V10 way too long a wait for Nougat

Dave Fahy

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
LG's lack of quick updates for their high end phones is stopping me from looking at the LG G6 when it gets released. I have bought two LG phones in a row and enjoy getting timely updates. They need to support their current customers better to get any future business from me.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Why are you blaming LG? This is a carrier decision, period.

This is the nature of things when you choose to go with a carrier-branded phone that is guaranteed to work well with the carrier. If you like, you are free to buy unlocked phones directly from a phone manufacturer; LG doesn't play in that market in the US (neither does Samsung), but Apple and Google do (to name two).

Once you buy such a phone, you can address the manufacturer for updates. But right now, go to your carrier and complain--not to LG. They aren't in control of any of this.

fatproduce

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
This isn't just a carrier issue. I have heard NOTHING about the V10s in Korea getting Nougat yet. Whole what you say is very true when it comes to the carriers and updates. This is a bit different as LG hasn't updated the V10 from any region to Nougat yet. This is pretty frustrating.

Dave Fahy

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
LG is totally to blame. There is no V10 Nougat available anywhere. You could blame Verizon if the other carriers were releasing it. They need to support their phones. Stop making excuses for them. If it was a Verizon only issue there would be a website where we could load it manually. They need to support the phones for two years not just drop it after 6 months or making people wait 6 months for the updates.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
"expect nothing"?

I expect that the phone I bought works.

Where do you get your expectations that you are entitled to anything?

Can you show anything in writing where anyone promised you Nougat on any specific platform? Or do you simply pull your expectations out of thin air and then expect the world to deliver on things you imagined?

The simple fact is, when you bought your V10 no one committed to anything regarding it being anything other than what it was when you got it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would agree that we aren't entitled to updates unless LG has promised to deliver them, but I also would be very wary buying another phone if major devices are being ignored too long. Are they staying current on your monthly security updates?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why are you blaming LG? This is a carrier decision, period.

This is the nature of things when you choose to go with a carrier-branded phone that is guaranteed to work well with the carrier. If you like, you are free to buy unlocked phones directly from a phone manufacturer; LG doesn't play in that market in the US (neither does Samsung), but Apple and Google do (to name two).

Once you buy such a phone, you can address the manufacturer for updates. But right now, go to your carrier and complain--not to LG. They aren't in control of any of this.

How so?

LG develops the build.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
How so?

LG develops the build.

The decision to develop the software, which is different for each carrier, is the carrier's--not LG's. And yes, a Verizon V10 is different from a Sprint V10 is different from a T-Mobile V10...it's not just one phone.

LG can do anything they want. But the carrier decides what they want to happen, because it's a carrier-specific phone. Trust me, LG isn't developing software for free, out of the goodness of their hearts. And they aren't doing anything that the carrier doesn't want.

Your plumber roots the drain in your house, but he doesn't do it without your say-so.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
How so?

The manufacturer needs to work on the update.

But not without agreement with the carrier.

This is the difference between a mfr-unlocked phone, and a carrier phone.

A mfr-unlocked phone can get updates straight from the mfr--such as Google Pixel. OTOH, because it's not carrier-specific, it may lack bands/frequencies for a given carrier, or it may not have features like wifi calling, or visual voicemail, or any number of carrier-specific features. If the phone struggles on any given carrier's network, the carrier may or may not be able to support your use of that phone on their network. That's the tradeoff of a mfr-unlocked phone.

A carrier phone will have full support for all carrier features the day it's introduced, and you can get tech support for it from the carrier no matter what. But the carrier decides what they ask the mfr to do with respect to updates/upgrades.

I work in an industry not unlike this, with a product from a separate manufacturer being used as part of a larger OEM system full of OEM's gear. Said manufacturer and core product is also used by competing OEM systems. Yes, the mfr can do whatever they want--but the OEM that uses the product, determines what specific configuration of that product they want to use. The OEM also determines what upgrades/updates they want to make available.

The mfr of that particular product, being a vendor to the various OEMs, doesn't dictate to the larger OEMs what the OEMs are going to get. The OEMs specify, and the vendor supplies.

LG is in the same position. T-Mobile specifies what they want to buy, and LG sells it to them. LG does not dictate to T-Mobile what T-Mobile and its customers is going to get.

If T-Mobile decides not to buy the upgrade to Nougat, that's T-Mobile's decision as a buyer and not LG's decision as a seller. And LG doesn't sell to you and me, so LG doesn't care what you and I want in this regard. LG sells to T-Mobile (and AT&TV, etc), and what T-Mobile wants is the only thing that matters to them.

So to say "the manufacturer needs to work on the update", while technically true, isn't the story. The carrier needs to BUY the update first. Then and only then will LG work on it.

LG's business model is different than Apple's or Google's in this regard. Apple and Google have chosen to be completely independent of the carriers--but that comes with risk for the consumer.

The choice is simple: if your priority in life is instant upgrades the moment Google introduces the product, then get a Pixel phone that's outside the carrier world.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The decision to develop the software, which is different for each carrier, is the carrier's--not LG's. And yes, a Verizon V10 is different from a Sprint V10 is different from a T-Mobile V10...it's not just one phone.

LG can do anything they want. But the carrier decides what they want to happen, because it's a carrier-specific phone. Trust me, LG isn't developing software for free, out of the goodness of their hearts. And they aren't doing anything that the carrier doesn't want.

Your plumber roots the drain in your house, but he doesn't do it without your say-so.

Is there a non-carrier V10?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
How can you blame the carriers for things that they aren't responsible for?

I blame you for 9/11. See? I can make random claims on the internet, too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie