Unable to assign specific ringtones

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Try going into you contact list, select contact, edit and scroll down, it should show ringtone and then notification. Should be able to change from there. (This is on Verizons).

silkphoenix

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I am on Sprint with Android 6.0 Marshmallow, HTC One A9.

Whenever I assign different ringtones on any of my contacts, they always revert back to the default one. The ringtones I chose is on the list. It just won't change! I am able to change Notifications ringtones though.

Is it because of Android 6.0?

Thank you.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have 6.0 and assigning ringtones worked both in 5.01 and 6.0. No difference there. Wonder if Sprint disabled that feature? Might need to give them a call and find out. Just see you're using HTC. We're usng LG V10. There might be the difference.

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have tried that exact process but ringtones is greed out for me. I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong, guess not. I'll keep at it and let you all know if something changes.

If anyone has another idea, I am open.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have tried that exact process but ringtones is greed out for me. I was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong, guess not. I'll keep at it and let you all know if something changes.

If anyone has another idea, I am open.

When you open the contact, up in the right hand corner, looks like a pencil - to edit - are you tapping on that to edit the contact?

silkphoenix

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the response. I called Sprint and they have no idea why, so they transferred me to HTC and they suggested me to try that in Safe Mode, which I did, and still the ringtones won't change. I know the ringtones are good because they are the same ones I used for my previous HTC ONE M8. And when I clicked on the ringtones, they all played correctly. Just when I clicked APPLY, the ringtones on the contacts will not change, still stay on the Default. I can change the ringtone for the phone, which means every contact will have the same ringtone, I just cannot assign individual ringtone to individual contact.

I'll call HTC again to see if they can figure it out. Will post update when I get one. Anyone has any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

silkphoenix

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. That's the way I always do with my previous HTC phones. Only that for this one (A9), the ringtones won't change no matter what I did. I tried the ringtones on another HTC phone and worked fine.

So I am at a loss. Maybe HTC can tell me why.

DrWMJ

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Check to see if under "ringtone ID", you have allowed certain contacts to be assigned to custom ring tones. This feature appears to create/assign a ringtone to a group of contacts, such as "favorites". When you try to alter the ringtones individually subsequently, the option for changing the tone is grayed out. It took me a while to figure this out too.

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Check to see if under "ringtone ID", you have allowed certain contacts to be assigned to custom ring tones. This feature appears to create/assign a ringtone to a group of contacts, such as "favorites". When you try to alter the ringtones individually subsequently, the option for changing the tone is grayed out. It took me a while to figure this out too.
Not sure what you mean here, I may be misunderstanding what you are saying. I am unable to access that option, it is greyed out for me.

DrWMJ

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Go to settings- Sound and Notifications- Ringtone ID.
If Ringtone ID is turned on, you will not be able to assign specific ringtones to some entries under Contacts.
With Ringtone ID off, you should be able to edit all individual entries in Contacts.

Posted via the Android Central App

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Go to settings- Sound and Notifications- Ringtone ID.
If Ringtone ID is turned on, you will not be able to assign specific ringtones to some entries under Contacts.
With Ringtone ID off, you should be able to edit all individual entries in Contacts.

Posted via the Android Central App

Winner, winner chicken dinner!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the help. this fixed the issue. I'm not sure when, or even if, I would have gotten around to looking there. Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar