new LG V10 user, PLEASE HELP

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi guys! thank you so much for listening. i will try and be brief. i came from an HTC ONE M7 (my first android), with a two week trial of the BLACKBERRY PRIV (missed the physical keyboard) before landing on this phone. i went in to the store thinking i would finally resign and go iphone but i wish to remain android. i have only had this phone for a day but there are three issues i am confused or concerned about...

1. can you disable the shutter sound on the camera? i did not see that option. but i do want to keep the stock camera as it has a lot of cool features...

2. is there any meaningful way to back up an android device if you live in an apple world? all of my computers have and will be apple. and setting up now my 3rd android this is becoming a major concern. i believe a lost iphone is easily replaced. i have not had an easy time getting old content on these new phones. please advise what app or method to use...

3. on my previous androids i used SOUND PROFILE PRO to replicate the old blackberry sound profile experience. i noticed on this LG that there is a whole "interruptions" situation. i have no idea what this means or how it works. and research in other forums last night did not help. i selected my "sleep" profile before bed and got notifications that there would be no interruptions and an icon appeared that showed the phone in vibrate mode which i have NOT selected in SOUND PROFILE. please recommend any sound profile apps or explain how to set the notifications and interruptions. i may be strange, but i want my phone to be able to ring at night but my texts and emails to be silent. on that note i may be having gmail sync issues but its only been a day...

Screenshot_2016-02-17-22-33-47.jpg

Screenshot_2016-02-17-22-34-17.jpg

thank you!!!

Last edited:

wcharon

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: new LG V10 user questions and concerns

Hi... I used to have in my Samsung Android 4.2.2 which use to have the Picture Frame Widget which i liked. Is their a way to get it for the V10 Android 5.5.1?

Also, what are the icons and functionalities people are adding to the Home Touch Menu Butons like the Arrow Down with Circle, etc.?

Thanks in advance...

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Hi... I used to have in my Samsung Android 4.2.2 which use to have the Picture Frame Widget which i liked. Is their a way to get it for the V10 Android 5.5.1?

Also, what are the icons and functionalities people are adding to the Home Touch Menu Butons like the Arrow Down with Circle, etc.?

Thanks in advance...

I added the screen capture button to my home buttons and re arranged them

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 17002.jpg
    17002.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 152

jhickin

May 27, 2015
Visit site

1. I haven't found a setting that specifically disables the shutter sound, but if you turn the ringer all the way down, the shutter sound is no longer audible.
2. I root my phones, so my backup options might differ from yours. With root, you can use Titanium Backup. Without root, you might want to take a look at the LG Backup app included with the phone. I haven't used it, though.
3. I usually have my ringer turned down all the time, so I can't help you with sound profiles.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Use LG backup tool, and as far as the sound thing goes, I just turn off the sound when needed and so forth.

Posted via the stainless steel LG V10

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
You can't disable the camera sound without root and xposed. There's actually a law in the US requiring the shutter sound I believe

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You can't disable the camera sound without root and xposed. There's actually a law in the US requiring the shutter sound I believe

i don't know of that law in the US. i have heard that is the law in japan. my HTC ONE in the US allowed me to disable the shutter under settings. i can download a camera app to replace the built in camera. but i quite like the interface.

thank you!

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
i don't know of that law in the US. i have heard that is the law in japan. my HTC ONE in the US allowed me to disable the shutter under settings. i can download a camera app to replace the built in camera. but i quite like the interface.

thank you!

Perhaps the law never passed, I know it was proposed at some point. Anyway, LG doesn't let you disable it on the stock app

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks man.

i am relatively new to android but hate having to keep installing apps to do things that should be built in (or were at least built in to my other/first one lol).

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
BONUS QUESTIONS:

does anyone know how to put the screen to sleep without reaching around for the power button?

aaaaand, can i take a screengrab from the home screen without reaching around (awkwardly) for the power and volume buttons??

is there an app for that? i am using nova launcher if that helps or hurts...

thank you!!!

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Knock on the screen to turn it off... and you can either use the quick setting "capture+" (swipe down) or add it to your home buttons (native lg launcher)

as for camera, i've had no shutter sound if all media is on silent

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Knock on the screen to turn it off... and you can either use the quick setting "capture+" (swipe down) or add it to your home buttons (native lg launcher)

as for camera, i've had no shutter sound if all media is on silent

yeah that seems to be the only method to disable shutter sound on the stock camera app. it was built in on my HTC ONE so i assumed it was an android thing.

re: knocking. the guy at the tmobile store double tapped on his LGV10 to put the screen to sleep. but i have not been able to do so on mine yet. double tapping either does nothing, or opens the nearest app...

i looked at capture+ today. can you walk me through how to screengrab with it? i did not see that option. i'll go check google now as well.

thank you!!

wait i can add it to my home buttons?

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah that seems to be the only method to disable shutter sound on the stock camera app. it was built in on my HTC ONE so i assumed it was an android thing.

re: knocking. the guy at the tmobile store double tapped on his LGV10 to put the screen to sleep. but i have not been able to do so on mine yet. double tapping either does nothing, or opens the nearest app...

i looked at capture+ today. can you walk me through how to screengrab with it? i did not see that option. i'll go check google now as well.

thank you!!

wait i can add it to my home buttons?

just bring down the notification shade, and hit capture+ and it'll screen grab... to add to home buttons just go to settings> display> home touch buttons> button combination and add it there... works great.. but i hit it on accident so i just use the notification method

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Some launchers can be set to double-tap to turn the screen off. I use Action Launcher 3 and it has a setting to double-tap to lock the phone

anon(9803818)

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Double tap the top bar (idk what the proper term for it is, its too late-- the one that says the time and battery) to screen off.

Posted via the Android Central App

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
just bring down the notification shade, and hit capture+ and it'll screen grab... to add to home buttons just go to settings> display> home touch buttons> button combination and add it there... works great.. but i hit it on accident so i just use the notification method

perfect thank you!