LG Dropped the ball

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think release dates have a lot more to them than just taking advantage of random opportunities. For whatever reason the V20 is not ready for prime time.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I think release dates have a lot more to them than just taking advantage of random opportunities. For whatever reason the V20 is not ready for prime time.

I agree. LG presumably moved the launch of the V20 up two months to begin with, 10 months after the 10. To expect them to be able to move it up further is rather silly.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
But you have to take LG's history into account as well. They are terrible at this. And why hype up and pump something up that's not ready? You make sure your product is ready and then you hype it up and launch in a timely fashion. HTC, Samsung, and of course Apple have been far better at launching phones than LG as of late. They did much better with the V10 launch actually.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Then perhaps the launch should have been the first week of October- have a release date, pricing, and build and sustain hype a few weeks. What LG has done makes no sense and seems unprofessional from a marketing 101 standpoint.

They launched in the same window as the iPhone and Note 7 and are not even releasing until late October. They did not even hit their "third quarter" general statement. Not seeing anyway to spin this in LGs favor. LG as the OP points out- dropped the ball. Heck, they dropped it and it rolled away.

Devil13n

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
2 weeks from announcement to launch is normal.

We're at 2 weeks from announcement and still have no idea when launch is.

No 10 month excuse either. Samsung went from mid-October with the Note 4 to late-August for Note 5.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But you have to take LG's history into account as well. They are terrible at this. And why hype up and pump something up that's not ready? You make sure your product is ready and then you hype it up and launch in a timely fashion. HTC, Samsung, and of course Apple have been far better at launching phones than LG as of late. They did much better with the V10 launch actually.

Would you still be waiting for it if they didn't mention it all?

None of this matters unless you are without a phone or are approaching a return window for something you already purchased.

Make no mistake I want this phone in my hands just as bad as everyone else. The difference is I'm willing to and can afford to wait. I would rather wait then have them release it prematurely. I could care less if this cost them a few sales or if it's poor marketing on their part. I am going to buy this phone because I like what see. I will hate giving up the feel of the G5 because it fits in hand so well. By comparison the V20 is a behemoth, but I look forward to the 5.7 screen and the DAC.... Hope they toss in those high end ear buds.

On a separate topic.... I wish LG made a decent VR unit and threw that in as well, but that ain't happening.

Last edited:

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Would you still be waiting for if they didn't mention it all?
None of this matters unless you are without a phone or are approaching a return window for something you already purchased.
Make no mistake I want this phone in my hands just as bad as everyone else. The difference is I'm willing to and can afford to wait.

My sentiments exactly.............:D

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Would you still be waiting for it if they didn't mention it all?
Yes I would but I would be waiting to see the phone which means my excitement level would still be high and I would still be anticipating it. When you keep telling people watch this watch this. And you finally show it to them and then don't let them know when or how much they can get it for its just like popping a balloon. You get that "I waited all this time for this" feeling as opposed to them withholding the launch and maybe waiting to hype it up, announce it WITH pricing and/or release date, and then having it available. No matter how we look at it, it's just bad and when you're already not the top selling manufacturer it just looks bad. It looks even worse for the people that actually want the product. But alas, I'll stick around and wait. Mind you we still don't have anything confirmed from LG and carriers yet. It's not so much the waiting that I don't like it's the waiting with no information and LG's continued marketing strategy of trying to keep the V20 in the spotlight while still withholding all information regarding the phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I meant would you still be waiting for if you didn't know anything at all?
I admit that it sucks that they provide little information however they have planted the seed.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The point is not about the die hard fans (mean that in a good way), but consumers in general to make the device a success. Having a launch in the same window as iPhone and Note 7 and then release seven weeks later (when consumers actually probably have in hands) defies marketing logic to optimize sales. They launch should have been two weeks before shipping and no more. They obviously were not sure (missed third Q they stated), so why not schedule after the other devices hype?

Not even sure LG had a ball to drop. Perhaps a melon?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, to make matters worse for you the manufacturers don't set their announcement and release dates based on when you wanted the phone...
I want the 2025 Corvette tomorrow... LOL

marcelcabrerajr

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
the v10 IMO was the most underrated smartphone in 2015. Even some of the top competitor review companies didn't even give it a score rating which I found odd. As a professional photographer and cinematographer, the quality and features Combined of the camera for that year's release is unmatched, especially in the cinematography department with the Cinematic 24p mode! Was tired of using Filmic Pro, that was best suited for an iPhone and only had half the features working for some of my other android phones such as the s7 edge or when I had the note 7. On top of that, the audio recording was amazing.

