Official Launch Date - Sept 6 confirmed

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
LG is already moving up the v20 compared to the v10 last year. I believe the v10 was released on Verizon on 10/30 last year when I picked it up. Since the v20 is shipping with nougat, I doubt they could release it any sooner than they already are. Trust me, LG is cognizant of the releases of the note 7 and new iPhones.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
LG is cognizant of the releases of the note 7 and new iPhones.
Since advance press for the new iPhone has shifted to lowering expectations for 2016 and making grand promises for 2017, LG may have finally lucked into a good release window for the V20. Almost too perfect since in some ways it's like the missing link between the Note 7 and the 2016 Nexi: a phablet running 7.0 that's not defined by an Office-style idea of productivity.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Since advance press for the new iPhone has shifted to lowering expectations for 2016 and making grand promises for 2017, LG may have finally lucked into a good release window for the V20. Almost too perfect since in some ways it's like the missing link between the Note 7 and the 2016 Nexi: a phablet running 7.0 that's not defined by an Office-style idea of productivity.

Realistically, this is still the toughest release window you could imagine for the v20. The note 7 pre orders appear to be through the roof and the iPhone will still sell more units it's first day than the v20 will throughout it's lifetime. I don't think many people who were planning on upgrading to an iPhone 7 will jump ship to Android in the first place, let alone the v20.

That being said, I'm hopeful that the v20 gets enough things right this time around to be a hit for LG. They need one pretty badly.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Realistically, this is still the toughest release window you could imagine for the v20. The note 7 pre orders appear to be through the roof and the iPhone will still sell more units it's first day than the v20 will throughout it's lifetime. I don't think many people who were planning on upgrading to an iPhone 7 will jump ship to Android in the first place, let alone the v20.

That being said, I'm hopeful that the v20 gets enough things right this time around to be a hit for LG. They need one pretty badly.

Different people need different phones at different times if they are on a contract so they still have a chance at capturing or retaining some LG customers.

Posted via the Android Central App

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Different people need different phones at different times if they are on a contract so they still have a chance at capturing or retaining some LG customers.

No doubt. That can be said about any release date throughout the year, but the v20's happens to coincide with the note 7 launch and iPhone 7 announcement which definitely doesn't help. The g5 got trampled by the s7 this year and now you have the iPhone to contend with as well.

The s7 did a lot of things right, but LG really handed it to them with the mistakes they made with the g5. I don't think they'll make those same mistakes with the v20 and hopefully they can sway some people that would've otherwise gone with Samsung.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No doubt. That can be said about any release date throughout the year, but the v20's happens to coincide with the note 7 launch and iPhone 7 announcement which definitely doesn't help. The g5 got trampled by the s7 this year and now you have the iPhone to contend with as well.

The s7 did a lot of things right, but LG really handed it to them with the mistakes they made with the g5. I don't think they'll make those same mistakes with the v20 and hopefully they can sway some people that would've otherwise gone with Samsung.

Some good points.....I do see a lot of unhappy Edge users though. They either loved it or hate it and not everyone wants a new note including a lot of note 4 and some note 5 users. I won't even entertain the note 7.....too high priced and I want a removable battery when possible. If the V20 doesnt live up to my expectations I'll stick with G5 and see what Nexus brings.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Some good points.....I do see a lot of unhappy Edge users though. They either loved it or hate it and not everyone wants a new note including a lot of note 4 and some note 5 users. I won't even entertain the note 7.....too high priced and I want a removable battery when possible. If the V20 doesnt live up to my expectations I'll stick with G5 and see what Nexus brings.

That's the boat I'm in. The s7 edge has the best screen and camera I've ever had on a phone but I hate the edges and miss the replaceable battery and screen size of my v10. While I think LG's ui is ugly, it's fast as hell compared to touchwiz on the g5 units I've played around with. No way am I gonna drop $900 on a bigger edge with a pen.

Quick question, does LG have a theme engine built into their ui now like touchwiz does?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's the boat I'm in. The s7 edge has the best screen and camera I've ever had on a phone but I hate the edges and miss the replaceable battery and screen size of my v10. While I think LG's ui is ugly, it's fast as hell compared to touchwiz on the g5 units I've played around with. No way am I gonna drop $900 on a bigger edge with a pen.

Quick question, does LG have a theme engine built into their ui now like touchwiz does?

I've seen that mentioned in smart world but do not see it on my G5...I have the Verizon unit.....it might only be for the G4. I'm running Nova prime because it was on sale so,i use that. Best 99 cents I ever spent

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

I'm totally with you. I have the S7 Edge which I gave up my V10 for. The screen, camera and battery are the best things about the phone. I'm not a fan of the edge screen and I never use the edge features. I was hoping Samsung would not go the curved screen route with the Note 7 but they have...maybe not as pronounced as the S7E but it's there and I just can't justify spending $200 more for it. That's why I'm hoping LG delivers with the V20.

As for theme store, LG does have one. It's limited on selection at least when I used it on the V10 earlier this year. Maybe they've expanded upon it since.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
the iPhone will still sell more units it's first day than the v20 will throughout it's lifetime.
For sure. There's no way to stem that tide unless Apple does the unimaginable and falls flat on its face next month, and even then LG couldn't hope to grab much of Apple's market share no matter what they released. Still, assuming advance press is on point, the iPhone should be far less a distraction than usual and may also have a more difficult time itself pulling focus away from the Note 7 (or even the new Nexi if Google started making the right kind of noise about them).

IMO, LG just needs to stay out of its own way since they can't go head to head with Apple and Samsung. As long as they can distance the V20 from the marketing failure of the G5, they've got a shot at regaining some respect for their brand. And that quad DAC announcement was a good step in the right direction of capturing attention by capitalizing on their own strengths.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
"Play More" could be implying the phone is going to be more durable than the V10....possibly water resistant? The V10 had those steel rails along the side that helped protect the phone if you dropped it. Maybe they bumped of the durability factor of the V20?
If water resistance causes speaker to sound like Note 7 pray it doesn't happen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia