LG doesn't seem to want to win

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
There was an enormous opportunity for LG with the v20s primary competitor, the note 7 being out of play. Quite literally a couple MILLION people suddenly and unexpectedly needed new phones immediately, and the replacement they all want is much like what LG is ready to launch. With LG stumbling recently, and not having success with some prior releases it seems unbelievable that they would have not better taken advantage of Samsung’s predicament.

As a note 7 user, if this phone was released even a little early, I would have gone for it. If there was some messaging from LG directed at me, I may have gone for it. If there was a special promo I would have gone for it. What makes it even more painful, is that the v20 seems like it was announced months ago at this point, yet it is still not available.

I am not saying an early release would not have logistical challenges, (although VZ seems to be doing it a week early without too much issue) but literally with every day passing people are going to trade in Note7s and the vast majority need a new phone, right then, right now. Reasonable people are not willing to walk around with a Note7 while they wait for the v20 to launch. Can you imagine how many people have already got an s7edge as a replacement because it was all they could get that was even remotely comparable???

iPhone 7 inventory is becoming more available every day and the Pixel is ready to ship tomorrow or Friday. The window of opportunity is quickly passing. LG will sell a lot more v20s than they would have without the note7 debacle, but the opportunity to sell millions more seemed to have been missed, by 2 weeks.

As it stands now, I will have my Pixel XL this weekend and one of the primary reasons I went Pixel is that I can get it before I can get the v20.

alexeisch

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I will be getting my V20 Friday and understand that a lot of people are getting theirs today...not sure what carrier you are with though so that may have something to do with it.

Personally I am extremly dissapointed that I had to send back my beloved N7. I really loved that phone.....that being said, there was no way for LG to predict what would happen to Samsung and their N7 fiasco. I am sure they had deadlines and production times that were set well before the whole debacle started with the N7. I am sure it would be hard to adjust those times based on Samsung's issues.

I do see your point but have to say that all in all the timing of this couldn't be better for LG or Google. They are going to catch a lot of the people that are not willing to jump back into a Samsung......

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Other than VZ, I don't see where else it can be had Friday. And if it can be had Friday, why is LG not officially saying so?

The writing was on the wall re the second recall and production stop of the N7 on 10/10. If LG messaged within a few days that they were moving up the launch date to 10/20 in order to help accommodate Note 7 users in need, they would have sold a ton of phones! Yes, difficult to do, but even a gesture in that direction would have won them business and credibility with note users who were making a decision on what to do.

His Majesty

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Well, not only that, but there's inconsistency. Why aren't all retailers releasing on the same day? Sprint, I have to wait another week and a half. I mean, I will, but it would nice to get this stick of Samsung dynamite off my hands asap.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Well, not only that, but there's inconsistency. Why aren't all retailers releasing on the same day? Sprint, I have to wait another week and a half. I mean, I will, but it would nice to get this stick of Samsung dynamite off my hands asap.

Exactly... I'm with AT&T and it's next week..... I hope

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The Note 7 was released earlier than it should have and we all know how that turned out. Why are people saying the V20 should also have been released early?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The Note 7 was released earlier than it should have and we all know how that turned out. Why are people saying the V20 should also have been released early?
I think the majority of the negativity stems from the time between launch event and actual availability. Launch event was first week of September and then no actual availability until now is a long time. If they had done the launch event the first of October then actual availability now or the 28th as officially announced, there wouldn't be so much talk about the timing and the missed opportunity.

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Other than VZ, I don't see where else it can be had Friday. And if it can be had Friday, why is LG not officially saying so?

The writing was on the wall re the second recall and production stop of the N7 on 10/10. If LG messaged within a few days that they were moving up the launch date to 10/20 in order to help accommodate Note 7 users in need, they would have sold a ton of phones! Yes, difficult to do, but even a gesture in that direction would have won them business and credibility with note users who were making a decision on what to do.

A lot of folks have gotten their V20 yesterday, and tmobile told me their retail stores will sell them tomorrow.

sgtd

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
A lot of folks have gotten their V20 yesterday, and tmobile told me their retail stores will sell them tomorrow.
My local store said they will not sell the phone in store until the 28th because that is the "official" release date. I plan on going back tomorrow to ask someone else as I'm not very confident the person I spoke with really knew what he was talking about. I asked to see the V20 demo model and he showed me the V10...

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Worst rollout I've seen a long time. Dont forget the teaser marketing for this phone began August 4th that it was coming.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

I received mine from T-Mobile today and I ordered Monday night. I spoke to a rep at a local store today about rebates and he said they will not be selling them in store until 10/28. If you go to claim the rebate for the B&O earphones it says cannot start redemption until 10/28. I was hesitant about getting this phone but I must say, it is pretty amazing and the second screen is awesome. Much more value in this phone than the Google Pixel XL.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I received mine from T-Mobile today and I ordered Monday night. I spoke to a rep at a local store today about rebates and he said they will not be selling them in store until 10/28. If you go to claim the rebate for the B&O earphones it says cannot start redemption until 10/28. I was hesitant about getting this phone but I must say, it is pretty amazing and the second screen is awesome. Much more value in this phone than the Google Pixel XL.

Better looking too. The bezels on the pixel are huge and unsightly.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Mine will be here tomorrow.....tmobile customer have been receiving shipments since yesterday......

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
While I get what you're saying, we never really know why companies do what they do when it comes to things like launch dates. Maybe the V20's launch date couldn't have been pushed ahead - not because LG is missing the mark, but because last-minute adjustments or testing needed to be done, etc.

All that being said, I think people will for sure jump to Google or LG products in light of recent events.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Cant knock the Pixel XL - its just different. Every review yesterday was glowing and their stock price jumped because of it.
Plus, it has a better camera, larger battery, amoled screen, newer 7.1 software, faster processor, support from google (lg is horrible).

V20 is just different and has other advantages. Just pick what you want ,and which features are most important to you.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Primary reason I waited on the V20 was to have the removable battery, IR and expandable memory. Pixel doesn't offer any of those things. I'm sure it's a great phone and I guess if you've primarily been an iPhone user and want to experience Android then that may be the best choice for you.

But I agree about LG and their poor handling of the V20 release. I've discussed it with others here about it over the past month. They really blew a golden opportunity to capitalize on the Note 7 failure. I have no idea what they were thinking other than they weren't.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I bet we see you next week with a v20 in hand.

Ya it would be nice if Lg catered to me personally and catered to my impatience but I understand phone releases are a process. Geez, the 2nd recall was just announced a little over a week ago. As it stands Tmobile customers are getting the V20 early. I handed in my note 7 seven days ago and will have the V20 next week. I am impatient but having a decent phone 2 weeks after a 2 month run of note 7 hell is not too bad of a timeline in my book. If the v20 was 3 weeks from now i would still wait for it, NO WAY am i going for the awful looking iphone clone called the pixel. Those pixel bezels are horrendous , makes the phone look so dated compared to the gorgeous looking V20

I'm loving this phone so far, more so than the Note 7.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm one of the Note 7 die hards that settled with a s7e. Unfortunately mine is only 8 days old and starting to experience some screen issues. I'm probably going to return it and go with a v20.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad