plastic film vs glass screen protectors

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I always used plastic film type. I actually always liked the matte better.

I was wondering which you prefer and why? Thanks

PS.....I don't believe in expensive screen protectors. I always go to eBay and get 5 or 6 for under 5 bucks... Unless there is something I don't know bad about that you can tell me?

sgtd

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I've used both and much prefer the tempered glass. It's more scratch resistant and to me they just feel better than the film type protectors.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I liked tempted glass because my fingers would often "chatter" when sliding across plastic matte protectors. But here lately, I'm running completely without. My G4 screen is scratch free and had it almost a year now. I'm thinking about skipping it on the V20 too.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'll go with glass if you find decent quality. Be careful, the LG v20 top and bottom are little curved. The adhesive might just suck. Check this dude reviews out. I'm holding out on temper glass for now, I mean this phone came with screen protection pre-installed.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Shield-Te...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5506668

I saw the screen protector installed on the unboxing reviews and was hoping it came with one installed on the retail version. I started a thread asking if a screen protector came installed and a few said no, so I hope att gets it. Thank you

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I prefer glass because it feels better under my finger. Plastic is ok, but it doesn't feel as smooth as glass.

Also you mentioned not trying the expensive screen protectors. Did you know that many of the expensive screen protectors come with a lifetime warranty? If it ever breaks, scratches, or peels up, you can contact customer service and get a free replacement. I know both Zagg and Armour Shield offers this. I think there are a couple other brands that I am forgetting.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I prefer glass because it feels better under my finger. Plastic is ok, but it doesn't feel as smooth as glass.

Also you mentioned not trying the expensive screen protectors. Did you know that many of the expensive screen protectors come with a lifetime warranty? If it ever breaks, scratches, or peels up, you can contact customer service and get a free replacement. I know both Zagg and Armour Shield offers this. I think there are a couple other brands that I am forgetting.

But isn't out like $10 shipping fees or something? I could buy 6 new ones for that if that is true...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Tempered glass crumbles when it breaks, Gorilla Glass breaks into sharp shards. They're the same hardness, so tempered glass is no more scratch resistant. (A plastic protector actually cushions the Gorilla Glass just a bit, protecting it from breaking, and at 3/$10, or thereabouts, it's a lot cheaper [although my current one is 3 years old, and still not scratched] to replace if you scratch it.)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I always used plastic film type. I actually always liked the matte better.

I was wondering which you prefer and why? Thanks

PS.....I don't believe in expensive screen protectors. I always go to eBay and get 5 or 6 for under 5 bucks... Unless there is something I don't know bad about that you can tell me?

Plastic PET film screen protectors often gather fingerprints much easier and scratches easily so you have to replace them on a monthly basis unless you're OK with a scratched up screen protector. Glass protectors last much longer and is easier to install and maintain. You can find them on eBay for a few bucks. The LG V10 glass screen protector actually fits and costs a little cheaper than the V20.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Plastic PET film screen protectors often gather fingerprints much easier and scratches easily so you have to replace them on a monthly basis unless you're OK with a scratched up screen protector. Glass protectors last much longer and is easier to install and maintain. You can find them on eBay for a few bucks. The LG V10 glass screen protector actually fits and costs a little cheaper than the V20.

That's what I ended up using....V10 but I get a halo at the top. :(