also serves as mode selector for camera); doesn't have the aggressive memory management issues that the Note 5 has (this is a pretty critical difference); LG V10 doesn't slow down over time like the Note 5 seems to; better camera application; manual video controls; better audio output via headphones; better overall stability than Note 5 (at least based on my own observations); rugged body construction; removable battery; ability to add a micro-SD card for extra storage

There is also one other difference that doesn't get much discussion - text is smaller on the Note 5 screen, whereas on the V10, it's larger. Some positives for each approach - you see less on the screen at one time on the LG V10, but the text is larger and easier to read. For the Note 5, the text is smaller, making it harder to read, but allowing you to see more at one time. This is very subjective, but I prefer the LG V10 in this area. Others may prefer the way the Note 5 handles in this regard.

LG V10 tip - Go to Settings > Display > Home touch buttons > Hide Home touch buttons. Here, you can select the applications where the home buttons will auto-hide themselves, so that the entire screen is allocated to the application itself.
    huntnyc and mbryanr like this.
    01-03-2016 10:45 AM
    I don't own the V10 yet, I will probably within the next couple week. I am coming from the Note Edge. It has a very useful (to me and the almost 8,000 users on my facebook group.) 2nd panel. And not like the S6 Edge. I broke my Edge and the insurance company is just going to send me a check to cover a new one. I decided on the V10 based on reviews. Several things that reviewers seem to neglect. Like battery time. The Note 5 last longer. True, but with it's non-replaceable battery, it now takes an hour or two to charge back to full. Whereas the V10, I will be able to change the battery in a mere minute or two if I have gloves on. Second is the dumb benchmarks. Give me a break, if the Note 5 failed, I would be surprised and probably pass out in disbelief!! I mean t has a 8 core processor compaired to V10's 6 core. In my opinion, 8 will always top 6. Camera seems to be almost the same, but the software in the LG has more controls. I can't wait to pick up this beast!!
    01-03-2016 09:09 PM
36 12