New v20 first impressions 2 days from N7 and Iphone 6s

Wazzupp2016

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Quick two day impression.
First of all, I’m a loyal Samsung Note 7 fan. I was patient through the flames and was disappointed in the cancellation of the product. Looking forward to their new lines.
Now, after switching to LG v20 (debated S7 Edge), I am very satisfied. I am an audio person so the DAC isn’t that impressive but a lot better than the Note 7 or Iphone 6s (previous). Larger screen, didn’t want airport people to confuse N7 with S7. If S7’s started to smoke then what? – Probably all of the same questions that ran through your mind……..
Pro:
I love the dual screen, much better than the always on N7. Here are things that I like:
Removable battery – battery life is not a problem for me easily lasting a day and a half.
B&O headphones are better that the el cheapo’s that comes with others.
3.5 audio jack so I can use my better headphones. I still like my Sony NW-zx100 for audio playback.
Plays FLAC – my entire CD collection is on flac and great to have on a phone when I don’t have my NW-zx100. Copy-paste video and audio to SD or Phone, Back up to SD, etc (easily).
Having the on-off switch on the back makes this phone great because you will never inadvertently turn on the screen. I program two fingers on my left and my index on the right – perfect for me. I use a ring that sticks to my case so use it for watching videos and additional holding support with either hand.
Nougat is good and easily maps my N7 as far as widgets and apps to include the back, home and clear all buttons on the bottom. Maybe not 100% but close enough for me.
Great storage – using 256GB for now.
Having withdrawals with stylus – I bought a pen/ stylus to us with the LGv20. It works fine as I can now use the note capture and swipe, etc with a stylus and write with the ink pen.. You will find a lot of retractable pen/styli – search.
Love the IR-InFared remote control feature – I control my TV/stereo through the phone.
Con:
Not waterproof. Not a big deal breaker for me.
Slightly larger – but appreciate the larger flat screen on v20 and the mini second screen. I also use a Plantronics headset for calls so the phone is usually in my backpack.
No wireless charging.
Smaller battery. Maybe someone will make a 4000mh to fit in the future?

Not too much experience with camera yet...

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I pre ordered the V20 but want your opinion since Coming from the Note 7 as well. I looked at the Demo v20 in person and right away I noticed screen colors were no where near aa vibrant as note 7. Easy to adapt to or do look at screen still and think it looks a little washed out aftet using note 7 for a few montha?

Wazzupp2016

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes, that maybe true in the technology differences but it really doesn't bother me as the clarity seems to be the same. I had the N7 since August 22 to October 17th. I miss the n7 but needed a traveling phone in the interim and this fits perfectly fine...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are mainly an audio fan the V20 seems a no brainer. How much SOT with a day and a half? Based on current reviews, that means maybe two hours worth to get the far?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
LG says that the screens are more natural, instead of super vibrant and "fake" so if you guys are used to the Galaxy line's screens, you will definitely notice the difference.

jabtano

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
What is the case that you are using. Also I ordered mine today did my jumps on T-MO from a S6 edge plus. I am liking what I'm hearing about this device.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Quick question! Got to hold a V20 today at AT&T. It was a non-working display model so not exactly the real thing, but close.

One thing I noticed that bothered me is that the back cover did not fit flush with the device. The edges kind of stuck out on the side corners on the top and bottom of the cover. Is this the case of the retail model?

It was worse than how people described the gap on the G5's chin. Not exactly a premium feel. I have a feeling it was just a janky display model, though.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Concerned about the screen brightness as well. Compared the note 7 with the v20 and iPhone 7 plus. The note 7 was much brighter than both.
6d6696d64a38454f2a156c9c22c3b74e.jpg

Wazzupp2016

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, don't know the manufacturer. I think I saw it in the v20 cases thread.. It was given to me at the time of purchase. I added the folding and twisting ring.

Wazzupp2016

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Battery cover is a perfect fit - really perfect!

Screen brightness is not a problem - use the demo for a while. The clarity is great! I also didn't have to adjust the screen yet.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Quick question! Got to hold a V20 today at AT&T. It was a non-working display model so not exactly the real thing, but close.

One thing I noticed that bothered me is that the back cover did not fit flush with the device. The edges kind of stuck out on the side corners on the top and bottom of the cover. Is this the case of the retail model?

It was worse than how people described the gap on the G5's chin. Not exactly a premium feel. I have a feeling it was just a janky display model, though.
Must be a bad unit cause literally not one reviewer who got a pre-production unit reported that. And only a small few said it felt as cheap as the G5 while over 90% have raved about the build if the V20.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Must be a bad unit cause literally not one reviewer who got a pre-production unit reported that. And only a small few said it felt as cheap as the G5 while over 90% have raved about the build if the V20.

It was a non-working display model. Basically an empty shell. I had a feeling it was unique to this particular display since, like you said, no one with a review unit has mentioned this, but still wanted to ask just to be sure.

The actual metal felt nice compared to the G5, though I'd prefer something with more grip.

Battery cover is a perfect fit - really perfect!

Thanks for the clarification.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
this review has me feeling better. Missing wireless charging is the only major drawback, but they made some backs for the V10, maybe they will for the V20

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are mainly an audio fan the V20 seems a no brainer. How much SOT with a day and a half? Based on current reviews, that means maybe two hours worth to get the far?
2 hours? Holy cow. I hope that's wrong. I can get 3 to 4 hours SOT with my v10 depending in how bright screen is (if it's outside usage, it's closer to 3). Most I got was almost 5 with indoor (dimmer screen) use. With a slightly larger battery and more efficient SoC, I'd expect slightly better with a v20

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
2 hours? Holy cow. I hope that's wrong. I can get 3 to 4 hours SOT with my v10 depending in how bright screen is (if it's outside usage, it's closer to 3). Most I got was almost 5 with indoor (dimmer screen) use. With a slightly larger battery and more efficient SoC, I'd expect slightly better with a v20

Just bridging how it lasted 1.5 days (36 hours without charge). His use pretty much fits that. 1.5 days with a two displays (one a LCD 5.7") high end DACs that use more power, an 820 and the radios- not lasting longer than that as far as SOT with a 3200mah battery over 36 hours.

A normal workday of use should last at least 3 to 4 hours SOT for medium(4) to heavy(3) users- presuming a charger is available in the evening. Just like most LCD devices. Heavy being using the GPU the entire time non stop.

A good stress test is Maps over LTE with display on whole time. Maps is a resource hog.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34