Android optimizing apps 1 of 1...

augeydoggy

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else stuck with this at startup? Message appears at boot on V10, and boot takes 15 min to complete. I found that the app Zedge (which I have never used) and Trucaller (which I have used) are culprits, and possibly Facebook and Messenger. I would like to identify other apps if anyone knows any.

I initially tried the standard repairs: wiped the cache, tried booting in safe mode, always with same result. Did a factory reset and was okay until I reinstalled apps, then again even in safe mode I got message. Finally I swapped for a refurb V10, thinking I had a firmware issue. Installed my apps, without Trucaller, and at first seemed okay. But then I did a restore to get back my app data and settings, and back to the message. So have done another reset, and this time I will reset everything manually. If that doesn't work, I'll get an iPhone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like Trucaller is the culprit.

Installed my apps, without Trucaller, and at first seemed okay. But then I did a restore to get back my app data and settings, and back to the message.

Have you tried again without adding this app?

augeydoggy

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Yes, completely eliminated it, removed from my Play Store library, wiped the phone's cache. After reinstall of other apps, things seemed to work. But on Restore for personal data, etc., error reoccurred. Something else seems to be stuck in there. Trying again without using restore - will know more in a couple of hours when apps finish reinstalling!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, completely eliminated it, removed from my Play Store library, wiped the phone's cache. After reinstall of other apps, things seemed to work. But on Restore for personal data, etc., error reoccurred. Something else seems to be stuck in there. Trying again without using restore - will know more in a couple of hours when apps finish reinstalling!
It wouldn't surprise me if some kind of error from the app went somewhere else that it wasn't supposed to. When you do the system restore, that broken file (saying for sake of argument) gets downloaded too, causing the issue.

Setting up the device as new is probably the best way to go. After a few weeks of this setup, the old one will probably be removed.

augeydoggy

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Yes, just installed a couple of more apps with no problem. Up to about a third of what I had. Uninstalled the Facebook App Manager which snuck in there even tho I don't use Facebook anymore... I'll report back if I have a problem.

thewatrb0y

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem. Zedge, TrueCaller I found were the culprits. Verizon wanted me to uninstall apps 1 at a time with a reboot each time to see what the culprit was. There was an additional app at some point that created an issue as well that i never figured out (possibly Facebook/Messenger.) Instead of trying to figure it out I went and purchased the Essential PH-1 on Amazon.

augeydoggy

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
And did you install all the same apps? My worry would be that it is not hardware related but some sort of app\Android system issue. Otherwise, would be nice to have a new Essential....

thewatrb0y

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
And did you install all the same apps? My worry would be that it is not hardware related but some sort of app\Android system issue. Otherwise, would be nice to have a new Essential....

I had no use for TrueCaller since its stock android and has the dialer app that blocks phone calls for me without root.

I have a majority of the same apps from my v10 on the essential now minus the LG World which was sideloaded and all of the fonts I installed from that.

I didnt really have a use for Zedge but I just installed it to test it for you. Rebooted after I installed and ran it. No issue at all.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for this thread; this just started with my V10 (Marshmallow) yesterday. Just over 10 minute bootups; "optimizing 1 app". Never had TruCaller or Zedge; I've uninstalled every app added during the past week or two, yet it's still happening. Anyone have other suggestions for what might need to be removed/cleaned? Thanks.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for this thread; this just started with my V10 (Marshmallow) yesterday. Just over 10 minute bootups; "optimizing 1 app". Never had TruCaller or Zedge; I've uninstalled every app added during the past week or two, yet it's still happening. Anyone have other suggestions for what might need to be removed/cleaned? Thanks.

Hoping to save others some time... After three days of investigating and factory-resetting, finally narrowed this down to the "MyFitnessPal" app. It's a known bug that they're working on remedying. I'm guessing that several apps are producing this problem, but MFP, (apparently along with the Zedge and Trucall mentioned above), is one of them!

Russell Levine

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 running 6.0.1. This issue only started two days ago for me. I've had the phone for years. I've had the same apps for years. I can't figure out what, all of a sudden, has changed.

