The LG V20 will be the first phone with a 32 bit Quad DAC

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The V20's audio is gonna step all over the competition especially for audiophiles and people who appreciate great wired sound via a 3.5mm jack and not that Moto Z nonsense. They are headed in the right direction.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Great news. I went from the V10 to the G5, and the first thing I noticed was how poor the audio quality dropped in the G5. It truly was noticeable. It was like going from FM to AM radio! Can't wait for the V20 so I can get the quality back.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
At one point I had considered getting a G5 and getting the DAC "friend". The fact that it was so expensive and then unavailable changed those plans.
This could be a great motivation to get the V20. It's going to be between this and the new Nexus for me I think. I really hope LG knocks this out of the park.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone explain why a QUAD DAC is needed for Stereo Earphones? I understand how 4 channel stereo, with 4 speakers might benefit, but that also requires 4 channel Source material ? Almost all my music, expect for some Blu-ray and DVD is ordinary 2 channel stereo.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone explain why a QUAD DAC is needed for Stereo Earphones? I understand how 4 channel stereo, with 4 speakers might benefit, but that also requires 4 channel Source material ? Almost all my music, expect for some Blu-ray and DVD is ordinary 2 channel stereo.

Hard to say at this point exactly what "quad" means. It could be some type of oversampling or up-sampline used in the process... but historically I don't think ESS - saber is very forthcoming about that. Until someone can take it apart and see exactly what DAC chip and supporting chip-set, and ESS discloses how it samples the data in there its anyones guess.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't take the word "quad" literally. It more likely refers to the controls or processing the DAC will offer for two regular stereo channels. See if enoch861's comments to this Android Police article seem reasonable:

LG V20 to feature 32-bit Quad DAC by ESS

From what I've read, a few too many people who write for techgeek sites like AC or AP are being a might too kneejerk dismissive of the idea of a "Quad DAC" before the fact when their alleged journalist instincts should be telling them to wait and watch and report later.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The hifi DAC on the V10 is already great so if its better it should be mind blowing with a nice set of wired headphones.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The '32 bit' thing is such a selling gimmick.
I'm not so sure about it being a gimmick. Audio from headphones on the V10 are the best I've ever heard on a smartphone. It may end up being a gimmick though but what phone doesn't come with a few gimmicks or claims about a certain feature?

daryllh

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so sure about it being a gimmick. Audio from headphones on the V10 are the best I've ever heard on a smartphone. It may end up being a gimmick though but what phone doesn't come with a few gimmicks or claims about a certain feature?

What I meant was the ability to distinguish 32 bit audio versus 24 or even 16 bit. There may be a mechanical reason for it that I'm not aware of but advertising 32 bit audio is similar to phone manufacturers boasting pixel density. So, in regards to the last sentence in your comment, you are correct.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
True. I don't think the average person will notice or care but I guess it's just one thing to say that separates it from other phones.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
What I meant was the ability to distinguish 32 bit audio versus 24 or even 16 bit. There may be a mechanical reason for it that I'm not aware of but advertising 32 bit audio is similar to phone manufacturers boasting pixel density. So, in regards to the last sentence in your comment, you are correct.
Add long as it sounds better then they can call it what they want...124bit audio lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance