Excited about this phone!

Flapalms239

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
TL: DR -
Had a Droid Razr, horrible experience vowed to never have another Android device. Reconsidering now...

Hey everyone. My contract is up at the end of October. Currently have an IPhone 5s.

I'd really like to have a bigger screen. After doing some research it seems like the V10 was a pretty awesome phone and this one seems like it might be worth checking out. I'm just curious if any of you went from iOS to Android and if any of the guys here can explain how they plan to carry a phone this large in their pocket.

It's crazy to me how Android phones have lots and lots of cool features yet iPhones don't. I just don't want another experience like I had the last time I tried Android :-(

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I'm sorry that your first Android experience wasn't a good one! I can understand how it would colour your view of the platform; but all platforms/products can be wonky; or can foster experiences that may not always be optimal. That being said, I definitely get what you're saying: you don't want to invest in a phone that may give you a negative experience. That's what return policies are for! ;)

On to the V20. I have an LG device myself (a G3); and have heard many, many good things about the V10 - the V20's predecessor. IMO, the V10 is one of the most underrated devices out there. Check out their forum section - there are a lot of users there who praise it. Sure, like any phone, the V10 and V20 will/do have faults; but you have to measure those against their pros. I, too, am very excited about the V20's release - I'd love to get my hands on it!

One good thing to do is to wait and see what the V20 is like post-release. When new phones come out, they'll have some bugs/growing pains; so I'd wait a little bit for LG to work out the kinks, so to speak; watch unboxing/review videos on YouTube (watch for Android Authority, as well; as they are a good source of info in addition to Android Central); and then see if that is the phone you would like to purchase.

As far as size, I *think* the V20 is bigger than my G3, which is 5.5". The V10 is bigger than my G3 as well, I'm pretty sure - the exact specs elude me at this moment. To answer your question, I don't often put phones in my pockets (I have a purse for that!); but my G3 does fit in my pants' back pockets when it needs to. Look out for slim, skin cases that won't add any more bulk to your device if you do go the bigger-phone route.

As for switching from iOS to Android, I am sorry, but I cannot help you out there. However, I have friends who have done the reverse - Android to iOS - and the transition was not very difficult. Give yourself a few days to one week or more of getting used to the OS, layout, etc.; and you'll be fine!

Again, welcome to Android Central! And if you decide to stick with your iPhone, you're definitely more than welcome to hang out here with us! :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
TL: DR -
Had a Droid Razr, horrible experience vowed to never have another Android device. Reconsidering now...

Hey everyone. My contract is up at the end of October. Currently have an IPhone 5s.

I'd really like to have a bigger screen. After doing some research it seems like the V10 was a pretty awesome phone and this one seems like it might be worth checking out. I'm just curious if any of you went from iOS to Android and if any of the guys here can explain how they plan to carry a phone this large in their pocket.

It's crazy to me how Android phones have lots and lots of cool features yet iPhones don't. I just don't want another experience like I had the last time I tried Android :-(

Some of the earlier Droids were wonky. I left a Droid Maxx for the LG G5 and the phone is fabulous. I hate the IPhone 5s that I use from time to time as a spare. Screen size is horrible and I hate how you are locked down on IPhone and locked in to ITunes and the AppStore.

Flapalms239

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey Morty! Thanks for the very well thought out friendly response! I've read the forums for a while now and everyone here seems to be very helpful. I have the time due to my contract so I'll be patient and see what this phone brings to the table and what the reviews look like 👍😊

Flapalms239

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Screen size and additional features are what is tempting me to ditch Apple. As far as locked down that's what I like about iOS. Everything is guaranteed to work and work well. That's why iPhones don't have 4-6 gb of ram and huge processors. They don't need it. Benchmark tests frequently show Apple devices are faster than Android. Real world though nobody is going to notice a few extra milliseconds. What are some examples of ways you use your phone that if it was locked down you wouldn't be able to?

Wonky would be an understatement lol. I missed calls, took minutes to send one text etc because the droid Razr would just hang. I frequently had to factory reboot the thing just so it would be usable again.

iPhone 7 will have a bigger screen than my 5S but it seems for the money I can get a larger screen with more options on Android.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Also explore Samsung's phones, the S7 family. The S7 Note is a stunner! Samsung provides a great Transfer app called 'Samsung Smart Switch' which had a great way to transfer all (or at least most..lol) of your data from your iPhone to Android including your text messages. That may be a consideration. I do not think LG has a data transfer solution for iPhone; just Android to the LG. At a minimum, you should be able to get you contacts/pictures/videos from the iPhone if you pick a phone other than Samsung. Another consideration is if you are looking for an integrated watch solution. The Samsung Gear S2 is great; LG Urbane is just as nice. Disclosure, I have the LG G3 - and love it!

Last edited:

Flapalms239

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Awesome thanks! As far as contacts go that may be my only issue. If I log into my gmail account I'm guessing all my contacts I had when I had an Android phone would migrate over. Just would be a hot mess since those contacts are so old. Might be time to clean house a little in regard to contacts.

As far as videos and pictures I already backup to google photos so I. That regard I should be good 👍

The Galaxy devices look really nice for sure!

So you have an S3 and it still works well!? That's a testament in and of itself. Still get updates and stuff?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Also explore Samsung's phones, the S7 family. The S7 Note is a stunner! Samsung provides a great Transfer app called 'Samsung Smart Switch' which had a great way to transfer all (or at least most..lol) of your data from your iPhone to Android including your text messages. That may be a consideration. I do not think LG has a data transfer solution for iPhone; just Android to the LG. At a minimum, you should be able to get you contacts/pictures/videos from the iPhone if you pick a phone other than Samsung. Another consideration is if you are looking for an integrated watch solution. The Samsung Gear S2 is great; LG Urbane is just as nice. Disclosure, I have the LG G3 - and love it!

It is recommended to avoid Samsung Smart Switch. It works, but people say it leaves the phone lagging than a clean setup

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Curious about Samsung Smart Switch causing lagging after use. It just copies files from one phone to the next. It's an app. The Samsung Smart Switch is the best app ever for transferring, especially for those that are not technically savvy. Samsung Smart Switch should be a standalone app, to be used to perform all brand phones transfers, IMHO. Samsung Smart Switch is the gold standard of what it does transfer.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

There are a lot of data transfer solutions out there if you look

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the Urbane 2. Upgraded from my OG Moto 360. Great device and battery life is awesome. Someone actually asked if it was an S2. Can't believe they are still pushing that Tizen brand.

If you wait a bit, you might be able to get one with 2.0 installed. I would recommend this, just so you can skip the transition. I'm personally not looking forward to the update. I'm honestly just a little tempted to avoid updating my watch

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Curious about Samsung Smart Switch causing lagging after use. It just copies files from one phone to the next. It's an app. The Samsung Smart Switch is the best app ever for transferring, especially for those that are not technically savvy. Samsung Smart Switch should be a standalone app, to be used to perform all brand phones transfers, IMHO. Samsung Smart Switch is the gold standard of what it does transfer.

It is going around the Note 7 forums that Samsung Smart Switch leaves the Note 7 with additional lag. It's better to start clean.