So I don't have Trucaller or Zedge (I checked the Play Store and my Application Manager), which seem to be the solution in almost all cases. I don't have MyFitnessPal which I also saw as a possible problem app.

People suggest uninstalling facebook, but I can't. I can only uninstall updates. Which I figured I'd try because maybe a recent update was causing it, but this changed nothing. I can't uninstall Messenger either! Only Disable or Force Stop!

I have years of apps on my phone, data, settings... Am I to believe that one day, one of my apps decided to optimize every time I restarted, for no reason? And of course testing 1 app at a time when I have maybe hundreds, each restart taking 10 minutes, is untenable. Are there no markers, indicators, that suggest any particular KIND of app? Why Zedge? Or Trucaller? I don't have them, but what is it about them that caused this all of a sudden? Something I can use to pare down the culprits?

Glad to hear it's not just me having this issue, but since everyone else's solution is not mine, it kind of feels like it is.

UPDATE! Some other board mentioned to stop charging your phone after restarting. Check the battery usage as soon as the phone starts. The only two things that took up battery life will be the screen display and the app in question!

It wasn't a NEWLY installed app that was messing things up. It wasn't some preinstalled garbage either. It was a free game that I didn't really play, so it's gone now. So instead of guessing and uninstalling everything or factory resetting, just check the battery usage after restarting and "optimizing!"

Last edited:

zoomjeep3

Jun 8, 2018
Visit site
To the V10 owner(s) seeing this thread.

My same problem started about May 10th. Never was able to figure out the problem, but after deleting every single app except firmware I knew I was in trouble.

After several weeks of the problem, it finally went into the well known well documented bootloop issue.

I don't think this is fully a software issue. From the start we see that it is the Android OS having to reconfigure itself (app 1 of 1) because it is recognizing the faulty connection on the motherboard.

I can't speak for the Samsung owners, but it appears the failure rate for the LG version of the Snapdragon 808 processor is 100% unless you have LG do the proper replacement of the processor (warranty was extended which will cover the repair cost for some, otherwise they charge around $109 to keep your phone for about a week, and when returned, voila you won't see the error message ever again. You are likely at the beginning of the end...and it's a quick end.

If one day you find your phone has restarted after doing the Optimizing App 1 of 1 welcome to the last days.

Good luck.

Northmichigander

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
I want to thank Augeydoggy for posting this thread! My wife has been having the same issue and we had tried everything short of factory reboot. We did not want to do the factory reboot because of the problems that go with doing that. After reading this thread I asked her if she has Zedge - she said yes. I uninstalled it, then deleted from her my apps list on Google Play. After I did a batter hard restart, it immediately started up in less than a minute!

va1mar

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Holy Moly!
Made an account here just to thank you guys!.
Did a lot of fruitless internet searching, and factory resets, and deleting bunches of apps and stuff.
After seeing on here that zedge and myfitnesspal were culprits I deleted them.
My start time went from 18 minutes to less than 1.
I can't thank you enough!

Don Pro

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
UPDATE! Some other board mentioned to stop charging your phone after restarting. Check the battery usage as soon as the phone starts. The only two things that took up battery life will be the screen display and the app in question!

It wasn't a NEWLY installed app that was messing things up. It wasn't some preinstalled garbage either. It was a free game that I didn't really play, so it's gone now. So instead of guessing and uninstalling everything or factory resetting, just check the battery usage after restarting and "optimizing!"

thanks for the suggestion. In my case the culprit was google photoes !

sig998

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
This is a bug in dexopt. Sometimes it crashes, not being able to produce the optimized oat file. This causes PackageManager to invoke it again and again on each boot.

Run "adb logcat > log.txt" while booting and look for a line containing dex2oat.

For me too it happened with the Google Photos app.

Gamblinman

May 23, 2020
Visit site
After trying all the different ways recommended to cure this problem which none seemed to work was to reset my tablet to factory version and reinstall all my apps again with the exception of playstore and obtain my apps through aptoid.
Works perfectly now..so don't use Google playstore and the associated downloads associated with it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781