Now with the V20.. what a well thought of and amazing upgrade! yah there are some quibbles about screen choice, lack of front facing speakers on a highly acclaimed top notch audio converting/recording/sounding phone, battery mah small increase, not waterproof or water resistant, Lack of Dual Pixel Phase Detection Autofocus like the Galaxy Line (that may be exclusively patent pending to Samsung) etc.. but when you weigh out the pros and cons against the competition.. the Pros outweigh the cons.. and i feel LG is playing the marketing game smart by giving soooo many Pre-Production Review Units to be reviewed by many of the top smartphone reviewers/vloggers/bloggers in the industry even after their first Official Apple-Esque style Launch that also took place in San Francisco 1 day before the iPhone 7 and until recently without an official release date for weeks... though LG has received heavy criticism for not taking advantage of the recent downfall of Samsung and their flagship Note 7 Worldwide recall... they looked passed it because they BELIEVE in their product and are entertaining a Niche market. I believe all the reviewers are giving LG all the right feedback they need to finalize and correct as much of the negative feedback they can that is possible in order to have a very well planned out release. Many people will disagree with me.. but sometimes.. you need to take a step back.. put yourselves in their shoes.. and see it from another standpoint. Good Job LG! They say "You want what you can't have!" and you guys' are definitely making many want the LG more by keeping us on our toes.. well at least for me you are!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
the v10 IMO was the most underrated smartphone in 2015. Even some of the top competitor review companies didn't even give it a score rating which I found odd. As a professional photographer and cinematographer, the quality and features Combined of the camera for that year's release is unmatched, especially in the cinematography department with the Cinematic 24p mode! Was tired of using Filmic Pro, that was best suited for an iPhone and only had half the features working for some of my other android phones such as the s7 edge or when I had the note 7. On top of that, the audio recording was amazing.

Now with the V20.. what a well thought of and amazing upgrade! yah there are some quibbles about screen choice, lack of front facing speakers on a highly acclaimed top notch audio converting/recording/sounding phone, battery mah small increase, not waterproof or water resistant, Lack of Dual Pixel Phase Detection Autofocus like the Galaxy Line (that may be exclusively patent pending to Samsung) etc.. but when you weigh out the pros and cons against the competition.. the Pros outweigh the cons.. and i feel LG is playing the marketing game smart by giving soooo many Pre-Production Review Units to be reviewed by many of the top smartphone reviewers/vloggers/bloggers in the industry even after their first Official Apple-Esque style Launch that also took place in San Francisco 1 day before the iPhone 7 and until recently without an official release date for weeks... though LG has received heavy criticism for not taking advantage of the recent downfall of Samsung and their flagship Note 7 Worldwide recall... they looked passed it because they BELIEVE in their product and are entertaining a Niche market. I believe all the reviewers are giving LG all the right feedback they need to finalize and correct as much of the negative feedback they can that is possible in order to have a very well planned out release. Many people will disagree with me.. but sometimes.. you need to take a step back.. put yourselves in their shoes.. and see it from another standpoint. Good Job LG! They say "You want what you can't have!" and you guys' are definitely making many want the LG more by keeping us on our toes.. well at least for me you are!

Good points, but some keys point out that the V20 should not be priced at $800 and needs to stay at $700:

Display choice
No water proof (or dust proof)
Missing camera features that impact depth of field quality

If this puppy had a better LCD display, stereo speakers, better depth of field and water resistance (not water proof), I would probably not have got my replacement Note 7 (it rocks BTW) and been "happy" to pay $800.

Depth of field could be improved with firmware maybe..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Depth of field could be improved with firmware maybe..

Doubtful. Depth of field, in its true form, is determined by the aperture. Larger aperture (smaller f number), the less DOF, and vice versa. Cell phones have fixed aperture lenses, so it can't be changed. You also run into exposure issues by changing the aperture. Making it smaller for more DOF will reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor, hurting low light performance.

About the only possible way to increase the DOF would be with focus stacking. That could be doable with still objects, but would have issues similar to HDR with a action shots because it requires multiple exposures.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Doubtful. Depth of field, in its true form, is determined by the aperture. Larger aperture (smaller f number), the less DOF, and vice versa. Cell phones have fixed aperture lenses, so it can't be changed. You also run into exposure issues by changing the aperture. Making it smaller for more DOF will reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor, hurting low light performance.

About the only possible way to increase the DOF would be with focus stacking. That could be doable with still objects, but would have issues similar to HDR with a action shots because it requires multiple exposures.

Samsung nailed DOF and low light with the Note 7. Low light on Note 7 is even better than the 7 Edge.

Maybe the V30 will fix that, add stereo speakers, water resistance and a better display :) That would be $800 worthy, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech