Data transfer from iPhone 6 to V10

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Got my new V10 from VZW coming in the mail today. I am switching from an iPhone 6. Wanted to see what things to do to make the transition smooth. I've already disabled iMessage and plan on calling Apple to unregister my number with their system so I won't have issues with ext messaging. Is there an easy way to transfer data from iPhone to V10? Or is my best bet taking it to Verizon or Best Buy and have them transfer the data. Looking forward to playing around with the V10! Thanks guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switching to V10 from iphone

Welcome to Android Central, and to the Android fold!:D This site might be helpful to you: https://www.android.com/switch/. My main piece of advice would be to migrate everything to a Google service (e.g., Google Photos, Google Play Music, Google Drive, etc.).

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

Got my new V10 from VZW coming in the mail today. I am switching from an iPhone 6. Wanted to see what things to do to make the transition smooth. I've already disabled iMessage and plan on calling Apple to unregister my number with their system so I won't have issues with ext messaging. Is there an easy way to transfer data from iPhone to V10? Or is my best bet taking it to Verizon or Best Buy and have them transfer the data. Looking forward to playing around with the V10! Thanks guys!

That sort of depends on what stuff you were using prior. Luckily Android is pretty flexible in allowing ways to use many different services. I came from Windows and still use a lot of the Microsoft services/apps as they are pretty well done on all platforms now for example.

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the help guys! Had it a full two days now and have most everything I wanted back on here. I have a few issues/questions:

1. Battery life hasn't been that great so far. I'm probably over thinking it but just seems to drai, fast. I kill the apps running in the background often and keep the screen brightness down as well.

2. The location services icon will more times than not constantly pop up and stay on the second screen. When I hard press it to see what app is making it pop up its Android System. Sometimes it'll go away for an extended period but then shows back. It shows on the lock screen too, either its locating me or it lets me know I'm located. Not critical but annoying nonetheless.

3. Snapchat videos are wavy looking. I looked for this issue on the inter webs and it says to change the video settings. The problem is, Snapchat isn't showing video settings under settings not advanced settings.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the help guys! Had it a full two days now and have most everything I wanted back on here. I have a few issues/questions:

1. Battery life hasn't been that great so far. I'm probably over thinking it but just seems to drai, fast. I kill the apps running in the background often and keep the screen brightness down as well.

2. The location services icon will more times than not constantly pop up and stay on the second screen. When I hard press it to see what app is making it pop up its Android System. Sometimes it'll go away for an extended period but then shows back. It shows on the lock screen too, either its locating me or it lets me know I'm located. Not critical but annoying nonetheless.

3. Snapchat videos are wavy looking. I looked for this issue on the inter webs and it says to change the video settings. The problem is, Snapchat isn't showing video settings under settings not advanced settings.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1. Post some screen shots of your battery usage and we can take a look and see what might be causing the not so great battery life. Great battery life is achievable...I usually get 5+ hours SOT (and 6+ many days) with about 15 hours up time.

2. What location setting are you using?

3. I don't use Snapchat so can't really help you there.

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

1. Post some screen shots of your battery usage and we can take a look and see what might be causing the not so great battery life. Great battery life is achievable...I usually get 5+ hours SOT (and 6+ many days) with about 15 hours up time.

2. What location setting are you using?

3. I don't use Snapchat so can't really help you there.

Haven't changed any location settings. Oddly enough it hasn't shown up since I posted about it lol

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2280.jpg
    2280.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 82

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This is what I suggest when battery questions come up: Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Also, avoid killing apps. This is not how Android is designed to operate. The system prefers to keep RAM mostly full, which allows apps to open and switch more quickly and efficiently. The system will handle when apps should be closed. If you use a "RAM cleaner" app that automatically kills apps, the system will just open apps again to fill RAM. This takes a bit of energy, so if it's constantly happening, it can contribute to overall battery drain (and also impact performance).

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

This is what I suggest when battery questions come up: Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Also, avoid killing apps. This is not how Android is designed to operate. The system prefers to keep RAM mostly full, which allows apps to open and switch more quickly and efficiently. The system will handle when apps should be closed. If you use a "RAM cleaner" app that automatically kills apps, the system will just open apps again to fill RAM. This takes a bit of energy, so if it's constantly happening, it can contribute to overall battery drain (and also impact performance).

Wow that's good to know! I'll let this thing finish charging to 100 then check out the battery info at 20-30 like said. Thanks again for all the help!

