Is the latest version of Chrome a battery hog?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've noticed my battery life kinda sucks. I struggle to get 2.5hrs SOT, when I can normally hit nearly 4 without issues. Looking at battery usage screen is at top but following right behind (as in 1 or 2 percentage points behind) is Chrome. I never remember seeing chrome browser being this high in usage. Sometimes I even see it above my screen. Everything else doesn't use much battery. Is anyone else seeing this?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Just checked mine and Chrome isn't even on the battery usage list. I would clear the cache and data for the app. If that doesn't work try to uninstall or disable and uninstall updates then re-enable it and update it. See if that helps .

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I cleared cache. Removed app and reinstalled it. Solved it. For a day. Went right back to being top battery hog. Also checked battery, android system shows gps usage as active for HOURS. That's not helping. Location usage just says google services and says low battery usage (which is bull****). During the day I hardly used the phone. And did nothing that would use GPS. I've already done factory reset twice over this same problem. It doesn't fix it. Phone gets great battery life when the software isn't screwing up. And in Google's great wisdom I cannot figure out what's causing the excessive GPS usage because it's all labled under the generic play services icon. I would have to root the phone just to figure out battery. That's ridiculous. What annoys me more is my wife has same exact phone but never has these issues... And she installs apps like crazy. I barely have anything more than stock apps on here.

ralfyguy

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same excessive GPS usage for hours and hours. This happened after the last OS upgrade, when WiFi calling was made available. Ever since I observe the phone going down from 100-40℅ from 8am to 5pm on a weekend just laying there without any me even touching the phone the entire time.
Good to know I can save myself the hassle of factory reset if it doesn't do any good.
In fact, the battery lasts longer if I carry the phone with me and actually use it occasionally.
At home it is on WiFi and about 5 feet from the router with excellent signal.
I have no idea what the damn thing is doing all the time.
And turning off Wifi calling didn't help either.