Upgrade to Marshmallow questions

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Once I go into "system updates / check for software updates and update your phone", I get this:

Android System Updates....

Update size: 1058.5 MB

And hangs there

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
It finally did it. It did not display any message for a while and I just left it on the charger. The next morning I noticed it had "Install and Restart" button, which I hit. Then it came up with this LG backup with a bunch of options, I hit reboot. I am still at 5.5.1 but it says the phone is up to date.

How do you force 6.0 upgrade?

Marina Bumber

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
My provider still hasn't pushed the update, and someone recommended lg bride. There, it's available. (I suppose, since it doesn't name the update!) can someone link me to the topic about MM experiences? If there is one. Before I update?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
In this day and age, you risk lots when you choose to upgrade.

you must ask yourself: is it broken? If it's not broken, why should I fix it?

You should also ask yourself: how long before I get a new phone? If you like to get new phones often, just go out and buy a phone that came with MM from the factory. Or wait until LG comes out with the successor to the V10, which shouldn't be too long, and that will have Android 6 or maybe even Android 7 on it.

If you tend to keep your phone a longer time, roll those dice and upgrade the software. But do be aware, you might see issues. Reported issues are bad battery life and bluetooth issues, among others. Be prepared to solve the bad battery life by doing a factory restore. Before you do that, do a backup to your computer using LG Bridge. Pain, but worth it.

Benefits are newer security updates and overall the fingerprint scanner works better, and is now integrated with the OS for non-LG uses.

Marina Bumber

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for this answer. I just got LG V10, so I wouldn't mind doing factory reset. Not much has been set up. I'm not crazy about my battery life as it is, if it gets worse, is there a chance factory reset doesn't do the trick?
I have had MM on my previous phone Galaxy S5 for a while now and kinda liked it. And yes, I tend to keep this one for the next 2 years. If I wanna update, maybe the time is now :)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Frankly, I've always heard that battery life gets better as the system learns your habits. If you just got it and you're not crazy about battery life, give it a couple of weeks. If you do a factory reset, give it a couple of weeks.

I'm not crazy about battery life either, but it does get me through the day to about 5:30pm. Past that is a bit dicey. I use the Snapdragon BatteryGuru, from Qualcomm; not sure if that's necessary anymore.

Go ahead and do it from Bridge, if you want; that's no different than the over-the-air update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463