"The Android Update Trap"

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The Android Update Trap | PCWorld

This is an old article, but worth the read.

This set of circumstances pretty much happened to me a couple years ago with my Samsung Galaxy SIII, when it went from 4.1 to 4.2--up to and including Samsung absolutely ignoring me and denying anything and everything. (Hence the main reason I won't buy anything Samsung ever again. That, plus the fact that LG is arguably better anyway.)

For those eager to update to MM, you might want to pause a moment.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I updated to MM on t-mobile. Haven't encountered any problems. I'd say my phone is working as good or better than before. Battery life is as good or better. Bluetooth and Android Auto works flawless. I understand the article but from what I've read here on the forums and elsewhere, the upgrade to MM is relatively problem free on the V10

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Another case of YMMV. Most people who update don't have problems with their device while a sizable margin do and to a lesser extent, have an unusable phone.

Either way, phones dying from updates are relatively rare and are usually due to a hardware defect.

Posted on an LG V10

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Another case of YMMV. Most people who update don't have problems with their device while a sizable margin do and to a lesser extent, have an unusable phone.

Either way, phones dying from updates are relatively rare and are usually due to a hardware defect.

Posted on an LG V10

Nicely said. I would like to add that out of 9 smartphones I've owned in my lifetime, not one has had issues with it's update either immediately or long term. There is only one caveat with that statement, unless there was a known bug on the OS itself.

I get it that you had a terrible experience with your S3 updating years ago. But there is no reason to 'warn' others to update their V10 to 6.0 based on that experience alone. My V10, as well as many others, have had success in the update. My wife's Note 5 got the update a week after mine and hers went just as smooth as my V10 did. If you want to ride it out as long as you can, go for it, but to bring this 'concern/fear' into updating just isn't fair.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

Design defect, most likely.

The problem was with my Galaxy S3, that once updated to 4.2 there was NO going back to 4.1.

Really? REALLY? Oh, that honked me off. When there's no exit strategy, no nuke and repave to square 1 where it was working strategy, updates are HIGHLY suspect until proven otherwise.

I've seen posts here where people suggest that "oh, don't worry, if you need to you can always reset and that'll take you back to 5.1.1 like when it was new". I don't know if that's true or not, but my experience with the S3 and 4.2 was that no indeed, that wasn't true in the least.

And you don't know about the "defect"--design, individual hardware, or otherwise--until you've already fully committed to 4 hour battery life (for example) and can't go back.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Disagree. Updating in general should be taken with a huge grain of salt until and unless the ecosystem matures more.

The reason for forums like this is for people to gather information, not stick their heads in the sand. It's more than fair to bring up what has happened in the past and what could happen, to give people a complete picture--instead of a one-sided picture of phone geeks/fanbois claiming that all is well (whether it's true or not).

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how many handsets I've had since but my first Android was the HTC Evo 4G in 2010. I haven't done a FDR ever in relation to a software upgrade.

Is my situation YMMV? Maybe. But so is the situation in that article.

And as far as the T-Mobile V10 goes, it's been another flawless upgrade experience.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Disagree. Updating in general should be taken with a huge grain of salt until and unless the ecosystem matures more.

The reason for forums like this is for people to gather information, not stick their heads in the sand. It's more than fair to bring up what has happened in the past and what could happen, to give people a complete picture--instead of a one-sided picture of phone geeks/fanbois claiming that all is well (whether it's true or not).

So you want to base and gather information on an update on something that happened 4 years ago on a phone that is now 4 generations behind on an update that Samsung really screwed up on? And what complete picture does that gather exactly. And us 'phone geeks/fanboys' are 'claiming' all is well cause it is. Again, you are crying fowl on this update when it doesn't need to be. And crying fowl on 'possible', 'could be',or 'not enough info' doesn't do it justice. Yes, we are all here to discuss and help each other with problems and issues. But why discuss possible issues when we can discuss on what's actually going on.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
As a point of information, yes.

I see lots of reports here from people who have had the update 6 hours and declare, "Works great! No problems! Just do it!" when in fact no one can know from 6 hours that it has "no problems".

People are free to do what they want. Ideally, they'd have full information before they act. The purpose of this forum is to help people with information.

It seems you're not comfortable with my talk track, and feel the need to defend your actions. Your actions are your actions and your experience is your experience, and that's fine. My advice is my advice, and it's backed up by fact and experience. That's all. Let the readers decide for themselves.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It seems you're not comfortable with my talk track, and feel the need to defend your actions.

No need to defend my actions (if you mean by actions as me updating my phone to M) as my actions don't need to be defended. I'm just trying to figure out why you felt the need to share this information when that particular stories issues doesn't really pertain to the V10 and the experiences people are having with the V10's update. This particular story fits with the S3 or even at the section with 4.1/4.2 (Jellybean I believe). While this post is helpful, it just doesn't make sense it being in the V10 section.

Either way, thanks for the info and I'm sure some will find it helpful.

I see lots of reports here from people who have had the update 6 hours and declare, "Works great! No problems! Just do it!" when in fact no one can know from 6 hours that it has "no problems".

Yes, 6 hours is a little premature to say that. But we are almost 2 weeks into this update and nothing seems to be a problem. I've done plenty of Motorola soak test and they mostly only get 1 to 2 weeks before they make it live. With LG's testing and it being live near 2 weeks for us early adopters, I'd say the update did it's job. You don't agree with that, that's fine. But due to no clear evidence that this update is bad, this post is irrelevant in the V10 section in my opinion. I also think I made my point, and like you said, we'll make the readers decide for themselves.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
But due to no clear evidence that this update is bad, this post is irrelevant in the V10 section in my opinion.

Every vendor does it differently; the T-Mobile rollout is 5 days in, and the AT&T rollout is not even 12 hours old.

There's not enough evidence to say one way or the other yet, especially for AT&T.

And before anyone says anything, to assume the AT&T update will go flawlessly based on whatever people are reporting about the VZW and T-Mo updates is ridiculous. They're entirely different beasts, each of them.

And while we're here, what's your answer to this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...tatus-sd-card-error-notification-startup.html

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Android 6.0 Marshmallow Lets You Use Your MicroSD Card As Internal Storage : TECH : Tech Times

Check the above. This is the the pop up that most have been concerned about. You must choose how you want to use your SD card. For the V10 I would think using the SD as portable storage would be the best. If this isn't what you are speaking of, I need a little more info on the error.

And before anyone says anything, to assume the AT&T update will go flawlessly based on whatever people are reporting about the VZW and T-Mo updates is ridiculous. They're entirely different beasts, each of them

Different yes, but only cause of the bloatware and/or any carrier features (WiFi calling) make the updates vary. While there could be a chance that AT&T screwed up this update on their end, the base OS update itself would be the same. One example, I saw some people reporting some ad like pop ups on the VZW since the updates. Some are saying once the unused bloatware was disabled, it was taken care of. T-Mo users, like me, are not reporting that.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've heard a couple of horror stories on here about updating to Marshmallow; so when my update came, I was slightly skeptical. However, my device got the update over three weeks ago and it seems to be running okay. In fact, my G3 had a charging issue (it would stall on a charge/say "16 hours until full" when plugged in/would take two hours to go up ten percent); and since my update, this issue has vanished. I'm pretty happy with my update so far... But that doesn't mean that I wasn't a little hesitant to download the update.

Great read, too - thanks for posting it! Some glitches and haywire are to be expected due to Android's diverse ecosystem... It's just really unfortunate when those glitches cause terrible things like less Screen On Time and battery drains.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

This set of circumstances pretty much happened to me a couple years ago with my Samsung Galaxy SIII, when it went from 4.1 to 4.2--up to and including Samsung absolutely ignoring me and denying anything and everything. (Hence the main reason I won't buy anything Samsung ever again. That, plus the fact that LG is arguably better anyway.)

A downside of not updating - each update plugs security flaws. There is a happy medium. Just wait until there's some feedback from other users before updating. A week or so should do it.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
That is a downside of not updating.

But if the feedback is bad, then you're ultimately ahead of things by not updating. And like you say, you don't know for a week or more what that feedback is.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site

I have written about this in other threads, but MM bricked my phone. I had to reset. I had a constant error message that appeared every second ("Unfortunately, the process process.android.media has stopped") , which meant I couldn't get to settings and clear the cache, which may or may not have fixed the issue. Needless to say, it was very frustrating and not a good experience with LG.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have written about this in other threads, but MM bricked my phone. I had to reset. I had a constant error message that appeared every second ("Unfortunately, the process process.android.media has stopped") , which meant I couldn't get to settings and clear the cache, which may or may not have fixed the issue. Needless to say, it was very frustrating and not a good experience with LG.

Are you sure it wasn't a hardware problem? This is the first I've heard of a mm update bricking a phone.

jeremyaz1

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I mentioned in a prior post that I updated to MM on my LG G4 and although it was an overall fantastic upgrade, it completely ruined bluetooth voice connectivity with my car. That is a pretty big deal to me. It's been about 2 months or so, and no patch has come out to fix the issue--even though it's a known bug and many others are suffering. I have the V10 now and haven't updated yet.

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, ALL of my phones I have had {Samsung, Nokia, LG, Motorola and AT&T, Verizon carriers) have successfully negotiated all upgrades I ran them through.

Now, about the Samsung S3... My son bought a used one from a friend and the screen went black on it. The phone appeared to be working, but unusable without the visual feedback. So I downloaded Samsung KIES and it stated there was an update for the phone. I did the update with initialized and "WELAHHH!!!! it started working again.... for a few weeks. Then it went back to the same old black screen. So I do not attribute that to the OS update... I am thinking there was some hardware issue to start with, be it design flaw or former owner abuse.

Just my $0.02...

My LG V10 is working BETTER with the MM OS than it was when I got it new out of the box. Rock solid and the battery usage is way down.