V20 potential issues?

Hexus

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, I will be upgrading to a new phone by the end of this month, which was supposed to be the Samsung S7(Not the Note) but then I saw that the LG V20 is coming out Nov 5th, and I was wondering if it would be worth waiting for it, but then there is one major thing that is making me reluctant on doing so.

Last time I decided to choose the G3 instead of an S5, I ended up with a phone that stopped working one year later due to constant boot loop, now I thought it would be an isolated incident, but after warranty it happened again, it also occurred to a friend of mine who had a G4, after warranty repair, his phone stopped boot-looping but his camera stopped functioning entirely. Checking online of these issues, I see that I am not alone in this, there are a lot of threads on the context of LG G3, G4, G5 and V10 having these issues.

So finally, do you all thinking it is possible the V20 with come down with this issue? If so I would want to go through the hassle again even though its a really nice phone, the last one left me a bit sour.

Thanks all for input.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central.

I've moved your thread to the LG V20 forum, where it will be noticed more by other members who are interested in this device.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I will be upgrading to a new phone by the end of this month, which was supposed to be the Samsung S7(Not the Note) but then I saw that the LG V20 is coming out Nov 5th, and I was wondering if it would be worth waiting for it, but then there is one major thing that is making me reluctant on doing so.

Last time I decided to choose the G3 instead of an S5, I ended up with a phone that stopped working one year later due to constant boot loop, now I thought it would be an isolated incident, but after warranty it happened again, it also occurred to a friend of mine who had a G4, after warranty repair, his phone stopped boot-looping but his camera stopped functioning entirely. Checking online of these issues, I see that I am not alone in this, there are a lot of threads on the context of LG G3, G4, G5 and V10 having these issues.

So finally, do you all thinking it is possible the V20 with come down with this issue? If so I would want to go through the hassle again even though its a really nice phone, the last one left me a bit sour.

Thanks all for input.

The G5 does not have a lot of boot loop issues

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the G4 had massive bootloop issues, but I'm of the opinion that every new smartphone model is likely to have some issue common to it. So in terms of reliability, it's almost a pick your poison situation.

That being the case, I don't put much thought into it unless it's a model that's been out a while. For example, would you rather risk a bootloop or a fire had the Note 7 still been an option? So now I just buy an extended warranty and call it a day. Normally extended warranties are a ripoff, but I no longer think so on phones and Verizon is only $4/mo covering the life of the device.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I have only had my LG V10 for a little less than a year and I have nothing but Great praise for it.
I personally look forward to getting a V20.
Have LG phones had problems, I guess so (as I have read). But I have not. So no matter what phone you buy, you roll the dice. If you are worried, do as Mooncatt said.

Lateck,

hou33guy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
c3d8dfa3933973a915d50a4c62144934.jpg

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I switched to LG from Samsung 3 years ago and I have been very happy and I have NOT had any bootloop issues or any issues. On my third phone LG G5 (with a small case on it) and very happy. I want the V20 as another upgrade is available in November.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Nougat and a slightly bigger battery will help the V20. I think it will be an improvement.

Initial reviews show similar battery life to the V10 and slightly less than the MXPE, but what matters is ones own use compared to their own previous devices. If the user is happy- all good :)

Seems battery life would be a little better, but brighter LCD display. Same tech as the V10, but they increased brightness. Easy to correct lowering the brightness though.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
With the ability to swap batteries, does it matter?
Exactly. It's not an issue. It's surprising how many people don't take advantage of removable batteries. I can't use a phone without removable batteries after owning the G3 or G4. I don't like having to constantly charge my phone or monitor battery life. I like being able to go from 0% to 100% in seconds as needed.

SalScal

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I have only had my LG V10 for a little less than a year and I have nothing but Great praise for it.
I personally look forward to getting a V20.
Have LG phones had problems, I guess so (as I have read). But I have not. So no matter what phone you buy, you roll the dice. If you are worried, do as Mooncatt said.

Lateck,

SalScal

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
Make sure you have all you want to keep on the sd card. my V10 was the best phone I ever had, but it bootlooped and I lost everything. Some tricks posted on Youtube helped but, still working on it.
If you notice the battery draining quickly, its a sign that it will bootloop.
Good luck.

OhAlfie

Banned
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just don't trust LG phones after my G2 had what I guess was the bootloop from hell. I was so mad when it bricked my phone. Never again.

I'm extremely happy with my new (2 weeks) ZTE A7, beast of a phone and can be found for $400 and possibly less. Got mine for $350.

SO many nice features for half the cost almost of the V20.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
The battery on my LG V20 (AT&T) is great! Via the LG fast charger and USB-C, it charges super fast. Every night, I charge it to 100% before I go to sleep and when I wake up in the morning 7 hours later, it is still at 100% or at 99%. I can go 7 day time hours with minimal use at work before I need to charge it. Even when I use it a lot, the drain is very slow. I also got an extra V20 battery and the LG Battery Charging cradle (BCK-5200) to charge the second battery. Now I can go out without having to carry a power bank or a power cord. When I first bought it, I was concerned with the 3200 mAh battery having enough power to last. Thankfully, this battery is strong enough for this phone. My only complaint is the lack of a battery full indicator except some tiny battery icon on top that I cannot see clearly. So I downloaded an app (Battery Notifier) to play a sound when the phone is fully charged.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey