What are the V10 owner's thoughts on the G5?

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Kind of glad they didn't "steal" the 2nd screen as was rumored. However, I don't like that there isn't an app drawer. Everything else on it is cool.
Yea! What's up with that? What does it accomplish? I just checked my app drawer & its 10 pages not counting widgets. Where's all that go. You can't just pile them into a shortcut-there's a limit.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I was disappointed that they moved from the back buttons, and the modules seemed a little gimmicky to me but I do like the idea of plug in hardware as long as they don't take it too far. Otherwise it's like a Gameboy with a cellular radio. I'll hold off judgment until I get a chance to play with one.

I had the G4 before the V10 and really enjoyed it, but not so sure if I would move to the next generation of the V series if they took it in the same direction. I really like this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the V10 is going to be an abandonware phone. There has not been any word about MM on our devices. There hasn't been a security update (on VZW anyway) since December.
This may not be a popular opinion, but I think the signs are there.

Don't fix something that isn't broke. Too many times, updates create problems. I don't want marshmallow. I don't want a white notification area.

Dans07SGT

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I like the G5 but it's missing some features the V10 has that I wouldn't want to be without now.
I don't see any phones coming out soon that I would think about trading my V10 for.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
One of the YT reviewers was saying the G5 does not have manual video settings... if that is true its a clear win for the V10.

I bet they did it on purpose... If you want a manual video camera, you have to buy the camera upgrade module.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Part of me wonders just how much of the function and performance did they intentionally restrict and tone down... to try and get consumers to pay more $$$ for "upgrade" modules?

Theres only a 2800 mah battery... if you want more amp-hours you have to buy the battery module.
The headphone amp circuit only has this much current/voltage swing on tap... if you want to adequately power 300 ohm headphones you have to buy the headphone amp module.

... etc

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Add on accessories rarely do well in this type of way. Maybe we'll see usefulness out of the G5 accessories but honestly it's doubtful. Sure the camera add on would be cool but I'm sure the camera without it is already great. The robot, well I guess if you need it. The better headphone dac that makes the phone slightly bigger, good luck finding a case for that.

The phone itself looks nice and it's a big departure from the last 3 or 4 years. I do give LG credit for moving forward and trying something different. I hope it sales well.

Compared to my V10, I absolutely love the screen size, the 2nd Screen, the build, the standard storage, camera etc... I couldn't be happier unless they would have put the wireless charging in it standard, that's the one thing I didn't understand on LG's side.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
From an audio standpoint, which is one the main reasons I got the V10, the G5 is a step down. Whereas the V10 has 32 but audio standard, you need to buy the gimmicky extra module to get the same level of audio on the G5. I'll pass.

inuchan

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I feel that the V10 was just a test phone put out to try out the "Always On" screen. I think that the V10 will just be a forgotten phone and already seems to be going that way as you can see all the things you can buy for the G5. Lucky T-Mobile has the jump program where I can change out the phone. I am going to ditch the V10 for the G5 for sure.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I went the other way. I returned my V10 today to try out the S7 Edge. My Nexus 6P will always rule my household but I don't want to be left behind like I was with the Note Edge (still an awesome phone IMO!) on my work line.

Posted from the 6P of Aluminum Doom

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I think the V10 is going to be an abandonware phone. There has not been any word about MM on our devices. There hasn't been a security update (on VZW anyway) since December.
This may not be a popular opinion, but I think the signs are there.

Verizon did a update in January didn't they?

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
As a phone I could really care less what they do with the g5. Heck even the v11. My v10 is just the awesome work horse I requested and need for atleast 2 years. It's fast, it sounds great, takes awesome photos battery last 6 hours with industrial use and when it does die I swap battery that charges in my work van instead of me being tethered by a charging chord. I even got a wireless charging back to at home so I now have zero wear on my micro USB port. I have everything I wanted in a phone. I am good and happy.

Jean-Luc Ensch

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Frankly, despite the creative features of the G5, I will not change. I need a big screen and the G5 is too small for my liking, plus there is no second screen.

If anything, I'll be waiting for the successor to the V10, in the hope of a more powerful removable battery and a an enhanced use of the second screen (total customization).

corty34m

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was always a Samsung Note guy myself since I love big screen phones and the S-Pen. I previously owned a Note 2, 3, and 4 and in between the LG G3. When I found out last year that Samsung took away the microsd card and removable battery on the Note 5 I passed especially since the did not offer a 128gb version. Unfortunately because of the heating issues with the SD810 there were not many phones left to choose from and it was almost the end of the year so I bought the V10. I love the big screen and even the second screen though I do think the phone in general is an experimental model much like the Note Edge was. You can always tell from how much hype and marketing the put behind a phone and the V10 was a very quiet launch. I wish there were more 3rd party apps for the second screen as I feel there is a lot of potential there. Love the removable battery, 64gb storage, microsd card, and the camera especially the manual mode for pictures and videos. Shame DXOMark never reviewed it. I would have loved to see how it compared to others. Only think I am not crazy about is the SD808 processor and GPU. For me I was coming from a SD805 and while I realize the 808 is better with 6 cores and 64bit, I feel like the GPU was actually a step behind the Note 4. I do agree with others that this phone has maybe not exactly been forgotten but at least has a low priority. I too have only received one update since November 2015 with no sign of MM anytime soon. I would have liked to seen 2 8 MP cameras on the front instead of 2 5 MP's. On the G5 they should have put a dual camera on the front again but made the back 2 16 MP Cameras. Correct me if I am wrong but having the wide angle lens only 8 MP doesn't that mean any wide angle picture you take with have a lower resolution? That does not make too much sense unless the phone combines the 16 and 8 and actually takes a 24 MP shot? If they were adding a dual lens set up just makes more sense to have 2 16 MP lenses. I also think the G5 should have stayed at 5.5 inches or even 5.7 inches. As far as the add on modules go they should have made the camera module have an optical zoom since there was a hump added anyway with a better lens and the audio module should have included front facing stereo speakers. Maybe others will develop things like retina scanners but again as others have said how much will all these add on's cost and you can only use 1 at a time. Funyy how Samsung was always criticized for having gimicky features but others can get away with it.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That piqued my interest, but I'm wondering how much wear and tear it'll suffer for people who change their batteries out a lot.

Posted via a screaming LG V10...or the Nexus 6P of Doom...mood dependent.
That was my first thought on the battery system too. How long before the opening wears out from extended use and won't hold the battery securely enough.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
5.5 inch curved displays are very good for one-handed use, even with small hands like myself.

Not want a device smaller than 5.5inch, seems perfect ,maybe 5.7/6.0inch but then it's hard for one-handed use...even with curved displays.

And no heating problems with the Snapdragon 810, Android 5.1.1 update fixed this problem :)

It's very fast,too. DDR4 RAM helps a lot, handling daily tasks with a breeze.

via LG Flex2 with BlackBerry VKB

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Verizon did a update in January didn't they?

T-mobile has already started releasing MM for their V10s. One of my facebook friends upgraded to it on his V10 and was pretty underwhelmed by it. Guess it's a wait and see game for AT&T and Verizon. I'm in no hurry. Love my V10 as is.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
T-mobile has already started releasing MM for their V10s. One of my facebook friends upgraded to it on his V10 and was pretty underwhelmed by it. Guess it's a wait and see game for AT&T and Verizon. I'm in no hurry. Love my V10 as is.

So is this friend part of an internal testing group?

T-Mobile still lists the V10 as manufacturer development and there hasn't been any confirmation of MM on the V10 in the wild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol