Fingerprint Scanner Now Dead

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
After the MM update, all seemed to be going great with fingerprints working seamlessly. Fast forward a week or two and the scanner is now dead. It doesn't register anything at all. Anyone else have this issue? Has anyone here ever done a warranty claim with LG? Just wondering if there are options.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I tried and when I go in to re-read, it just doesn't register. According to that thread, it appears I may have to send it back for a defect. Sigh.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I tried and when I go in to re-read, it just doesn't register. According to that thread, it appears I may have to send it back for a defect. Sigh.

I have had my fingerprint reader stop working twice only to start working again a few weeks later. Haven't had a problem in a while. Hope yours starts working again too.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I had to do a factory reset 2-3 weeks after I installed MM. Mine has been fine since (knock on wood)

I have also found that if my prints are callous or worn down... the FPS will not recognize them, and I have to use screen knocks or re-program the prints. My wife has the same problem on her 6S+. So I think its a limitation of the FPS readers in general, not limited to any one make/model of handset.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask, because my reader stopped reading fingerprints last week, have you restarted your phone?

When I had the issue last week, a simple restart fixed this issue, and everything worked normally after that.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Fun end to this story. I tried everything and it wouldn't work, so I call T-Mo and they overnighted a replacement. As I was doing the swap and everything to to get the broken one ready to ship back, the original V10 fingerprint scanner started working again. Of course.

Oh well...got a shiny new V10 out of it.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that when I fly the finger print scanner stops working for a day! I think due to dehydration or something. Whatever...it was my fingertip and not the phone. Some people's fingers just don't work with these devices - of scanners at data centers and other high security buildings. Moisturizer can help. I'm not surprised it spontaneously started to work again.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't surprise me. M V10 and my wifes iphone print reading ability comes and goes with the condition of our prints.

Side note... my Brother in law is a school teacher and every year he has to submit his fingerprints to their database. One time his prints were either callous or worn down so the guy running the print scanning process had him wipe his hands with hand sanitizer for 5-10 minutes. The alcohol, anti-bacteria and moisturizing agents soak into the skin and prints become more pronounced so the machine can scan them.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Damn....my fingerprint reader stopped working again. 😩 worked since my last post. Maybe it will start working soon. I wonder what makes it stop working and start working again. I can't exchange it anymore because I dropped it in water months back and the water indicator is pink.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Damn....my fingerprint reader stopped working again. 😩 worked since my last post. Maybe it will start working soon. I wonder what makes it stop working and start working again. I can't exchange it anymore because I dropped it in water months back and the water indicator is pink.

Dropping in water months ago might have something to do with it

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, I never have problems with my V10's fingerprint scanner though the location of the SD 808 on the motherboard COULD be the reason why fingerprint scanners for some people are dropping dead. If you remove the plastic motherboard cover which houses the volume buttons and camera lens, you can see that the key SoC components which heat up during use are RIGHT under the rear button assembly, protected by a small, flimsy aluminum cover housing the actual buttons which holds the rocker and fingerprint sensor in place.

tl;dr the Snapdragon 808 heats up pretty good and the location of the SoC being right under the rear buttons could indicate that dead fingerprint scanners are a result of the circuitry of the scanner getting fried from the heat of the CPU.

Posted via an LG V10

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Dropping in water months ago might have something to do with it

Back in business! Out of nowhere the fingerprint reader starts working again! Super happy to have it back. 😃😃
This is the 3rd cycle it stopped and started working again. It's usually out for a week or two.
The last time it didn't work was before I dropped it in water. A few days later it worked.
Very strange.

Also it definitely gets hot 🔥 right underneath where the 808/SOC has been mentioned to be. With around 300 apps I can burn through a full charge....sometimes as quick as about 1.5 hrs.

Attachments

• 141109.jpg
    141109.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 81

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine quit, called LG and they paid to have me send it in, came back a week later and all is well. I run a Facebook page and 3 people in the group also had the same problem.

sonicnate

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Mine has been dead for a few weeks now and I really don't like the knock code or PIN so it is really frustrating. I am considering warranty options, but I tend to agree with previous poster about the heat issue. I use my phone a lot for the high-res audio feature and it gets quite hot because of this. All that being said about the heat, the fingerprint scanner went dead after MM upgrade.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Restarting always fixes mine when it stops working. Has only happened a couple times in the last month, but I power cycle my V10 almost every day because I only charge my spare then swap batteries, rather than run current through my phone all night.

Asim Zaib

May 15, 2017
Visit site
The fingerprint connection with the phone board is loose.. Try tapping the phone and the button not so hard.. And restart your phone..if dont then repeat.. It worked in my case..

Twitterpaitted

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
I just had mine stop working today after I downloaded a new free app, so before resetting to factory defaults I tried just uninstalling the app and now it works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech