Is the screen flat or curved ?

toyopl

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Can't figure out from video if the screen is flat or curved.
Want to buy this only if I can install tempered glass protector on the whole screen.
Working in construction trade and tempered glass protectors saved my phones many times :)

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks flat to me.
976c77af50dba2a2e3143de93d62ec98.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Want to buy this only if I can install tempered glass protector on the whole screen.
Working in construction trade and tempered glass protectors saved my phones many times :)

Does tempered glass actually prevent the screen from shattering or does it protect from scratches?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Does tempered glass actually prevent the screen from shattering or does it protect from scratches?
High prevent rate. From my experience on my stupid tile kitchen floor.

Has saved about 3 iPhone screens and 3-4 G3 and G4 screens combined. Shattered the glass screen protector but not the phones screen.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
High prevent rate. From my experience on my stupid tile kitchen floor.

Has saved about 3 iPhone screens and 3-4 G3 and G4 screens combined. Shattered the glass screen protector but not the phones screen.

But would the screen shatter without it

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And then there's this.

https://youtu.be/3DSM2bwXgu4

Personally, I think you'd be better served by a protective case in preventing cracked screens than a screen protector. Those will not only protect the screen with raised lips, but cushion edge and back impacts that can also crack a screen.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think you'd be better served by a protective case in preventing cracked screens than a screen protector. Those will not only protect the screen with raised lips, but cushion edge and back impacts that can also crack a screen.

I agree. I think if you want the ultimate protection both are required. But glass is funny, it can break no matter what you do..........:eek:

Free Con

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site

Yes, I've had the V20 for a few days now through Verizon, and the top and bottom where the glass ends does start to curve downward very slightly. However I do not know whether this curve is significant enough to prevent the tempered glass from andhering or not. I'm wondering this myself. I don't know why reputable companies would come out with them if they didn't work, but I'm not going to order one until I know for sure.

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
The V20 DOES have a slight curve toward the top bottom. I'm writing this reply on one.

Yes. However, this is purely aesthetic. The glass curves outside of the TFT LCD screens, both primary and secondary, meaning that for both screens, it is completely flat the area that covers rhe fields of vision.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The top and bottom portion has a slight curve. According to what others are saying about the glass screen protectors, it seems as if it covers the actual main screen, but not the entire 2nd screen portion? We need a V20 owner to confirm.

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
The top and bottom portion has a slight curve. According to what others are saying about the glass screen protectors, it seems as if it covers the actual main screen, but not the entire 2nd screen portion? We need a V20 owner to confirm.

Correct. Flat tempered glass screen protectors are having some difficulty with the slight curvature at the very top and very bottom of the panel. (Again, note, this has nothing to do with the display itself -- which is completely flat -- just the glass on top of the display, and out of the field of vision.) You can solve this by securing a glass protector that is a bit on the short side, focusing instead on the main and secondary displays, and not on the entire glass panel; or, by going with a malleable film.