phone idle

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Bit of a silly question. I live where the 4g signal is poor. While at home I keep the data turned off so why is the idle still high (59% as of this posting)? (wifi connection is strong)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your overall signal isn't poor (i.e., including 2G/3G)? Or does your carrier use VoLTE (which uses 4G)?

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
@ B.Diddy I don't see anything that tells or shows me that Verizon uses VoLte so I'm no sure on that part. For most of my place it's 2 bars (4G is around 107dBM on average). When I look at the signal strength on gSam it shows low to low-med under the signal part of the app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Verizon's VoLTE is called "Advanced Calling." Try turning it off as discussed here.

Low to low-medium signal could certainly contribute to Cell Standby battery usage, although I agree that 59% is pretty excessive.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Verizon's VoLTE is called "Advanced Calling." Try turning it off as discussed here.

Low to low-medium signal could certainly contribute to Cell Standby battery usage, although I agree that 59% is pretty excessive.

Checking out the thread on advance calling. I do have that and the WiFi calling turned on. Would that contribute to the high % when data is turned off and using WiFi while in low signal areas? Thanks B.Diddy your advice is always great

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm just speculating here, but I would guess that if you have Advanced Calling on, then the phone would always be trying to latch onto an LTE signal, even if your mobile data is turned off. So if you turn off Advanced Calling, perhaps the phone won't expend as much energy trying to maintain the LTE signal -- but this assumes the 3G signal is better, and I'm not sure if that would be the case.

Even if your wi-fi is on, the phone will keep trying to maintain the cell signal unless you have Airplane Mode turned on.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm just speculating here, but I would guess that if you have Advanced Calling on, then the phone would always be trying to latch onto an LTE signal, even if your mobile data is turned off. So if you turn off Advanced Calling, perhaps the phone won't expend as much energy trying to maintain the LTE signal -- but this assumes the 3G signal is better, and I'm not sure if that would be the case.

Even if your wi-fi is on, the phone will keep trying to maintain the cell signal unless you have Airplane Mode turned on.

I turned off both services (had only hd calls activated) and will see if that makes any difference. I remember having both airplane and safe mode and would still lose % on battery.. So maybe it's something with the area or the phone. Luckily I have a second battery now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670