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, I'd stick with your iPhone IMO. I switched from an iPhone6s and found myself missing how fast it was on wifi, the superior fingerprint scanner and so on. The ONLY thing I like about this phone is the second screen and the camera. Honestly though, I felt and still do feel as though it's a trade-down. My fingerprint scanner completely stopped working yesterday. A manufacturer reset did nothing and now tmobile is putting the burden on me to get it replaced through LG.

Last edited:

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

Update: just got home from getting my car serviced at the dealership. Left with 94%, came home with 65%. I was there for about an hour and 20 minutes. Used my phone normally: text messaging, facebook browsing, web browsing. I realize the screen is bigger than my old screen but I feel that this is subpar battery life. I shouldn't have to worry about not running certain apps just to conserve battery life. I'm glad that it came with a fast charger because it drains just as fast as it charges.

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

Honestly, I'd stick with your iPhone IMO. I switched from an iPhone6s and found myself missing how fast it was on wifi, the superior fingerprint scanner and so on. The ONLY thing I like about this phone is the second screen and the camera. Honestly though, I felt and still do feel as though it's a trade-down. My fingerprint scanner completely stopped working yesterday. A manufacturer reset did nothing and now tmobile is putting the burden on me to get it replaced through LG.

Leaning towards going back at this point.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Leaning towards going back at this point.

I have found myself charging this thing 2 to 3 times a day! I've never, ever had to charge my iPhone6s more than once a day. I've had too many issues with my v10 having issues like Google services or Android System eating my battery up. Too many times I get to work and noticed that my phone went from 100% to 77% in the span of an hour of no usage. Google and Android are the causes. Unfortunately, by the time you realize this, you're at work and you actually need your phone at one or more points throughout the day. I now don't go anywhere without my quick charger.

Just wait until you notice the horrific speeds on wifi. At home, I can normally get around 40 mbps, but on my v10 it's usually half that. Same thing at work. This phone is notorious for the wifi issues.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

It was kinda funny, and sad, when I looked into ways of resolving the poor battery life netted me results of the variety that suggested I turn off pretty much every dann feature. Turn wifi off, turn second screen off, turn off auto brightness and set to 5%, turn off sounds and vibration, turn off the fingerprint reader, and so on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Left with 94%, came home with 65%. I was there for about an hour and 20 minutes.

Was the screen on the whole time? If so, that would be fairly normal, since it would put you on track for about 5 hours of total screen-on time.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

It was kinda funny, and sad, when I looked into ways of resolving the poor battery life netted me results of the variety that suggested I turn off pretty much every dann feature. Turn wifi off, turn second screen off, turn off auto brightness and set to 5%, turn off sounds and vibration, turn off the fingerprint reader, and so on.

Well then you looked at the wrong suggestions from the wrong people.

No reason to compromise the phone to get good battery life and SOT. I can get 6 hours SOT with 3 email accounts all set to push, Lux for auto brightness, notifications from tons of apps, WiFi always on even if I'm not using it, location set to GPS only (because I have no issues using just GPS).

I have never had a Facebook account so I have Facebook disabled along with any other apps I don't use that I can't just uninstall.

The only thing I use is Access Lock to control permissions of downloaded apps. I restrict keep awake and location from just about every app unless I feel like the app needs it or it will make the app more user friendly. I haven't come across a single app yet that fails to function correctly with keep awake restricted. Everything works just fine.

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I loved my iphone 6plus... just got bored... after 2 weeks my battery life got way better on the v10... no special tricks... still always carry a mophie pack with me (had it for the iphone) and have a quick charger at work and home...

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

FACEBOOK: that's your problem right there. Get that raggedy *** POS off your phone, anytime I installed that crap, all vital functions on my phone took a big hit.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

I loved my iphone 6plus... just got bored... after 2 weeks my battery life got way better on the v10... no special tricks... still always carry a mophie pack with me (had it for the iphone) and have a quick charger at work and home...

yep, I was weary disappointed with battery life until week and a half went by, then it got much better.

cox727

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site

FACEBOOK: that's your problem right there. Get that raggedy *** POS off your phone, anytime I installed that crap, all vital functions on my phone took a big hit.

No thanks, I actually use the app and don't feel that I should be handcuffed on what apps to use and not use to keep my battery from draining.

I love the phone other than the battery life. Hopefully it gets better.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

I know exactly what you mean, but welcome to android and sometimes that WILL be the case...like it is now. At least greenify it.