V20 w/ Samsung Gear S3 Frontier

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So I got the S3 Frontier LTE with AT&T and thought I should let folks know that pretty much all functionality works well with the V20 although Samsung Pay is not available like some reported it would be. I have decided to go back to my S7 Edge to get the Samsung Pay functionality back and just use my V20 as my secondary device. I'm a huge fan of Samsung Pay and one of the major things that I have missed with moving away from Samsung because of the whole Note 7 situation and was really hoping to get Samsung Pay back with the S3 Frontier and continue using the V20. Hopefully they add this in the near future as Samsung Pay is separated into the Gear app for the S3 and does not sync with Samsung Pay App on the S7 Edge.

Edit: I guess there is supposed to be an update in the near future to add Samsung Pay to the Gear app for non Samsung devices. I hope that comes soon but I will not hold my breath.

Last edited:

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Another V20 and S3 user here. Numbersync works fine and no problems from an AT&T perspective.

According to recent Twitter posts the Gear update should be rolling out today to enable Samsung Pay for non-Samsung devices. More information over in the S3 forum.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the LTE S3? If so, how is it working as a standalone device?
I do have the LTE but I've only been able to try it as a stand alone device while still synced to my device phone number. So I would leave my phone in my car and I can still send/receive calls and texts as my device phone number. Samsung Pay worked fine too.

I haven't used it as a stand alone device without being syncd or paired to my device.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Do you have the LTE S3? If so, how is it working as a standalone device?

I've had the LTE Frontier for a week now and have used it standalone a few times. So far so good. I have AT&T with Numbersync enabled and it's working well.

I ran some errands on Thanksgiving and left both my phone and wallet at home. As I left my house I got a notification that my Bluetooth signal was lost and the S3 automatically switch to LTE. I kept getting notifications without issue.

It's obviously a smaller screen so you have that with any watch. But the convenience of the device is great. Samsung pay worked fine for me at the grocery self check out. I was able to stay in contact with my wife as I was shopping. All in all it was a great experience.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I do have the LTE but I've only been able to try it as a stand alone device while still synced to my device phone number. So I would leave my phone in my car and I can still send/receive calls and texts as my device phone number. Samsung Pay worked fine too.

I haven't used it as a stand alone device without being syncd or paired to my device.
I actually have a separate number for my old Gear S (TMO), but that device doesn't work as a standalone with anything but Samsung. It worked great, so I was curious about the S3. My TMO account is suspended until I reactivate it. So I have the same independent number and will still only cost $10/mo. Thanks for the info.

ADDENDUM: I just ordered the S3 Frontier through TMO Care and the service (LTE) is only going to cost me $5/mo. because I already have a Simple Choice with them. Since I already have the service and the SIM from my old Gear S, I won't even have to pay for the SIM kit and can re-activate my service myself when the watch arrives.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I actually have a separate number for my old Gear S (TMO), but that device doesn't work as a standalone with anything but Samsung. It worked great, so I was curious about the S3. My TMO account is suspended until I reactivate it. So I have the same independent number and will still only cost $10/mo. Thanks for the info.
Yeah I have an i dependent number as well but like jsk stated above I also use AT&T NumberSync to keep it the same as my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX