Boot loop problem and my factory repair story

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I got the same phone back. I took off the back and removed the battery, SIM, and SD card, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and stuck it in a small box.

But you'll lose everything and get a fresh OS install on it. It came back in out-of-the-box condition.

hoang51

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I got the same phone back. I took off the back and removed the battery, SIM, and SD card, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and stuck it in a small box.

But you'll lose everything and get a fresh OS install on it. It came back in out-of-the-box condition.

Thanks for answering my questions Adam. So it looks like it's best to go with LG warranty repair instead of AT&T warranty care since I'll get my phone back instead of someone else's.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I liked it best when you started whining (lying) about the bad man crapping on your "experience"....were you actually crying when you typed that?
Oh and...still waiting

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Plenty of opportunity to back up your claim that I "crapped on your experience", but you can't. You started this mess by coming at me and now you plead ignorant? The truth, you got butt hurt because my opinion of LG and their handling of this differed from yours...simple as that.
Enjoy your day!

Waiting for what? Man, all that waiting and posting--you sure do care.

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
For those who had their LG V10 repaired under warranty from LG, did you get your original phone back (e.g., same IMEI) with your data intact? Reason I ask is that 1) I'm having trouble backing up data 2) I don't want to see a fresh Android OS install on it (was rooted to utilize unlimited data hot spot). I was thinking of going to AT&T corporate store where there's a warranty center to exchange for another V10 (I think at this point they would have to order), but if sending to LG results getting the same phone back promptly, I'd rather do that than to get someone else's phone (refurbished) from AT&T. I currently have a tempered glass installed on the phone and I've been mostly unsuccessful trying to back up my phone and wipe it before sending my LG V10 to either AT&T or LG. BTW, when you all shipped out the phone, how did you package it to LG? Did you use the original LG V10 box?

I haven't gotten mine back yet, but the repair said it was a replacement main board so I presume it's the same unit with a new board in it now. I'll let you know when I get it back.

As for packaging, you could use the original box, I just took the back, battery, SIM card, and SD card out and bubble wrapped it up then put that in a small box I had and shipped it via the return RMA label LG gave me.

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I was really hoping this wouldn't happen to me but this morning after 14 months of using this phone: bootloop. However I am optimistic it will get repaired under warranty after keeping tabs on this thread.

kiragn01

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue and I just require a repair today. Can I know that will they ship back the device with all my data on it and they won't erase anything?? Thank you

kiragn01

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Well, overnight they sent me an email that they've shipped it back. Included is the repair information:

Defect:
Power-No power with cable Payment Type: NOT APPLICABLE
Repair Results:
Flash Memory Repair Cost: $ 0.00
Warranty Status:
In Warranty Tax: $ 0.00
Total: $ 0.00

I have the same issue and I just require a repair today. Can I know that will they ship back the device with all my data on it and they won't erase anything?? Thank you

cuckooc

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Can someone confirm that they got their Bootloop V10 repaired by LG for free even it is out of warranty?

Because LG will look at your phone is under warranty or not by
1. 1 year within the purchase date
2. 15 months within the manufacture date
For those poster who get their phone repair for free, can you check if you are still within 15 months of manufacture date?

I bought a H960A unlocked from B&H photo in April 2016. I was happy it is free of carriers' bloatwares and I use most of the LG apps. And now my phone got bootloop on 1/16/2017. I was just browsing the web and it froze for a minute and then restart, stuck at LG logo. So my phone is basically dead in 8 months of use.

I contacted LGUSA, and they told me they can't repair it because it is a European version and they don't have parts for it. I know B&H has their own 1 year limited warranty, so I contacted them to see if I can get it fixed. They told me I can send it back, and they will try to get it repaired and it will takes 8 weeks. I asked B&H, are they going to send it back to LG Europe for repair and they said no. They will send it to 3rd party company for repair in US. I think the chance to get it repaired without replacing the board is slim as 3rd party would not have the parts.

I am out of phone for next 2 months if I don't get another phone. This experience stop me to get anything from B&H if the warranty is provided by them and not the manufacturer. And B&H customer service is very bad, slow response and don't answer your question.

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
As you can see from my earlier posts, my phone was from Nov 2015 and I filled out a claim to fix a boot loop issue just over a week ago. I got it back yesterday and they replaced the mainboard and it is working like brand new again. (Was factory reset of course) I did NOT upload any proof of purchase on the form, simply put a date and the rest of the relevant info including mentioning the phrase 'boot loop' in the description. Printed out the RMA label and shipped it back to LG (TX, USA repair facility). They fixed it and shipped it back at no cost to me saying it was an in-warranty repair.

Mine was an AT&T model to be specific. I did not call or talk to anyone. Simply went to their web site and filled out a repair request.

cuckooc

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Fwait, thanks for your reply.

When you setup repair on LG website, you can skip providing proof of purchase. But I think you need to provide IMEI/ serial number to them. With that number, LG knows your phone's manufacture date. As I said before, LG provide warranty for 1. 1 year within purchase date or 2. 15 months within manufacture date.

Fwait, you said you bought your phone in Nov, 2015. So, this is about 15 months. Your phone might be manufactured about the same time. So LG consider it is under warranty.

You can input your serial number on website and check your phone's manufacture date. I got my V10 in April, 2016. And I check my phone, it is also manufactured in the same month.

hoang51

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Can someone confirm that they got their Bootloop V10 repaired by LG for free even it is out of warranty?

Because LG will look at your phone is under warranty or not by
1. 1 year within the purchase date
2. 15 months within the manufacture date
For those poster who get their phone repair for free, can you check if you are still within 15 months of manufacture date?

I bought a H960A unlocked from B&H photo in April 2016. I was happy it is free of carriers' bloatwares and I use most of the LG apps. And now my phone got bootloop on 1/16/2017. I was just browsing the web and it froze for a minute and then restart, stuck at LG logo. So my phone is basically dead in 8 months of use.

I contacted LGUSA, and they told me they can't repair it because it is a European version and they don't have parts for it. I know B&H has their own 1 year limited warranty, so I contacted them to see if I can get it fixed. They told me I can send it back, and they will try to get it repaired and it will takes 8 weeks. I asked B&H, are they going to send it back to LG Europe for repair and they said no. They will send it to 3rd party company for repair in US. I think the chance to get it repaired without replacing the board is slim as 3rd party would not have the parts.

I am out of phone for next 2 months if I don't get another phone. This experience stop me to get anything from B&H if the warranty is provided by them and not the manufacturer. And B&H customer service is very bad, slow response and don't answer your question.

You just became a victim of self uninformed consumer. When you bought an international version of the LG V10, specifically the European version (H960A), you're taking a risk with warranty. Consider this as a pricey lesson. But don't misunderstand me, I'm not here to talk down on you. It's just how business works. I'm guessing you paid for the LG V10 H960A at a lower price than say, a U.S. wireless carrier version, for example AT&T (H900).

You technically have an answer in front of you the whole time. Obviously, LG USA is under no obligation to fix your European LG V10. You also doubt B&H can't fix it because of inaccessible part(s). Why don't you just contact the European division of LG and get it fixed?

Something else you can look into is if you paid for the LG V10 with a credit card, look into product protection that a credit card usually provides. You'll have to dig into the fine prints and disclosures for that. Or call your credit card company and get a knowledgeable representative to tell you if you got protection.

cuckooc

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Hoang, I am not uninformed as you think. I have done all the homework before getting H960A. I am not getting this phone because of the price, so please stop assuming or imaging anything and try to play smart. I travel a lot between US and Asia, so I need a phone which can cover all the frequency that I need. Just don't trust the info on GSMarena, their frequency support info is not correct. The US version, H900(ATT), cover band 2,3,4,7,12,17. H960A supports band 1,2,3,4,5,7,12,17,28,38,(it is printed on my original V10 package). Band 1,3,4,7,12,17,38 are the frequency that I need. No US model can support that many frequency as H960A.

I know G4 bootloop issue before I get the v10. That is why I have been holding off getting a phone with similar spec. I have waited for 8 months and still no one report bootloop issue. I think LG has fixed the loose contact of component issue with the second batch of stock, as they has replaced H815 with US991. So I think V10 should be immune to bootloop. Also, H960A has 1 year warranty covered by a reputable company, B&H. I think I am safe if anything happens.

But I am wrong, LG does not care about their reputation, their 2nd batch, 3rd batch of stock are still plagued with bootloop issue. Also, I never think of B&H would take 2 months to try to repair my phone. I have Sony, Samsung repaired under warranty, it only take 10 days at most. But B&H takes 2 months, which is not a reasonable time frame.

I have already chatted with LG staff online and email back and forth. I have googled it and still could not find the country which can repair H960A. It seems Czeck, Germany and hungary handle it though, but still could not setup the repair on their website. So I just send it back to B&H and wait for 2 months and see.

cuckooc

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I want to know does LG really repair the phone with bootloop issue for free even without warranty?

If the phone is still within 15 months from manufacture date, LG still consider it is under warranty. Anyone here who gets their phone repair is 16 months old or older?

The manufacture date can be checked from here, https://imeidata.net/warranty/lg

cuckooc

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
If you want to know the manufacture date, just look at the serial number, it can be found at the back of the phone after taking out the battery.

The first 3 digits represent year and month. 604 means 2016 April, 508 means 2015 August,etc.

For those people who have repaired the V10 without warranty, could you please confirm that your phone's manufacture date? LG consider 15 months within is still under warranty. Anyone who has a 16 months old phone or older still get repair for free?