Messenger Clean Apps Notification / Prompt

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen this before? I am not sure if this is part of the OS or some other app that was installed. I received a notification today that some apps have not been used in more than 30 days offering to clean them out. When I tap on the notification I get the following prompt. Choosing 'No' does not remove the notification. What is this and how do I turn it off?

cleanapps.jpg

Thanks

[EDIT] This might be part of the "Smart Cleaning" option within the OS. Dumb that it doesn't say that at the top instead of "Messenger" that appears on the notification.

Last edited:

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone seen this before? I am not sure if this is part of the OS or some other app that was installed. I received a notification today that some apps have not been used in more than 30 days offering to clean them out. When I tap on the notification I get the following prompt. Choosing 'No' does not remove the notification. What is this and how do I turn it off?

View attachment 218276

Thanks

[EDIT] This might be part of the "Smart Cleaning" option within the OS. Dumb that it doesn't say that at the top instead of "Messenger" that appears on the notification.

Were you able to disable it?

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I went into the Smart Cleaning feature (part of recent LG phones) and turned off all notifications. Other than that I have no idea what the prompt was from. In the notification it had a title of "Messenger" and both that and the image above mentioned cleaning old apps. When I did go into Smart Cleaning it showed several apps that I supposedly hadn't used in 30 days but almost all of them I had used recently.

So no, not disabled unless this is for Smart Cleaning.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
This is still happening and now I know why the notification said "Messenger". That's the name of the app it claims is not being used. I got this notification yesterday and one for Amazon today. How do I turn this garbage off?

unusedapps.jpg

Chris Dontworryaboutit

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Might have to do with your smart cleaning setting. If you go into the settings for smart cleaning, you can set when to notify you when apps have been idle for a certain period.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I changed the notification interval in Smart Cleaning to Never. I still get prompted. I found the app that is doing this though, it is called "Restrict idle apps" and can only be found in Application Manager. Since it's a system app loaded by LG you can't remove or disable it. I chatted with LG and all they could offer was to force close the app and then clear the cache. :-\

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I changed the notification interval in Smart Cleaning to Never. I still get prompted. I found the app that is doing this though, it is called "Restrict idle apps" and can only be found in Application Manager. Since it's a system app loaded by LG you can't remove or disable it. I chatted with LG and all they could offer was to force close the app and then clear the cache. :-\

So did that work?

Posted via the Android Central App

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The notification has not returned yet. I should know in the next day or two since it had been coming up frequently. I'll post back here if this is still an issue.

dheffy22

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
mbnocx - I have taken the same steps you did: turned off smart cleaning notifications, changed the idle period to the max (6 months), etc, and yet I still get frequent notifications to remove an idle app. The apps it claims to be idle are usually ones I've used in the last day, let alone 30 days as it purports.

It's incredibly frustrating, to say the least.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking for a solution for this annoying message. i like the idea that it is there ti help clean out old apps that you have not accessed, I have done this on my own for the very same reason. But LG locking it down so that you can not block notifications for disable the app is just idiotic. I don't see this one as MFG bloatware since it DOES have some usefulness, but locking it down that tight is just not necessary.